Snowshoe to open Nov 23rd
13 posts
8 users
2k+ views
Roger Z
November 18, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
With possibly THIRTEEN runs (which means about two to three, top to bottom, I'm sure). It was nine degrees at the summit at one p.m. yesterday. NINE DEGREES, on November 17th. That's frickin' cold by any standard. Here's the report:

"Temperatures have dropped down into the single digits this morning and the snowmakers are busy piling up the snow across even more trails. In addition to the seven trails they were building snow on yesterday, they have added Stemwinder, Moonshine, Greenway Logslide, Mid Flume and Cut-off. That's 13 total trails! If the nice weather sticks around we are still planning on opening our trails to skiers on next Wednesday, November 23rd."
snowcone
November 18, 2005
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Not bad! Of course they will cover the narrow Basin slot but its definitely very promising that they are laying down on one of the far long greens [Log Slide]. Log Slide and Yew Pine, the 2 farthest north runs on the Basin side are their snow storage runs.

Its gonna be a GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD season!

Oh, and keep your fingers crossed; seems there are some unique meteorological elements coming together right after T-day that could lay down 12 or more inches in the mountains. Which mountains, Appalachian, Allegheny, Adirondacks, Green or White is the big money question. Sure hope is our mountains!
Mack
November 21, 2005
Member since 12/19/2004 🔗
34 posts
They're saying 3 lifts. Which would those be?

Powder Monkey, Skidder... and... Grabhammer???
Snowmakers
November 22, 2005
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
Skidder, Powder monkey, and either grabhammer or ballhooter would be my guess. Im there friday, ill put up a report for all you weekenders.
Kris
November 22, 2005
Member since 03/15/2005 🔗
248 posts
Just an update...I was hunting up Snowshoe yesterday...(monday)...I was on the top of Gauley Mtn in the evening and Beckwith Mtn in the morning...(both approx 4000'-4300')...It rained from about 11 am till dark...not a speck of snow...and i was on the top of the mountains...one spot i sat down, my gps said 4356'...and just pourin the rain...

It never really quit raining...kinda slacked off for a few minutes here and there...i hope the slopes arent real icy for opening day...
snowcone
November 22, 2005
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
From Snowshoe website dated Nov 21st :

"Snowshoe Mountain will be opening the slopes for the winter season this Wednesday, November 23rd. ...snip ... snowmakers were able to establish a base of at least two feet on all trails scheduled to open on Wednesday ... snip ... At least eight trails and three lifts are projected to be open when Snowshoe drops the ropes Wednesday morning. These trails include: Skidder, Crosscut, Tail Tree, Spruce Glades, Heisler, Whistlepunk, Powder Monkey, and Cut-off. The lifts that are anticipated to be running are Skidder, Grab Hammer and Powder Monkey, all in Snowshoe's basin area."

Looks like Logslide was dropped.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
November 22, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
NOAA is predicting up to 10 inches between now and Wednesday, and more from Wednesday into Thurs.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/ifps/MapClick.php?CityName=Snowshoe&state=WV&site=RLX

The new snow, if it comes, could change the equation, as will all the cold weather (which means good snowmaking).
Murphy
November 22, 2005
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Quote:

NOAA is predicting up to 10 inches between now and Wednesday, and more from Wednesday into Thurs.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/ifps/MapClick.php?CityName=Snowshoe&state=WV&site=RLX

The new snow, if it comes, could change the equation, as will all the cold weather (which means good snowmaking).

There's been reports of 3" in SW Virginia and 4" in NC since last night. Here's a pic I stole off of the SkiNc web page:

Roy
November 24, 2005
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
Snowshoe did open on Wednesday and I met a couple of buddies up there. They only had 2 trails open, 1 green and the terrain park. However, the terrain park only had 1 jump and 2 rails so they left plenty of room for a blue run.

The snow was great! It was nice and soft, powdery in some spots if you ventured way over to the sides of the trails. It was not too busy. The only wait was the lift op having to scan your lift ticket everytime (this is going to be a cluster at the bottom of ballhooter).

We left about 5 o'clock and it had been snowing lightly. About 6 o'clock, I could not see the road (covered in white), I could not see in front of me (big snowflakes were pounding the car), and I was trying to decide if I should stop in Cass and stay the night (yes that's 1 hour to get to Cass from Snowshoe and I took the new road, not the old road). The weather and roads continued to get pounded. When I got to Hwy 33, the roads were uncovered but the snow still had that hypnotic effect as it was falling.

The only bad thing of my trip was I was too stupid not to stay at snowshoe last night.
Snowmakers
November 24, 2005
222 posts
I picked off a quickly melting soon to be gone 3" last night.

Im deffinately gonna be at shoe friday. I cat wait for them -10 to -20 windchills (Straight from the NWS). Oh boy. But hey, Itll sure beat an ordinary November day when temps could reach 50 up there. 50 + Clear < 12 + Snow squalls

It will be a great day.
Snowmakers
November 24, 2005
222 posts
Does anyone know if/what snowshoe will open more trails tomorrow?

Question- It says Heilser way is open, bot nothing below it. This leads to a dead end. Any clairification for this? Also, what are the odds skip jack (my favorite blue on the mountain) will be open tomorrow? It says there is ongoing snowmaking on it.

Thanks in advance.
Mack
November 24, 2005
Member since 12/19/2004 🔗
34 posts
I'd say unlikely for Skip Jack. In order to open Skip Jack, they would have to open Whiffletree and Lower Flume as well.

Powder Monkey trail is open, I'd imagine that's what Whistlepunk and Heisler Way are leading onto.

Eww, Sunday and Monday: 50 - 60 degrees.

Snowmakers
November 24, 2005
222 posts
But if whistlepunk is open, wouldnt at leas part of powder ridge have to be open to go under the powder monkey lift?

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?