canaan valley this weekend
13 posts
7 users
1k+ views
snowangel
December 8, 2005
Member since 12/7/2005 🔗
3 posts
my friends and i are heading there to take advantage of finding a great price on a rental and the $5 tickets.

according to the website though, there are only three trails open. and they all look way too easy. we've never been to CV. can someone tell me if they plan to open more runs? and hopefully a few more of the ones toward the top of the mountain?
gatkinso
December 8, 2005
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
CV is slow to open top to bottom. The currently open trails are not worth the drive.

Timberline would be a better bet if they do not open more.
snowangel
December 8, 2005
Member since 12/7/2005 🔗
3 posts
ugh. i knew this would happen. my friend called and they said they plan on opening two more runs at least. yuck.

what's the best way to get there from rockville? mapquest says to take 270 to 70, but that looks a little out of the way then cutting through virginia.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
December 8, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
I just looked at their website and I can't find a snow conditions report. Could this mean that they are not open at all?
snowcone
December 8, 2005
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Most accurate site for road conditions in WV is ... http://www.wvdot.com/14_roadconditions/14_roadcond.cfm ... scroll down toward the bottom for ski area conditions.
gatkinso
December 8, 2005
316 posts
Not to worry - Timberline is open top to bottom... and I suspect CV will be this weekend.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
December 8, 2005
2,337 posts
Nice road conditions page. However there is no link for the ski areas. Words are there but not a link.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 8, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Directions:

I-270 to Frederick
I-70 to Hancock
I-68 to Cumberland
Exit on US-220 South on the outskirts of Cumberland
Route 220 South to Route 50 West at New Creek, West Virginia
Right on SR-93 just beyond New Creek
Left on SR-32 at Davis
Follow 32 to Timberline or Canaan Valley

For expert terrain (as well as a good beginner trail): Timberline is your best bet.
gatkinso
December 8, 2005
316 posts
That is how I go but a short cut is to:

220 -> 972 -> 50

I guess what you call New Creek I call Scherr?? It sounds the same.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 8, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Gat:

I think this corrects the error:

Directions:

I-270 to Frederick
I-70 to Hancock
I-68 to Cumberland
Exit on US-220 South on the outskirts of Cumberland
Route 220 South to Route 50 West at New Creek, West Virginia
LEFT on SR-93 just beyond New Creek
Continue RIGHT on 93 at Scherr
Left on SR-32 at Davis
Follow 32 to Timberline or Canaan Valley
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
December 8, 2005
2,337 posts
Thanks everyone. I think I have been misunderstood, perhaps my own fault. I know how to drive to the valley; been going there for 20 yrs. What I wanted back when this started was a snow conditions report for CV ski area. I still have not found one. It doesn't seem to be on CV's home page, maybe I missed it. If it really isn't there that is astonishing. They are a business and need customers to make money - right? The highway conditions page that somebody gave doesn't have snow reports either. Near the bottom they have 'ski resort areas' but click on it. That's right, there is nothing there.

The snow situation looks good so I am going. I am not interested in skiing at CV, only in access to the backcountry.

Thanks all for your answers.
JohnL
December 8, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

I know how to drive to the valley; been going there for 20 yrs.

Sounds like your car can drive itself to the valley. All you have to do is back it out of the driveway, take a glance at your skis, and it will take over from there.

I had a car like that once. 'Cept it kept want to go to Dewey.
tomimcmillar
December 8, 2005
Member since 11/21/2004 🔗
129 posts
Denis
Quote:

The snow situation looks good so I am going. I am not interested in skiing at CV, only in access to the backcountry.

Thanks all for your answers.

Last wknd I think CV had just started to blow snow on the upper mtn, maybe along the lift w/ the mid station, don't know the name, but it was turning, don't know if they were using it though....we skied off Gravity Drop a couple times and didn't pay much attention to what the lifts were doing on our way back over to WG. If they haven't begun to blow snow on it, GravtiyDrop should be in prime poach condition again, easy enough to figure that out from BaldKnob.

I think for CV trail condtions, you click on the trailmap, and the open trails/lift will magically appear, oooh, ahhhh, kinda lame I think....not sure about snowfall stats though.

Maybe see you out there on Saturday.
Tom

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.