Anyone else doing the Jack Frost Party?
12 posts
4 users
6k+ views
Swimmer
December 2, 2005
Member since 02/3/2005 🔗
143 posts
I'm planning to make my way into Whitegrass on Saturday for some bluegrass and good company. Anyone else from this site gonna be there as well?

Steve
tomimcmillar
December 2, 2005
Member since 11/21/2004 🔗
129 posts
Well, wasn't really planning on it. But with the new forecast and knowing some mtn bike buds are gonna be there, I might try to swing it.....sitting on the fence and need to weigh getting the house chores, leaf raking and such done now vs later along with a last minute rush to get all of the winter camping gear sorted out and packed up, along with travelling with the dog vs the normal day trip. For me to go solo, the snow usually has to be worth the trip, I love the party, but it can take a lot out of me when going alone, especially an overnighter.

I'd really like to make it, but I think logistics are working against me.

Forecast looks good for the rest of the week though, so might shoot for next wknd instead, when ski conditions will hopefully be over the top for sure.
jimmy
December 2, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Sounds like fun Steve. See you there!

jimmy
camp
December 2, 2005
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts
I'm headin' out tonight for tomorrow, but need to head home before the party. 12" is worth a solo for me right now.

sleepin' in the car in Davis or at WG trailhead.
tomimcmillar
December 5, 2005
129 posts
Quote:

I'm headin' out tonight for tomorrow, but need to head home before the party. 12" is worth a solo for me right now.

sleepin' in the car in Davis or at WG trailhead.

Hey Larry, did you make it over? Got a last minute email from Martee'n so met him at 8:30 in the WG lot. Neither of us could swing the party, so we searched far and wide for the good snow. Once again found virginal fluff over on the upper portion of CanaanValley. We made the most of it, but "Wouldn't wanna ski it much thinner than that." Spotted a group of peeps over on top of Baldy during our second lap on GravityDrop, pretty much the only folks we saw all day, not counting the culture shock at the CV lodge.

Lots of pics from the day: WhiteGrass, 12-3-05

Matree'n droppin' some Gravity:

And followed it with some snowy singlespeed love in Michaux on Sunday: Michaux in the Snow

Mocha vs Buck:

I guess the local lifts will be running this wknd????

Sorry that I missed the festivities, imagine it was the usual spectacular fun.
camp
December 5, 2005
660 posts
Quote:

Hey Larry, did you make it over?

Yes, I slept in Davis on Camp 70 Rd. and was in the WG parking lot by 7:30 and up soon after. I planned to do a quick scout run and come back to the lodge and look for friendly types. My quick scout turned out too long and I got back down around 10:00. Saw Marty's car parked right next to me.

I headed up toward the Sods on my lightweight compacts.
Yes, i'm kickin' myself....
tomimcmillar
December 5, 2005
129 posts
Quote:

Quote:

Hey Larry, did you make it over?

Yes, I slept in Davis on Camp 70 Rd. and was in the WG parking lot by 7:30 and up soon after. I planned to do a quick scout run and come back to the lodge and look for friendly types. My quick scout turned out too long and I got back down around 10:00. Saw Marty's car parked right next to me.

I headed up toward the Sods on my lightweight compacts.
Yes, i'm kickin' myself....

Yeah, and I was parked right next to Marty. I guess we might have seen your tracks from Roundtop heading up to Powderline where they turned left instead of out towards Bald. We were really surprised to be the first out to Bald, considering how much we dinked around in Springers...
camp
December 5, 2005
660 posts
yep, those were my tracks.
i headed over and down Powderline,
was trying out my new lighter weight gear,
that's what took me so long to get back down.

never again will I waste fresh snow on those skis.
jimmy
December 5, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Hey Steve way to go, Turns and Party on Saturday . Some party, my lack of preparedness Friday and the purile powder on Sunday kept me off the snow but what a party. Had to be 500 big kids, little kids, dogs, eating, drinking and celebrating the season. Great music, big bonfire. That had to be the the mother of all shotskis chipper was dancin around with. Met up with some old friends, made a lot of new ones. Great "ski" weekend.
camp
December 5, 2005
660 posts
Quote:

We were really surprised to be the first out to Bald, considering how much we dinked around in Springers...

I thought from your TR that you guys skied/skinned straight up to Bald from Springer?

Did you take Upper Springer or Boundary over to Roundtop first?
tomimcmillar
December 6, 2005
129 posts
Quote:

I thought from your TR that you guys skied/skinned straight up to Bald from Springer?

Did you take Upper Springer or Boundary over to Roundtop first?

Well, depends how you define 'straight up.' We played in the Springer driftlines up to the little pond and then jumped Upper Springer over to the outhouse. Turned right at the outhouse and followed the fenceline up to where we found your tracks just below Powderline......
camp
December 6, 2005
660 posts
Quote:

..jumped Upper Springer over to the outhouse. Turned right at the outhouse and followed the fenceline up to where we found your tracks just below Powderline......

I took that same route from Springer.
"Thought" about climbing up the Baldy steep face and around/under the rocks to the saddle. But w/o skins, I didn't stand a chance at getting up the steep section.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?