11 posts
9 users
1k+ views
Kris
December 2, 2005
Member since 03/15/2005 🔗
248 posts
9:30 am Friday...
Heavy snow warning for Tucker and Preston Counties in WV.

The local news station here just showed a Heavy Snow warning for tucker co. They say more than 6 inches by tonight. But looking at the radar, Im not so sure of it. We have around 2 maybe 3 inches here already...and its still snowing.
jonjon
December 2, 2005
Member since 04/2/2004 🔗
70 posts
As of 9:30 a.m. we've gotten 7.5" here in Davis and still snowing hard. Judging from Whitegrass' report, they have gotten less, which is unusual, but not unheard of. I've heard a report out of Garrett County of over 6" and I saw that Snowshoe had 4". Apparently one of those situations where the moisture flow is a better the farther north you are.

Anyway, looking good out here for any of you that want to head out this way and catch some fresh powder or do a little free heeling!
Chad
December 2, 2005
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
this certainly looks promising:

http://www.chart.state.md.us/travinfo/weatherStationCameras.asp?sysid=551&rpuid=14

this cam is at the 81-219 junction (keysers ridge). the savage mountain cam looks good too. wisp has their webcams up now too:

http://skiwisp.com/winter_webcams.htm

looks like a blizzard.

-chad
Roger Z
December 2, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Wish they'd get a winter photo or two of North Camp. Their August flyover shot is looking very dated with the blizzard conditions on their webcam!
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 2, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
I think this will mean one best opening weekends (10-11th) at Timberline in YEARS.

From following the web cam shots, it appears that their base held up well during the thaw (probably better than any other resort in the region: thanks high elevation for that).

Also, I think in retrospect, it was wise of T-line not to open for Thanksgiving. They've put their focus and reasources into preparing for a huge opener in a week.
tgd
December 2, 2005
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
Latest Tline webcam claims 10" of fresh as of 2PM today. Still snowing like crazy there.
snowcone
December 2, 2005
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Check out the horizontal snow at Dolly Sods! http://www.fsvisimages.com/doso1/doso1.html
fishnski
December 2, 2005
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Jonjon, Nice to have someone up there for reports! Looks like "THIS" storm is winding down..what did we get..a foot? Looks like there is a TON to come.No pressure, but a report once in a while would be appreciated!
jimmy
December 2, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Wondering if CV will have more than the triangle open this weekend? Andy, rite again, we need some local info, 411, 411....CV website no help?/
jonjon
December 2, 2005
Member since 04/2/2004 🔗
70 posts
Hey there -- I'll be glad to post obs from up here (I keep the weather stats for the local paper). I have measured just over 10" here in Davis, and Canaan Heights has measured about 12.2". Dave Lesher, the NWS coop observer up there has a sight that he updates during snow events

http://canaanweather.4t.com/whats_new.html

I think his obs are very helpful for those who want to come out this way to either T-Line or Canaan because at 3698' he would represent the conditions about halfway up the mountain.

Anyway, the upcoming weather looks great for natural snow and snowmaking for just about the entire rest of the month. Much better than last year at this time when we only had about 2.5" for the season (so far this season approaching 40"!!)

Snow is winding down now -- but more (with possible mix) coming tomorrow night. I'll update if we get anything.
jimmy
December 2, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Thanks jonjon, just talked to the lady at CV that takes tee times on the 800# and she said as far as she knows they'll just have the "beginers three open tomaorrow." I may have to take a "free" lesson tomorrow. All that snow and no lifts turned on no wonder there's so many pinners down there.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.