Utah in Feb?
6 posts
5 users
1k+ views
snow1214
October 11, 2003
Member since 09/28/2003 🔗
16 posts
I am currently planning a trip to Utah in Feb. I have skied there beore but only with the family which equals slope side loging. This time it's just me and my friend. I am wondering if anyone knows some cheap loding in the area and if we stay in SLC what's the transportation like to the resorts form there? Plan on 4 nights and want to ski Canyons, Alta, Snowbird.
Otto
October 11, 2003
Member since 11/19/1999 🔗
176 posts
SLC is great for this. There is actually a city bus with ski racks that runs up into the canyons and I know you can bus to Alta, Snowbird and Brighton. I don't know the route exactly, but yiou can fid it..

You can find cheap places in SLC proper or in the burbs near the canyons. I have always stayed in Sandy or Draper when skiing in SLC and used the bus or a car to get up into the canyons.

You can find out a lot on the net about how to do this. SLC is very serious about promoting ski related tourism...

[This message has been edited by Otto (edited 10-11-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Otto (edited 10-11-2003).]

JohnL
October 12, 2003
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Agree with what Otto said. If you want to go rock-bottom in terms of cost, you can stay at a Motel 6 in SLC or in Ogden (just north of SLC). Or do a day at each as I've done. Ogden is convenient to Snowbasin (~30 minutes), and SLC is convenient to Atla, Snowbird and the Canyons. The Alta/Snowbird buses don't run on Sundays - Mormons, so I'd still recommend renting a car.

As you probably know, Alta/Snowbird & the Canyons are in different canyons, so staying near SLC is a good compromise (and the cheapest.)

warren
October 13, 2003
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Another good place to stay which is close to both Big and Little Cottonwood Canyon is Midvale. We stayed right on Ft Union Blvd.
Chad
October 14, 2003
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
"The Alta/Snowbird buses don't run on Sundays - Mormons, so I'd still recommend renting a car."

this isnt the first time i have seen someone mention this. and its not true. the sunday schedule is different, but the buses still run to the ski areas.

http://www.utabus.com/UTAInfo/generalInformation/

-chad

JohnL
October 14, 2003
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
All I can say is that in February of 2001 I waited for a long while (early/mid-morning) at one of the major parking lots @ which I've taken the shuttle on previous trips. After the delay I searched around for any schedule information which was posted at the stop - I found information listing the Mon-Fri & Sat schedules, but no info on the Sunday schedule. I tried other lots I was aware of, and they were pretty much empty. Looked like they were used by carpoolers only. (I was in a el cheapo rental and wasn't certain about being able to navigate the Canyon.) Wasted a lot of time that morning...

My personal recommendation, if you're relying on Sunday buses, plan ahead because the bus service is a lot different and a lot less convenient on Sundays.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.