LM Status Announcement
48 posts
14 users
13k+ views
hockeydave
November 3, 2005
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
It is my understanding (from 2 sources) that an announcement will be made regarding the status of LM for the '05-'06 ski season. It will occur by Monday (11/7/2005), but most likely will happen this weekend. I was told that chances are almost nill that LM will open this season.

Did someone mention co-op ?
wolverine
November 3, 2005
Member since 08/26/2005 🔗
113 posts
Any word from your sources about a 7S announcement about new ownership? Seems like the whole Laurel Highlands is up in the air....
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
November 3, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
I posted some info from MRG about COOPs here:

http://www.dcski.com/ubbthreads22/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=19400&an=0&page=0#19400

Seems like that could be the best long-term answer for LM...
hockeydave
November 3, 2005
780 posts
I actually heard from another person who has a long association @ 7S (not one of my 2 sources) that my claim that 7S would be sold won't happen by ski season, and for that matter, may never happen. It seems that one member of the family will not agree to the sale, and that reason, as it was several years ago, will prevent 7S from being sold. So I will apologize in advance for having placed misinformation in this forum if in fact 7S is not sold (or at least the announcement of a sale) by the start of the ski seaon '05-'06.

Also, if an announcement is not made w.r.t. LM on or before Monday, my days of listening to people who claim to have some inside info are done and this misinformation will not be placed in this forum for public consumption & speculation.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
November 4, 2005
1,986 posts
Dave:

Tis the nature of RUMINT. But sometimes there's a morsel of truth in them. I always enjoy your posts whether the rumors "spring" true or not.
hockeydave
November 4, 2005
780 posts
Thanks John, and likewise, I enjoy your posts too.

However, if Monday rolls around and no announcement is made w.r.t. LM, my days in Rumour Central are officially over.

Hopefully all of this ownership mess (HV, LM) in the Laurel Highlands can get straightened out soon. I'd rather talk about a great day of skiing and not have to worry about whether or not these ski areas will be open. BTW, HV is definitely opening this year, only the opening of LM is in serious question. Actually, if some of the posts are true w.r.t. HV and problems occur with the sale, a co-op with the HV homeowners might be a distinct possibility.
Heather
November 8, 2005
Member since 02/24/2005 🔗
170 posts
Of course I have to give you my 2 Cents wrt. LM...... Meeting with Somerset Trust, 7S and "new owner" will be meeting today expect a press release by tomorrow! Announcement will involve all three local resorts!
wolverine
November 8, 2005
113 posts
Made plans for Wisp and 7S for x-mas/ Spring Break.
Like other folks, plans are made.
Not a good move to wait for HV (7S and Wisp completely booked during this period)announcement.
We'll hold Heather to her tomorrow "announcement" and then if none..................
Heather
November 8, 2005
170 posts
Wolverine... I am not sure what "and i then if none...." means, but this "announcement" has been given to me by a very reliable source. Sorry if that chaps you in some way. I am with the understanding that all three ski areas will be affected by this. Is that gonna be okay with you?
jimmy
November 8, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Heather, LMV, hockeydave and the rest of you LM "insiders", just wanted to let you know a lot of us are with you in hoping good news comes tomorrow; Laurel Mountain opening again this season is something i'm looking forward to!

jimmy
wolverine
November 8, 2005
113 posts
In case you haven't been reading the 7S/LM/HV threads, the upcoming rumored announcements have been batting close to .000

I'd be happy to point all of these out to you folks that keep us waiting with these "insider" tips.

I appreciate mostly the new photos members post and personal tips rather then these seemingly worthless "upcoming announcements" that don't happen!
hockeydave
November 8, 2005
780 posts
@ Laurel Mountain, "Hope 7springs eternal"
tromano
November 8, 2005
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Lots of rumors flying arround.

Madeline and I drove up to LM on Sunday and the gates were open. When we drove up we ended up taking to a few people who said the palce was acutally not open and they were "just on their way out". Apparently they were ski patrol going over some stuff in "preparation" for whatever. Anyway, the guy we talked to (wearing a FEMA hat of all things) for like 10 minutes said that Laurel probably wasn't goign to open until next season and that the reason 7S wasn't operating laurel this year was because they were being sold too.

Now nows that for 3rd hand rumor and hearsay? Discuss.
hockeydave
November 8, 2005
780 posts
Hey Wolverine, just between you and me, I bet that "guy" in the FEMA hat saying 7S was sold was really Heather disguised with glasses and a Groucho Marx mustache
jb714
November 9, 2005
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
Unfortunately it is now official (from Tribune-Democrat):

Quote:

Published: November 09, 2005 12:53 am

No skiing this year at Laurel Mountain, state says

By KIRK SWAUGER
swauger@tribdem.com
Somerset -
Once again, the slopes at Laurel Mountain will be closed this winter, the state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources confirmed Tuesday.

But unlike in the past, when the resort was mired in uncertainty and financial instability, hope may be on the horizon.

Seven Springs, which operated the resort between Jennerstown and Ligonier on a one-year trial last winter, is negotiating to reopen Laurel Mountain in 2006, officials said.

"At this point, we're not going to be able to provide downhill skiing at Laurel Mountain as a recreational opportunity this year," DCNR spokeswoman Christine Novak said.

"But we are continuing to talk with representatives of Seven Springs and Somerset Trust Co. for coming years. We're optimistic that, perhaps in the future, skiing will be available again."

With less than six weeks until ski season, months of complicated negotiations by Seven Springs, Somerset Trust and the state could not be finalized.

But a foundation has been laid for Laurel Mountain to resume operations next year, bank vice president Jeff Cook said.

"More than anything, I'm sorry for the skiers," Cook said. "We believe Laurel Mountain should and someday again will be a really positive asset for this area.

"It requires the right framework. What nobody wants to see is it be done half-hearted, halfway. It has to be done right."

Last year, Seven Springs, the largest resort in Pennsylvania, came to Laurel Mountain's rescue in mid-October when the one-year deal was announced.

But despite dramatic improvements made in a short time, even Seven Springs couldn't overcome a tepid winter that forced Laurel Mountain to close briefly at what should have been the height of ski season.

"We have a great deal of respect for the management of Seven Springs," Cook said. "They worked hard to find a way and really told us what their needs were.

Somerset Trust acquired Laurel Mountain Ski Resort last year through foreclosure on a $1 million loan taken out by former owner George Mowl and his partnership. The bank action came months after DCNR, which owns the resort's land, terminated its lease with Mowl, a Pittsburgh businessman.

Mowl had operated Laurel Mountain since 1998. He had suffered through years of lukewarm winters, declining attendance and mounting debt. Laurel Mountain never opened for skiers in 2003-04.

Calling it The Springs at Laurel Mountain, Seven Springs offered skiing, snowboarding and other amenities and special passes that could be used at either resort.

Scott Bender, Seven Springs' chief operating officer, could not immediately be reached for comment Tuesday.

"I think there's a lot of disappointment," Somerset County Commissioner Pamela Tokar-Ickes said. "There was a lot of hope that it could be revitalized. Obviously, it's got a great deal of potential."

hockeydave
November 9, 2005
780 posts
Sadly, this was, for the most part expected. However, the article states:

Quote:

But unlike in the past, when the resort was mired in uncertainty and financial instability, hope may be on the horizon.

KS does not provide any additional info why there may be hope on the horizon. Any speculation/rumours why there may be hope ?
Heather
November 9, 2005
170 posts
Well I am not sure if this announcement is gloat worthy or not... LM not opening is not a suprise, but what I find most interesting is that the 2 other resorts have not been mentioned. Does anyone suppose that word will be coming from the ski gods wrt.HV and 7S anytime soon?
wolverine
November 9, 2005
113 posts
HEATHER YESTERDAY:

"Of course I have to give you my 2 Cents wrt. LM...... Meeting with Somerset Trust, 7S and "new owner" will be meeting today expect a press release by tomorrow! Announcement will involve all three local resorts!

--------------------
LAUREL MOUNTAIN...THE ONLY MOUNTAIN WITH A SOUL!"

NOW YOU ARE ASKING ANYONE OUT THERE IF ANYONE HAS HEARD OF A POSSIBLE UPCOMING ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT HV/ 7S????

GIVE ME A BREAK ......
LMV
November 9, 2005
Member since 06/1/2005 🔗
60 posts
We haven't heard anything yet because there are strict confidentiality laws regarding acquisitions by publicly held companies. I can't wait until this is all over. They only way you will see any more high speed lifts will be if they have a slot machine attached to them.
hockeydave
November 9, 2005
780 posts
Wolverine, Heather is no longer batting .000. She was right on the mark with the Tuesday meeting and subsequent announcement. I predicted Monday, but the announcement DID happen (of course not too my liking).

So what if all 3 Western PA slopes were not involved in the announcement (2 of the 3 were)... I think you're nitpicking... and just wait, there probably is more to come.
Heather
November 9, 2005
170 posts
Man, you are killing me! The information I received was exactly what I passed onto everyone on this board. Unfortunately for me (apparently), the info wrt the other resorts was incorrect. For anybody out there who's lives have adversely affected by my passing along misinformation, contact me through PM for my most heart felt apologies.
wolverine
November 9, 2005
113 posts
HOCKEYDAVE,

I'M NOT SURE WHAT YOU ARE READING, BUT SHE CLAIMED TODAY THERE WOULD BE AN ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT A NEW OWNER AND NEWS ABOUT ALL THREE LOCAL RESORTS.

PREDICTING LM WOULD NOT OPEN THIS YEAR COULD HAVE BEEN DONE BY MY 5 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER!

HEATHER YESTERDAY:

"Of course I have to give you my 2 Cents wrt. LM...... Meeting with Somerset Trust, 7S and "new owner" will be meeting today expect a press release by tomorrow! Announcement will involve all three local resorts!
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
November 9, 2005
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
Hey Wolf - In reference to comments concerning Heather, the word "jerk" comes to mind. She hit the nail on the head. You remind me of another negative poster we had on this site. If you don't have something positive to say, find another site.
Heather
November 9, 2005
170 posts
Thank You!
tommo
November 9, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
If we all click on name of the PERSON WHO KEEPS SHOUTING critical and offensive comments, you can select "Ignore this poster." While their name still appears in the thread train, it comes pretty close to voting them off the slope.

I have done so, and my DC Ski experience is clearly better now
wolverine
November 9, 2005
113 posts
sorry about the shouting, but why all the negativism about THE TRUTH POLICE
Heather
November 9, 2005
170 posts
So have I!!!
jb714
November 9, 2005
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
If a Wolverine is shouting in the glades, but everyone has clicked "Ignore this Poster", does the Wolverine still make a noise?

I think not.

Excellent idea Tommo.
wolverine
November 9, 2005
113 posts
Heather, the truth hurts, but you'll never know.........
Oh while you guys are at it why don't you vote for LM to re-open this year!
LMV
November 9, 2005
Member since 06/1/2005 🔗
60 posts
Did you hear something? I thought I did... well maybe not.

I love this ignore thing!
tromano
November 9, 2005
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Wolverine, if you don't have anything good to say people won't listen to you. Sking is about having fun, not doom and gloom. I don't come to these forums to see people getting put down.

Heather, any plans of hiking for turns at LM this season? --Tim
Heather
November 9, 2005
170 posts
Hiking for turns sounds great! The hubby has already planned to make his own personal ski "area" in woods near our home. Has it all mapped out! We can hit both in same day! Anyone care to join me?
BushwackerinPA
November 9, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
I d say get some skins, and use dreamhighway to get up;). It is so sad to see laurel go down again, hopefully next year is better for you guys and girls.
jb714
November 9, 2005
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
Quote:

The hubby has already planned to make his own personal ski "area" in woods near our home.

I have an area in the woods on the property at the cottage - according to my GPS it has almost 100' of vertical, and enough pitch to make a fairly respectable Blue. I'd have to thin the trees just a wee bit....but I think you can tell where I'm going with this. Sometimes when I stand back there alone just when it's getting dark I can hear the voices of skiers past telling me to build it.....but maybe that's just the Bass Ale.

My wife is convinced that I'm over the edge.
Heather
November 9, 2005
170 posts
Jeff...If you build, it they will come!
shearer519
November 10, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
149 posts
Here is another article on Laurel Mountain. This one specifically mentions Seven Springs committing to add infrastructure to the mountain in the future.

Quote:

Laurel Mountain Ski Area won't open

Thursday, November 10, 2005
By Lawrence Walsh, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

In skiing as in baseball, sometimes the cry is "Wait till next year."

And so it is that parties involved in the future of Laurel Mountain announced yesterday that it won't be open for skiing, snowboarding or snowtubing this winter. They hope it will reopen for the 2006-07 season.

The state-owned ski area in Westmoreland County was operated last winter by Seven Springs under an agreement with the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, which owns the property, and Somerset Trust, which took over the lease from a former concessionaire that owes money to the bank.

The name was changed to The Springs at Laurel Mountain and hopes were high that Seven Springs would succeed where others had failed. But the same lack of natural snow, inconsistent freezing temperatures and water needed for snowmaking that bedeviled prior operators also hindered Seven Springs' efforts. The area lost money.

Representatives of Seven Springs, the bank and DCNR started talking in June about the 2005-06 season. They're still talking but agreed this month it was too late to try to operate the area this winter.

"We have worked very hard with the management of Seven Springs and we believe there is a framework for the future," said Jeff Cook, executive vice president and secretary of Somerset Trust. "We are very optimistic about the 2006-2007 season."

The ski area has 18 slopes and trails served by one quad chairlift, one double chairlift and three handle tows. It is 10 miles east of Ligonier via U.S. Route 30.

DCNR Secretary Michael DiBerardinis said Mr. Cook and Seven Springs President Scott Bender have agreed to support efforts to improve the ski trails, snowmaking, ski lifts and infrastructure.

"We remain firmly committed to growing winter sports in Western Pennsylvania and we know Laurel Mountain holds a special place in the hearts of many skiers and snowboarders in that region," Mr. Bender said.

Paid advertising

hockeydave
November 10, 2005
780 posts
All of this article sounds very positive, but the last statement by Mr. Bender is not exactly a ringing endorsement of Laurel Mountain.
Quote:

"We remain firmly committed to growing winter sports in Western Pennsylvania and we know Laurel Mountain holds a special place in the hearts of many skiers and snowboarders in that region," Mr. Bender said.

There is no mention of any upgrade to LM in particular... "growing winter sports in Western Pennsylvania" could mean buying HV, or adding new trails to 7S, which 7S is currently doing.

Frankly, I don't blame him. 7S lost money there. They did a great job operating LM, but what incentive do they have to grow and upgrade LM? Answer: Absolutely None. The state and ST need to give 7S (or for that matter anyone) a reason to operate and grow LM (e.g. allow some lodging, for one). Think about it, if you're renting a house, what incentive do you have to add on a new sun room at no cost to the owner. None. The whole arrangement @ LM between the state, ST, & 7S as it currently stands (or at least as I think I know it) does not make any sense and until that changes, LM will probably sit idle. I'll believe the Mr Bender, Mr Cook & the state when I see new HKDs being installed on Dream Highway. I feel better now... just frustrated that LM is sitting idle again yet another Winter.

Anybody have suggestions for a new arrangement between all aforementioned parties... I know 1 person who is in 7S mgmt I could pass it on to.
hockeydave
November 10, 2005
780 posts
The follwing is an article from today's Somerset, PA Daily American newspaper. Sounds a bit more encouraging that the Post Gazette article. I still believe it is up to the state (DCNR) and ST to be creative in its relationship with 7S so that LM can be a success, both with the skiers and as a viable/profitable business.

By MICHELLE GANASSI
Daily American Staff Writer
Wednesday, November 9, 2005 11:10 PM CST

Seven Springs Mountain Resort officials announced Wednesday they will not be operating Laurel Mountain Ski Resort, however they plan on helping with site improvements.

"We're taking a more long-term approach to the area for its continued and future success," said Scott Bender, Seven Springs president.

Last ski season, Seven Springs operated the facility. Laurel Mountain is currently owned by Somerset Trust Co., who assumed control in September 2003.

"While we regret the area will not be open this season, we do believe the collaborative approach with Seven Springs will help ensure the long-term success and stability of the ski area," said Somerset Trust Co. Vice President Jeff Cook in a recent press release. "The ski operation is a valuable asset to the economy of the region."

Bender explained last year they evaluated the area and came up with some improvement ideas. Some areas that may be improved include the facility, ski trails, snowmaking, ski lifts and infrastructure.

"We identified it very broadly and need to work with the bank and DCNR," he said. "From our one year of operation, we came back with some ideas that could lead to its long term and future success."

Bender said the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Somerset Trust Co. and Seven Springs will take time this winter to work on an improvement strategy.

"We're going to spend whatever time all of have available over the winter to begin developing the plan," he said.

The park is located between Jennerstown, Somerset County and Laughlintown, Westmoreland County off state Route 30. The ski area covers 64 acres. It started as a private establishment in 1939. After World War II, Gen. Richard K. Mellon donated the land to the state and the park was open to the public.

Bender said the resort has an appeal that draws people to the area.

"Like Seven Springs, Laurel Mountain has a unique charm and setting that draws people back," he added. "The Laurel Highlands region has become widely recognize as a popular year-round vacation spot because of the variety and quality of facilities and activities."
Heather
November 10, 2005
170 posts
Just a note on the author of the Post Gaz story.. He owns a home in LM village. Not sure if that is why he is optimistic or not. Just thought I would pass that on.
November 10, 2005
1,986 posts
Dave:

A couple of thoughts based on your comments. I think LM could become 7 Springs' Pico given some development and infrastructure improvement. In the Killington analogy, Pico is two things: a family mountain and an insider's place. When you ask Rutland area locals about Pico, they don't talk much because it's there little secret and they don't want to attract more people to the mountain. However, Pico survives because it contains enough lodging to sustain it. Therein lies the answer. The state must give & Springs land to develop in the State Park in exchange for a committment to run LM long-term. Improved lodging at the resort would justify the lift and snowmaking upgrades LM needs to attract a bigger following and become more viable long-term. General Mellon would probably trun over in his grave at the thought of his land being desecrated by condos but condos and perhaps a hotel is what the mountain needs to become sustainable. A MRG style coop probably will not work in the Mid-Atlantic because of the industrial snowmaking that needs to be accomplished to have viable skiing. Even Timberline makes snow constantly from Dec-Feb (and even into March occasionally). All that costs a lot of money and only a big company like 7 Springs can probably finance all the improvements needed to make LM work.
jb714
November 10, 2005
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
Quote:

Anybody have suggestions for a new arrangement between all aforementioned parties... I know 1 person who is in 7S mgmt I could pass it on to.

Dave: In reply to your question, and to expand a wee bit on Johnfmh's excellent post re: LM as 7 Spring' Pico. Perhaps there might be some State Park/Forest land adjacent to 7 Springs that they covet - I recall in past discussions re: the 'Western Territury' that a small triangle of State Park/Forest was smack in the middle of some potential terrain; or perhaps there might be terrain in Forbes State Forest (N of 7 Springs, S of HV)that 7 Springs could gain development rights to in exchange for operating LM. This would have to be in addition to the construction of some sort of lodging at/near LM itself.

It seems that 7 Springs (assuming they're truly interested in LM and not just blowin' smoke) is in a position to cause DCNR to think outside the box a little - numerous New England or Western resorts are on State or Federal land - I just don't get PA's seemingly uncompromising view of the 'sanctity' of State lands.

Just my two pence worth.
hockeydave
November 10, 2005
780 posts
Quote:

It seems that 7 Springs (assuming they're truly interested in LM and not just blowin' smoke) is in a position to cause DCNR to think outside the box a little - numerous New England or Western resorts are on State or Federal land - I just don't get PA's seemingly uncompromising view of the 'sanctity' of State lands.

JB, you said a mouthful. Is 7S truly interested in helping develop LM ? Who knows... we'll see what happens to their "interest" when the gaming licenses are awarded. I really hope they're sincere.

As far as the DCNR and the state of PA are concerned, don't get me started again....

Thanks to your's and John's input... great posts.
Ullr
November 16, 2005
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
According to this atricle dated 11-14-2005 7 Springs is going to run LM again:

http://news.alpinezone.com/6368/

Is this correct?

LMV
November 16, 2005
Member since 06/1/2005 🔗
60 posts
No LM is not opening this year.

For some reason this article has been popping up everywhere. It is the press release from last year.

There is still more news coming about what's going to happen next year. I was told it would be in the next month -- or two, so we will probably hear something around march or april.
hockeydave
November 20, 2005
780 posts
The Springs at Laurel Mountain website was updated with the message below:

The Springs at Laurel Mountain LLC would like to thank all of the skiers, visitors, volunteers and suppliers that supported our ski operation at Laurel Mountain last winter. Your enthusiasm, patronage, and commitment was greatly appreciated and we remain hopeful that a long-term viability of the ski area will be achieved through the collaborative efforts of DCNR, Somerset Trust, and Seven Springs. Thanks again!

It will be quite interesting to see what input the DCNR has in this "collaborative" effort. Frankly, one of the main reasons LM sits dormant yet again is because of them. Could there be a change of philosophy (i.e. permit some sort of modest lodging on site)? I'll believe it when I see it.
rjsherrin
November 21, 2005
Member since 09/28/2005 🔗
145 posts
I own lots in different parts of Laurel Mountain Village. The biggest problem I have is with Jenner Twp. and DEP. Some of the lots can be connected to water and sewer but Jenner won't give building permits for them. They want to be able to raise prices to add on lines. There are places to build a hotel but if they won't permit it or ever allow a connection for water and sewer, how will Laurel ever grow. Jenner Twp. has a 537 plan that they won't change and the DEP doesn't want to get involved. The DEP and their little plans make 90% of the Village undevelopable.
hockeydave
November 24, 2005
780 posts
Nothing new here, just more of the same info wrt LM

Laurel Mountain ski resort to remain closed

By Bob Stiles
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, November 24, 2005

Ormond "Butch" Bellas hopes the Laurel Mountain Ski Resort opens next winter, with or without a new operator.
Bellas, Ligonier mayor, said his citizens suffer when the ski area, located about 10 miles southeast of the borough, is closed.

"We need the jobs and the tourism," Bellas said.

Somerset Trust Co. and Seven Springs Farm Inc. could not reach an agreement in time to open the ski resort this winter, according to representatives for the companies.

The bank took over control of the slopes after foreclosing on the operations in 2004 and has had the skiing enterprise up for sale since. Seven Springs ran the ski area, known as The Springs at Laurel Mountain, for the bank during the 2004-05 ski season.

Officials of the bank, Seven Springs and the state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, which owns the land where the ski area is located, described this winter's closing as a temporary move that will allow for more development.

"The temporary closing of Laurel Mountain Ski Resort will enable the development of future plans to make the ski resort more attractive and profitable for long-term operation," said Michael DiBerardinis, DCNR secretary.

Among the goals are improved ski trails, snow-making equipment and ski lifts.

Who will pay for the improvements remains to be worked out, according to representatives of the groups.

Jeff Cook, Somerset Trust executive vice president, said Laurel Mountain "has a world of potential," especially with the improvements.

"I'm real hopeful," he said. "I think the attitude has been real good. DCNR ... sees the potential. And they want it to be done right."

The bank's ultimate goal is to sell the ski operation, said Cook, who declined to discuss prospective buyers.

"We're hoping that an approved operator will step forward," he said.

Warm weather, lackluster snowfalls and limited snow-making capabilities hurt efforts to make the ski area more of a success after George Mowl and Laurel Mountain Ski Co. reopened the facility in 1999. It went under less than five years later. Before the reopening, the ski area had been closed for about a decade.

"We are communicating with DCNR and Somerset Trust to make the ski area a better place, whether it be Seven Springs or someone else who purchases the facility," said Bob Duppstadt, Seven Springs public relations director.

About 65 people worked at Laurel Mountain last winter, according to Seven Springs.

The ski area covers 64 acres and offers 18 slopes and trails. Laurel Mountain State Park, in which the ski area is situated, encompasses 493 acres.

Chris Novak, DCNR press secretary, said her agency remains hopeful that skiing will resume at Laurel Mountain next winter.

"We have been talking with them, and we're optimistic that next year, after some regrouping, it can open again," she said.

Bellas shares the same hope.

"We're just hoping and praying it happens next year," he said.

One point of note from the above article (See Mr Duppstadt quote). Why would 7S suggest improvements or help pay for them if someone else is to operate or buy LM?
hockeydave
December 7, 2005
780 posts
It's quite possible that this early taste of Winter may be a tease, especially if predictions of a heavy snow come through in the Laurel Highlands ThursNite & FriMorn. But it may not be a coincidence that every year that Laurel Mountain Ski Resort doesn't open (03-04, 05-06), the snow comes in bunches... I mentioned this in a previous post, but now I am more convinced than ever... LM is cursed!!!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?