237 posts
check it out!! awesome!
North Camp webcams

Comments?
tommo
December 7, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
I think it's going to get better yet! They have built small towers (about 20') all over the mountain with cameras up top. I suspect that they'll be able to keep an eye on the whole place from the Ops center. I don't know what the refresh rate will be or if they are remotely controllable, but I think we're in for a new level of reliable, on the slope, see it for yourself, conditions reporting as the whole system comes on line. (It's frigging addictive, though, to be able to check out live conditions from anywhere.)
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 7, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Do you think new black diamond Over the Edge is as steep as The Face? It's hard to tell from webcam. But easy to see they have a massive snowmaking effort going all over the mtn.

In some respects Mid-atlantic skiing may play second fiddle to the rest of the ski world, but when it comes to snowmaking our resorts can lay it down like a spotlight grabbing guitar solo by Stevie Ray Vaughn!
SeaRide
December 7, 2005
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
Not sure about how steep it is on 'Over The Edge'.

Look at the width of Ridge Run using two snowmobile on your right as size reference if you will. What does that tell you? Wider than Sally at Tline, no?
http://www.mavcosys.com/images/wisp/2.jpg
kennedy
December 7, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
That just tastes of bomber. Right there tree line to treeline carves I can just see it. Flat out, apexing a turn and letting the centrifugal force pop me over to my other edge as the board wheelies slightly mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
tommo
December 7, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
Quote:

Do you think new black diamond Over the Edge is as steep as The Face?

Before it was graded and the vaults were installed, I think it was almost as steep but considerably longer than Face, though it didn't have the dual fall line. I haven't been on it since the final grading was done, but it looks like they reduced the grade somewhat, esp. at the bottom.

As to the trail width, Ridge Runner is not real wide (about like Timber or Sally in CV,) but it's really just a connecting trail between the top of Lift 7 and the base of Lift 6. Overall, I think Aces and Whip Saw are going to become the best runs on the mountain, with Over the Edge providing some steeper fun.

Really, I think the expansion is going to improve the Wisp experience by giving beginner/intermediate a whole set of new runs that are appropriate to their ability, which will relieve the chaos on Wisp Trail and Boulder. At the same time, it will radically increase the variety of trails for more advanced sliders. It makes for 4 distinct areas within the resort, with about 4 miles or so between Lift 7 and Mainstreet by road!
Kris
December 7, 2005
Member since 03/15/2005 🔗
248 posts
Looks like they should have that whole area open for the big weekend...And if they get a little help from mother nature (6"+)...Its gonna make for some good times...I just hope there is still some fresh tracks to be made in some fresh pow pow sunday when i get there...

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?