October 22, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
The forecast calls for a little white stuff tonight:

Forecast for Timberline:

http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USWV0189_f.html

Forecast for Snowshoe:

http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USWV0703_f.html

It will change to rain tomorrow but hey, this is only October. It's a harbinger of good things to come.

[This message has been edited by johnfmh (edited 10-22-2003).]

(Anonymous)
October 22, 2003
that forecast they give for timberline is really for petersburg,wv 2000' below. BIG diff!! Might be a inch or 2 up high.they always use elkins or petersburg for the valley f-cast.Elkins is more like it but still way off.when will davis get a weather sta??
(Anonymous)
October 22, 2003
Just studied the f-cast a little more & it looks like the weather channel(who yahoo uses)has tweeked the temp f-cast to more resemble the valley temps(they are still guessing)they are still using petersburg as the current temp for timberline(or davis)Which at 8:36 pm was 48 degrees with elkins reporting rain & 37 The radar shows no precip for the area which often happens up in the mtns petersburg is at 937' & elkins is at 1930' or somthing like that.bet it has been all snow in the valley since dusk or soon after. I think i need to get a life!!
Roger Z
October 22, 2003
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
No Andy... I need a life, not you. As proof: I can corroborate your hunch about the Weather Channel. They switched from Elkins to Petersburg for the local Canaan Valley forecast early last winter for some reason, but their long range forecast is set for the valley. Whitegrass has a link to the Tucker County zonal forecast if you go their "Reports Online" page, which is, imho, one of the coolest on-line ski pages on the web. They also have great topo maps of the Dolly Sods, links to articles... oooh I could go on and on but I think I've proven my point about not having a life.

Anyway: I hit some snow on the Massachusetts Turnpike on Sunday and am glad it followed me back!!!! Welcome Mr. Jack Frost!

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
October 23, 2003
1,986 posts
Chip Chase's WG web site is the best source of info and gossip on Canaan Valley weather. He also provides daily photos and descriptions of the snow quality in the valley during the season. Chip even tries to answer the great question: is it worth the drive?

www.whitegrass.com

Nordic skiing also ROCKS at WG.

gatkinso
October 23, 2003
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
SNOW! SNOW!

I am going to drink a beer at lunch to that.

October 23, 2003
1,986 posts
Chipper, the Appalachian Freeheel Gnome, posted some nice pictures of today's snow on his Whitegrass web site:

http://www.whitegrass.com/report.html

(Anonymous)
October 23, 2003
the oficial snow totals as of 8am are 1" at the valley floor(3280') & 1.8" up in canaan hts(3815") So go up to mt porte crayon (4770")Anybody been up there this morn?? what did killington get last nite? That comparison might not be to fair to wv because they actually were part of the storm system while we were at the tail end of the leftovers.wv could open up much sooner than they do but without cust i guess the snow guns stay silent.
Roy
October 24, 2003
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
I was in New Hampshire on Wednesday and drove back yesterday (Thursday). They had an inch of snow with more up in the higher elevations.

It's soooooo good to see some snow.

October 27, 2003
1,986 posts
As of Saturday morning, 25 October, there was still snow on my roof and on White Lightning. Everying melted, however, by the afternoon.

[This message has been edited by johnfmh (edited 10-27-2003).]

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?