T'day powder at Mad River
4 posts
3 users
1k+ views
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 25, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
4 friends with willingness to climb for their turns met at the MRG parking lot at 9 yesterday. 14 degrees, some wind, 6" of new snow on the ground and more coming down fast. We spotted a car at the bottom and started in 800 ft. higher off the App Gap road and soon were skinning through 1.5 ft. of powder. We skied 2 runs off the double that can only be described as sublime. The scene was one you don't get during the seaon when lifts are running - all powder and all ours. There were windblown pillows everywhere. It was bottomless for all practical purposes with a very few hits on grass. We left happily exhausted and headed home for big dinners at 1. Not a bad deal having a daughter and son-in-law in VT.
POWPOW
November 25, 2005
Member since 05/10/2005 🔗
124 posts
Your making me miss the MRV. Glad your there having fun, its a great place to be.
JohnL
November 27, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Denis,

Sounds like your daughter married wisely.

How much more snow will it take for MRG to open? I'm not sure how much rain they'll get this week, but that could settle the base...

I'm visiting family in CT this weekend, but I was able to sneak away for two days in Southern VT (Sneaux and Okemo.) After seeing numerous sliders and tracks on a close trail in Sneaux's North Face, I ducked some ropes and was treated to some wind-blown knee deep. (And some funky transitions over waterbars.) While there is not enough base in Southern VT to open on natural alone, it was great seeing the entire mountain blanketed in snow in November.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 29, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Quote:

Denis,

Sounds like your daughter married wisely.

How much more snow will it take for MRG to open? I'm not sure how much rain they'll get this week, but that could settle the base...

I'm visiting family in CT this weekend, but I was able to sneak away for two days in Southern VT (Sneaux and Okemo.) After seeing numerous sliders and tracks on a close trail in Sneaux's North Face, I ducked some ropes and was treated to some wind-blown knee deep. (And some funky transitions over waterbars.) While there is not enough base in Southern VT to open on natural alone, it was great seeing the entire mountain blanketed in snow in November.

Yes, but I think that my son-in-law married even more wisely. Then again fathers are like that.

We followed up on the earned turns of T'day with a lift served day at Sugarbush North on Sat. (SB South not open yet). We took 8 yr. old Conor and 5 yr. old Patrick for their first day of the season. It snowed most of the day and everyone had a great time. At least a dozen trails were open and I did not hear the sound of edges on ice all day, just a soft swish and an occasional scrape on dirt & grass. Some natural snow only trails were open but they were a good bit bonier after lunch. I am a natural snow snob but must admit that crowds will chew up natural snow pretty fast. Even Upper FIS, possibly the steepest on the map run in the east, was open. Conor wanted to do it but Patrick isn't quite there yet. Both kids were asleep in minutes on the ride home.

Mad River could have opened and raked in some cash, however they are interested in having a bit better base before they open.
http://www.madriverglen.com/

As for hiking it if you can, that is a different story. Local super skier Mark Haviland maintains a webcam where the Long Trail crosses Rt. 17 at the top of Appalachian Gap, and files brief reports when there is snow. I mean really brief but really honest as well. It's one of my favorite sites.
http://www.madriver.com/users/appgap/

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?