The Valley This weekend...
24 posts
13 users
3k+ views
Kris
November 20, 2005
Member since 03/15/2005 🔗
248 posts
Any of you think CV might be worth goin to sunday?

I bet Tline wont start the lifts...so im thinkin about CV...(depending on the weather)...I read somewhere that CV will open the day after Turkey day...and especially if they get a foot or so of snow this commin week...they will definately open...

anyone else thinkin of goin???
tgd
November 21, 2005
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
I'll be up there this week for Thanksgiving festivities. I had not seen anything about CV openning though and really don't expect it (I love surprises though). My opinion is that Tline will definately wait for Jimmy until the 8th. I would expect WG to open though - if it does I'll try to head over and warm up the XC skis.
wvrocks
November 21, 2005
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
I also heard that rumor about CV opening Friday. It sounds like it will just be the Bermuda Triangle of beginner terrain though. That all could change if we get rain from this storm instead of snow though.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
November 21, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
I'm hoping for Wisp, but I will go to CV if they can open anything significant (anything from the top of Weiss).
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
bawalker
November 21, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
John - If Wisp is open, look for me there on either Fri or Sat. I'm not sure yet which day.
November 21, 2005
1,986 posts
Baywalker:

If I make it, I will be there Sunday, but everything is up in the air right now because of the weather.
tommo
November 21, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
I wouldn't expect Wisp to have much (if anything) open by this weekend. They were able to blow snow on the face and squarrel cage, Possum, and a bit of Boulder on Friday. However, temps have been pretty warm since then, and the guns were off all weekend. I also took a look at the new slopes Saturday, and, while they are getting close, it looks like it will be iffy, even with good weather, for them to be open on the offical opening date of 12/10. Unless there is a major cold front, they **may** be able to have a couple of runs open from the top (most likely the 4 mentioned above) plus Bellyflop (the learning area with the carpet lift). To get more than that will require some consistently cold weather (the ground in GC is not yet frozen at all).

We all need to be realistic about skiing on Thanksgiving weekend - it is a rare thing, even in really good snow years....so let's not blast the areas for the limited terrain they are trying to open. It will pay dividends at Christmas if they can get any base started in the next couple of weeks.
jimmy
November 21, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

We all need to be realistic about skiing on Thanksgiving weekend - it is a rare thing, even in really good snow years....so let's not blast the areas for the limited terrain they are trying to open. It will pay dividends at Christmas if they can get any base started in the next couple of weeks.

Tommo, Well put. Patience is a virtue. Good things come to those who wait. You can't fool mother nature.....

Just practicing my rationalizations
snowcone
November 21, 2005
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
You're right about the patience thing. Still, it's a killer having to stay home when Snowshoe is going to get such a beautiful dump. I guess we will just have to wait until the 15th ... we're up there for 4 days the weekend before xmas. Should be optimal conditions by then!
November 21, 2005
1,986 posts
On an optimistic note, the NOAA forecast for CV looks pretty good:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/ifps/MapClick.php?CityName=Davis&state=WV&site=PBZ

Significant lake effect could give them enough snow (along with what they make at night fron Tuesday onwards) to turn lemons into lemonade. Hard to say.

Thanks for the Wisp update Tommo. I'm basically scratching the Wisp idea based on your thoughts.
tommo
November 21, 2005
303 posts
Well...If that forecast turns out to be accurate, Wisp may get the front face trails open by the weekend. It'd still just be 1/4 of the area, but you could at least make some decent turns.

As to the expansion, the lifts are complete, all the snowmaking wands are up, lights are in place, and the control vaults are being finalized. On the other hand, the slopes are still freshly graded and relatively little grass was able to take hold. So, until the ground freezes and they can build a significant base, the risk of sinking ankle deep into mud is a very real issue.

As to CV, I've never seen them open anything significant before Christmas week. The beginner's triangle and maybe part of valley view/the drop, would be quite an accomplishment for this weekend. But, then again....

Personally, I'd put my money on Whitegrass as having the best conditions by Saturday And that'd be a GREAT time, indeed!
kennedy
November 21, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Overall areas around the great lakes look to be getting a warmer than average winter which may make for some good lake effect. It could be a decent winter.
jimmy
November 21, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Looking at the dolly sod cam earlier today, looks like cv blew from the mid station down to the triangle, Tline was white on white lightning/ silver streak and the base up to the mid-station.

Hey Fred, looked like the rails are up .
Kris
November 23, 2005
248 posts
Just for verification...CV will open Friday...

Hopefully with a foot of fresh sweetness...

CV's webpage says last 24 hours....10" of fresh...
November 23, 2005
1,986 posts
Thanks Kris.

NOAA UPDATE looks encouraging (maybe 14 more inches with luck).

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/ifps/MapClick.php?CityName=Davis&state=WV&site=PBZ
Rickh
November 23, 2005
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts
John are you up in the Valley today? If so, what's the word on open trails for this weekend at CV? Also, since you are right there. How are the conditions at TLine? Any idea if they are trying to open early?
November 23, 2005
1,986 posts
Rick:

No. I am in DC.

Timberline never opens early. Their opening date is the 8th and it's cast in stone.

As for CV, I have no idea. If they can open something significant, I may drive up this weekend. I also thought of coming up and day tripping to Wisp one day (probably Sunday). It's only an hour versus Snowshoe, which is two hours.

As KimW and other T-liners will tell you, T-line ain't the best when it comes to the early season. They basically don't care about it, so season pass holders usually end up commuting to other mountains during the first few weeks of the season. Some of us also ski WG, which is always fun when we get natural snow.
Rickh
November 23, 2005
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts
I know, they want a 3' base. I was being hopeful... I'm thinking the same thing about the weekend depending on CV. I think WISP would be a mad house, but so would the shoe. But, WISP probably has more people that are there for the holiday weekend with or without snow. I'm still waiting on the families skis to get tuned. Supposed to be ready today. Then again they awere supposed to be ready yesterday.... Good luck what ever you do.
Kris
November 23, 2005
248 posts
If you havent already...check out the dolly sods cam...its awesome...

Dolly Sods
tommo
November 23, 2005
303 posts
I'd be very suprised if Wisp is crowded at all. No one plans for ski trips in Novemmber, so the only folks who'll be skiing are people up there for the weekend who happen to be skiers and who feel like going out and a few day trippers. I'm sure there will be some folks, but I've never seen anything even approaching a crowd this early in the year.

As to conditions, Kennedy posted that Wisp is trying to open Face, SC, Wisp trail, and a couple of connecting runs. Those seem certain at this point, and I'm hoping for at least a couple more. Given that the weather looks perfect for snowmaking for the next several days, the opportunity to lay down a pretty good base is there. On the other hand, I'm sure it's a money losing proposition to make a whole lot of snow this early in the year - they won't be able to count on any heavy skier days until Xmas.... But, hey, it'll be skiing on TG weekend! What's not to like about that?
November 23, 2005
1,986 posts
I've never experienced big crowds in the early season either. You have to be pretty dedicated to change your plans at the last moment and go skiing the weekend after Thanksgiving. I called Ski Center and my skis are ready. The car is in the garage right now and snow tires are being installed.
tromano
November 23, 2005
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
The snows ahve been on for 2 weeks. I am going home to change my oil, wiper blades, and put some rainx on the glass. Its nearly "Go Time"...
tomimcmillar
November 23, 2005
Member since 11/21/2004 🔗
129 posts
yep, looks like the plan is WhiteGrass fer sure. Maybe poach a run or two at CV or Tline depending on what I find....now just need to get home to pull the gear out and do the packing shuffle......
Glenn_C
November 23, 2005
Member since 11/14/2004 🔗
67 posts
If you check out the snow pictures from Mon/Tue at CVR on their website, you'll notice they are blowing snow like gang busters on the green triangle. If CVR trail opening history is any indication, it's pretty much a given that the green triangle (Sissy Schuss, Bunny Buster & the "B" Slope) will certainly be open this weekend. Doesn't hold a lot of appeal for me unless they can drop their tickets to $10 or so. I'd be in. Even turns on a mild green is better than driving to the mad house that Snowshoe is going to be. And though it goes against some previous posts---I'm betting WISP will end up swamped as well. Holiday weekend with snow in the air. The Shoe and WISP are the only options for ski freaks. I expect them to be there en masse and with the limited trail openings, I'm betting on both resorts offering long lift lines and packed WRODs. For those of you making the trip to either, I hope I'm wrong---but I'll stick with CVR this weekend to be on the safe side. I might venture out to Wisp on the 12/3 & 12/4 weekend if reports from this Thangiving break come back positive and then back to Tline for their first weekend on 12/10 & 12/11. The greens at CVR can be a yawn but after 7 months without and a few stops in the pub, even Sissy Schuss can start looking like a killer midwest steep if the blood chemistry is right.
There is a ray of hope from what I could see. CVR also has their blowers going full tilt on the center blue/black mid-station combo (Valley Vista and The Face). If they can get these slopes open for the weekend that would certainly make things more interesting. This run can be a lot of fun with the right group. And again, at this stage of the game, I'd take a ten foot hill and some shaved ice. Given the forecast and assuming continued success with the guns, this mid-station opening is certainly possible with some artful grooming. Either way...I'll be at the CVR ticket window bright and early with the rest of the powder hounds.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?