Anyone else scared...
13 posts
11 users
1k+ views
Taylormatt
November 24, 2005
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
of the forecast from Sunday through Friday? 50's, possibly even 60's and rain with no snowmaking temps at night. Enjoy it Friday and Saturday, it may be all we have for awhile.
tommo
November 24, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
Some evil niar would certainly be typical at this time of the year. I would expect that those areas opening this weekend are going to concentrate on their "core" slopes because of it. Ideally, they'll lay down enough base to make it through early Dec. so that they can work on the heavy base needed for other slopes when Xmas rolls around. The bigger problem would be if warm temps persist for more than a week or so - that would jepordize plans for the rest of December and lead to limited Xmas week terrain.....
myrto
November 24, 2005
Member since 10/4/2001 🔗
259 posts
Temp drops again after Wednesday with highs in the low 40's which still means good snowmaking at night. Things will be fine.

In the mean time think of this weekend as a bonus.
nogoodnik
November 24, 2005
Member since 11/7/2005 🔗
49 posts
Goofy weather! I was hoping to get over to 7S monday morning to initiate a midweek pass. Oh well, if it's not raining I'll be there at the open and see how slushy it is.
Snowmakers
November 24, 2005
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
Correct. GFS shows large trough digging out, likely the southern portion of the stream goes into GA.

I think well be doin fine and dandy by Dec 2. After that, long range looks as if trough will stay and oly fluctuate at a more minor scale.

Here is spmething to hype about- Some hints of a weak storm around the 3rd. Will be all snow if temps are here in time.
TLaHaye
November 24, 2005
Member since 02/9/2005 🔗
136 posts
Warm air isn't really a problem, (other than precluding snowmaking) and the sun really isn't packing much of a punch right now (one month from winter solstice). What kills us this time of year is rain and high humidity/warm foggy days.
Snowmakers
November 24, 2005
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
Ya know, it really wont be all that warm (For this time of year). Ill have 59 and 39 during the warm spell, which is only +5 above agv.

Amazing how a week or 2 of bitter cold temps will spoil us an make us think its January...

If I remember right, Snowshoe opened a few yeard back with highs in the 50's. Just goes to show you, anything can happen in November.
Mountain Masher
November 24, 2005
Member since 03/13/2004 🔗
541 posts
Hang on! It looks like the weather is going to be a wild ride this Winter with the overall trend being an unsettled pattern for the mid-Atlantic. On the plus side, the mountains are likely to get blasted with some major snow storms. But the down side is that we're likely experience some significant melt downs and/or rain events. However, I think that most ski areas will be able to ride-out any mild spell that might come along.
JohnL
November 24, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

Hang on! It looks like the weather is going to be a wild ride this Winter with the overall trend being an unsettled pattern for the mid-Atlantic. On the plus side, the mountains are likely to get blasted with some major snow storms. But the down side is that we're likely experience some significant melt downs and/or rain events. However, I think that most ski areas will be able to ride-out any mild spell that might come along.

In other words, you'd better get while the getting's good, because it may not last long. That's pretty typical in the Mid-Atlantic.
Mountain Masher
November 24, 2005
Member since 03/13/2004 🔗
541 posts
I agree. It really does look like we're going to have a rather typical Winter.
tromano
November 24, 2005
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Yep...If its 12" powder one weekend expect glare ice or slush the next.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
November 25, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Because of work schedules, I won't be able to get out until Sunday--not the best day according the the latest forecasts... I may end up snake bit.
Kris
November 25, 2005
Member since 03/15/2005 🔗
248 posts
Still going to be in the upper 40's lower 50's on the mountain...Im plannin on being up there sunday too...Hope there is at least one or two blue's open...But i know thats wishful thinking...

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?