Trail Predictions for whitetail
14 posts
8 users
2k+ views
langleyskier
December 6, 2005
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Ive got to say they will open with all greens, stalker, and upper and lower angle. Then on saturday open Limelight, drop-in, exhibition, and ridge runner. Anyone else?
therusty
December 7, 2005
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
They better hurry for Drop In. The web cam finally showed it this morning. They haven't blown a flake on it yet.

At the rate they've blowing Northern Lights and Velvet, they're going to have a 2 foot base over there by Saturday.

Limelight is building up, but what's up with the bare spot to the viewer's left of the Limelight Homerun merge?
tromano
December 7, 2005
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
All the bare spots on lime light should be taken care of with grooming. Right?
Scott - DCSki Editor
December 7, 2005
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Whitetail has formally announced (on the home page of their web site) the number of trails that will be open on opening day. All of the beginners should open, plus Angel Drop/Home Run. Limelight will probably open within several days after that. They haven't made snow on Drop In yet, but in past years I've seen them cover that trail in a day or two (it's short). Expedition's cover still looks a bit thin but should be ready to go by late weekend or early next week.

Four lifts will be running Friday: the Express, Easy Rider, Lift Off, and U-Me Double.
RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
December 7, 2005
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts
Can anyone comment on the reliability of Whitetail's website? Would be great to wake up Saturday morning and actually know what is open before hitting the road...

Also, should be interesting to see what is open after - 2? 4? 6? - inches falls this Friday.
tromano
December 7, 2005
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Check the snow report before you leave, don't take their apriori estimate for granted. WT's snow report is very reliable as far as what trails are open and their condition. There is a web cam so you can see for your self.
JohnL
December 7, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

Can anyone comment on the reliability of Whitetail's website? Would be great to wake up Saturday morning and actually know what is open before hitting the road...

I've always found Whitetail's web site to have been accurate wrt what trails are open. I don't know what time they update the trail report in the AM, but you can check the webcams the previous day to get some idea if trails may be closing due to sketchy cover or may open since enough snow has been blown.
JohnL
December 7, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Tim beats me by one minute.
kennedy
December 7, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I always trust the cams over the reports. If it looks anyway bare on camera it will be really bare in actuality. One thing that always gets me is the exit from lower angel. They usuall have a huge kicker just at the end so when you land on the steep downface you're at warp. Then you have to hit the brakes straight away to avoid the netting. An because everyone has to scrape through the netting that area is usually rubble by lunch time.
antipod
December 7, 2005
Member since 10/18/2005 🔗
6 posts
On a little bit of a different topic. What's the Whitetail terrain park like? Is it really a difficult park or is it similar to Liberty's? Is it steeper than Liberty's? I can't seem to find any pics on it from previous seasons...
Maybe I'll bump into some of you up there this weekend..
therusty
December 7, 2005
422 posts
ok, let's see ...
The bare spot on Limelight needs snowmaking. It's a huge patch. At best they could make a narrow path on skiers left. You can see it on the web cam pics every now and then in the first camera. It's just above the Limelight/Snow Dancer merge. When Limelight opens, it would be wise to stick to skiers left when approaching the home run merge.

Whitetail has not announced which which trails will be open. My guess on the trails is Northern Lights, Almost Home, Velvet, Snow Park, Stalker, and Upper and Lower Angel Drop. First Tracks should also be open, but the magic carpet won't be running. My bet is that Home Run will also be open (Are they counting Angel Drop as one trail or two?). Limelight and Home Run should be open Sunday at the latest. If they don't start making snow on Drop In soon, they won't have Exhibition open this weekend. It takes at least 36 hours of snowmaking to get Drop In open. Although Ridge Runner is not labelled for snowmaking in progress, I thought I saw a web cam pic earlier in the week that showed some snowmaking going on over there.

Natural snow has no practical impact on trail openings. Natural packs down 10-1 to base. It takes 10 inches to add one inch of base. It takes a minimum of 10-12 inches of base to open a trail. You can often see this on Exhibition under the chair. Whitetail rarely makes snow directly under the chair (until near the top). Look for the bamboo markers. We often get enough natural snow to suck people into going over there for freshies. It looks ok but there are base eating rocks lying in wait. With all the natural snow predicted, there will be plenty of other enticing spots to risks your bases on. Don't do it people unless you have rock skis.

The snow reports are reliable as they can be. You have to understand that when a 12 inch base depth is reported, there are going to be spots where the snow is 2 inches deep and spots where the snow is 3 feet deep. Judy usually updates the page right after 6AM.

There will be no huge kicker at the bottom of Angel Drop until base depths are built up. If tradition has it, there will be a few small hits appearing in Jib Junction on day 1 or day 2. Kennedy -> I'll tell Maury to put a net up with your name on it ok?
kennedy
December 7, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
To be honest their park last year was pretty decent. They had some monster tables and some really gnarly technical stuff, like a 15-20 table with a take off either side of a 15' sex change rail (trust me if you mess up you'll know where the name comes from) The only downside is that lower angel flattens out so you need to link everything together pretty well to maintain momentum throughout the park. Screw up on one jump and you just can't get enough pace for the second. Put it all together though and you have some sweet lines. A solid mix of big and small they have some big tables, smaller kickers, low level and technical rails, straight box, c box, large diameter pipe (hard to hit)rainboaw rail I think single, double barrel and flat rails, I want to say they had a battleship rail last year and a step down box. Pipe is not bad but tends to be bullet proof one side and gets pretty cut up.
therusty
December 7, 2005
422 posts
Ok - cam2 is pointing up to the top now. They are starting to blow in the bare spot on Limelight from the bottom and Home Run is looking great.
therusty
December 8, 2005
422 posts
Whitetail's web site indicates that Limelight and Home Run will not be open on Friday. My guess is that these will open on Saturday though. 7 trails = counts upper and lower angel drop as one trail.

I saw one rail planted off to the side in Jib Junction. Hopefully, they'll groom some snow over there overnight. It also looked like they started to blow the very top of Drop In and the base for K lift today.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.