Challenging terrain within 2.5 hrs of DC?
11 posts
9 users
1k+ views
RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
November 17, 2005
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts
What is the best place to do laps for 3-4 hours and not be bored out of your mind?

Every nearby hill claims to have a "challenging" run... any thoughts on what hill has at least a few to keep an advanced skier/rider entertained?

I'm thinking relatively sane "day trip" here... if I have to drive more than 150 minutes each way then I'd just as soon as make a weekend of it in VT.
BushwackerinPA
November 17, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Blue Knob is alittle far(like maybe 3 hours), but you are talking about terrain that is more challenging than 95 percent of vermont.

www.blueknob.com
gatkinso
November 17, 2005
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
I dunno if I agree with your cut off( 2 1/2 hours v. 7+?) but I would say Blue Knob is your best bet. I day trip from Baltimore - it isn't that far and even with the extra drive it is worth it (v. Lib/WT) cheaper, less lines, better longer runs.

I am going further afield for day trips this year and going to try Elk.
kwillg6
November 17, 2005
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I agree about Blue Knob, also, when the mountain is close to 100% or a fresh pow dump, t-line would be a good bet to satisfy whatever you want...bumps, glades, steeps.
comprex
November 17, 2005
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Quote:

I am going further afield for day trips this year and going to try Elk.

I've been curious about shooting up that way also.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 18, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Rodney, I assume you are a transplant from outside the area. Have you seen this DCSki article? http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=679&mode=faq
It's not totally definitive, but will give you a flavor for some of the more challenging terrain within 2-4 hours of DC. As others have said Blue Knob, PA (~150 miles from DC) provides the most challenge, but you must catch it when natural snow conditions are good (usually late jan to mid Feb) or else the toughest stuff may not be open. Have you been to Whitetail or Liberty? Both might provide 4 hrs of advanced "laps" and both in PA, but about half as far from DC (90mins or less) as BK. Whitetail has a high speed quad and another chair dedicated to a trio of challenging runs. It can be a real nice place to run some laps on a weekday down advanced, if not super-expert terrain (past Whitetail trip report: http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=441&mode=headlines ). Liberty also has some steep pitches on several runs, particularly down backside of mtn.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 18, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Actually some of the most challenging terrain within a few hours of Washington can be found at the Highlands area in the Wintergreen Resort near Charlottesville. The Highlands has a new 6 pack chair and a new advanced trail.
The Colonel
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 18, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Yeah, Blue Knob, as others have said. Extrovert is the best bump run south of Hunter. IMHO it is better than anything at Killington. Several other runs there that require good natural snow cover are also more challenging than anything else in this area.

Actually the top 50 vertical feet of Roundtop's steepest run are even tougher than Extrovert, but after that it mellows out quickly. I think the run is called Gunbarrel. My solution to the lack of challenge in the mid Atlantic is to get on light tele gear, take to the backcountry and see if I can dance.
BushwackerinPA
November 19, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Extrovert and Outer Limits have the same exact pitch of 28.5 degrees according to powdr on Epicski.com. with that Killington is not even close to be the most challenging resort there, it just the biggest.
gatkinso
November 19, 2005
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
Well I guess that could be argued about New England resorts, but Killington definately has it over our resorts in all ways (bigger, more snow, longer season way more terrain of all levels). Some double blacks there (Julio) are as nasty as it gets anywhere.

Personally, I want to check out Wildcat.
wgo
November 21, 2005
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
I agree that wintergreen is a nice resort and in fact that is where I buy my season pass. It's a great place to have less than an hour from Charlottesville. But I don't think it can really be claimed that any of its terrain is that challenging. Challenge = steeps or bumps or trees, none of which is in abundance on the wintergreen trails. Lower Cliffhanger is somewhat steep, and I have high hopes for the new Outer Limits trail. There is also a small unofficial "glade" that people have been known to poke around it.

Having said that, I do think the terrain is decent enough for someone looking to do laps for a half day. I personally can't wait to start getting my reps in!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?