HELP/boots/geargeekneeded
14 posts
3 users
3k+ views
jimmy
November 2, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
To make a short story long.....never mind. I've got a pair of Atomic b9 boots at home on a test drive. Old shoes are technica tcr, 140 days prolly ten yrs old, no orange inserts, been really really good to me . A pair of last years sal xwave 10, sweet price but tried them on just a little too big to fit. Atomic rep puts me in this b9, never asked how i ski, but he did fit me up pretty nice.

I'm not a bump skier but i ski some, i'm not a racer. I do ski crud, lift lines, nastar, OTW... probably 30/70 ungroomed/groomed. Only review i find on b9 says it doesn't like to be ?"pushed?" ithink was the word.

Is this a better boot than i'm in now

is it enuf boot to improve in

Help <tear>

jimmy
comprex
November 2, 2005
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
From a materials technology standpoint, yes the B9 is a better boot, without a shadow of a doubt.

Fit- don't know. Tell us.

Credit to the A-rep, sounds like he made a decision based on the boot you showed up with (high middle of the line). You still have the option of getting a B10 or B11?

I've tried the B-series and I liked it better than the Tecnica Rivals.

A very good friend of mine made the switch from an older Tecnica shell (TNT) to the B9 when it first appeared. No regrets at all, even though he's had to completely change his stance. He is now better in moguls and better in powder than ever before.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
jimmy
November 3, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
comprex, Fit is good. I'm sure i can trade up, skinorth has atomic & solly for sure. b11, i'll check it out, what about the waves?

Changing the stance, what's up w/that?

jimmy
comprex
November 3, 2005
1,326 posts
I find the XWave fit quite a bit different (more confining across the instep, wider in the heel) so that it isn't even comparable (for me!)

The Nordica Beasts were nice but had the same wide heel, the Dalbello Kryptons were OK but only with the ultra-stiff tongue, the Lange FRs were very nice but needed a lot of punchout work at the toes to fit, the Dolomite Rage shell fit great but the liner wasn't exactly right at the heel.

Right now it's between the three (Atomic, Dolomite with liner work, Lange), decision to be made, oh sometime I guess. I'm weaker willed than you.

Changing the stance: the old Tecnicas had a LOT of forward lean and he was just used to skiing with his weight hanging off the front of the boot all the time. Quite a bit of bend at the waist. Couldn't convince him at first that all that was completely unnecessary.

Then about a week later he met Crush. . .
jimmy
November 3, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

The Wasatch Weatherman, he's gotta be giving us an update soon, i think he's holding out.....sounds like the stance change needed to happen whether he met Crush or not?
comprex
November 3, 2005
1,326 posts
Yes, it did. He'd never gotten lessons on modern gear, see.

That last day at the Canyons was the catalyst for lessons for himself and wife and kid, though.

There's something about the ski professional uniform that makes folks think they could never be that good, so they tune that level of skiing out as a goal, I guess.
Crush
November 3, 2005
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,281 posts
P -
Quote:

.. eh mate?! Moi? Howz Super-G? Well I dunno ... I do wat I do .. even if it is @ 100 mph
comprex
November 4, 2005
1,326 posts
Yes, he met you just as he reckoned on a quiet last day, alas poor Mikey. -snicker- Ironic, huh, that you of all people made a lesson fiend of him.

Both he and SuperG are off to other fun, but I'll C ya in March sometime, ey? I owe you a drink or two, I reckon, but you feel free to polish up that still . . .
jimmy
November 4, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Yo Crush, sounds like ur march is filling up pretty well!! any good weather coming your way?

Quote:

Yes, it did. He'd never gotten lessons on modern gear, see.

That last day at the Canyons was the catalyst for lessons for himself and wife and kid, though.

There's something about the ski professional uniform that makes folks think they could never be that good, so they tune that level of skiing out as a goal, I guess.

Comprex thanks for the help w/boots. Having Crush tour you around on his hill......shows you what levels are available. Take the lesson b/4 you go cause when you get back......the old home hill ain't the challenge she used to be.

jimmy
jimmy
December 21, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
So i ended up with the b9. Left SkiNorth in Robinson with them, superfeet (cheap) footbed, thermofit and a very nice edge & wax on V3 Carvers.

Day 1, 2- 7 Springs first turns of the year man my feet were moving around like crazy, tips chattering, short turns were an adventure, needed to find the sweet spot in the boot but once i found it and stayed balanced, i had a pretty good time with them but they needed work. Salvaged heel wedges from old boots.

Day 3, 4, 5, 6- Timberline and wisp. Ankle locked in pretty good now but it still feels like my foot is pivoting on my heel, fells much better though. Back to SkiNorth for some help. Boot is not too long, just too much volume. We put some ??? insole shims???, very thin insole shaped material under the factory insole, put the liners back in and wow, nice snug fit.

Day 7- 7 Springs, i've got some small hot spots to take care of but what an improvement over my old shoes. Not quite as comfortable yet but the "feel" is so much better, no stomp & wait, give these some pressure and the edge just hooks up.

Buying boots is easy, i think the thing that takes time is getting them to fit. B9 may not be for everyone's foot but i think its a quality boot; only con i've found is the power strap moves around too much for me.
comprex
December 22, 2005
1,326 posts
jimmy, check it:

http://www.zipfitna.com/pullover.html

And, allow me to say that having lace up liners just ROCKS!

(I should add that I understand your fitting comment but would far prefer most of the fitting work to occur on the day I scraped the credit card, not after).
comprex
December 22, 2005
1,326 posts
Quote:

only con i've found is the power strap moves around too much for me.

Do you strap it inside or outside the shell?
jimmy
December 22, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

(I should add that I understand your fitting comment but would far prefer most of the fitting work to occur on the day I scraped the credit card, not after).

Agree with that. Seems that they felt ok in the living room but in the heat of battle the flaws came out. Power strap outside shell, am i a gaper?? Wonder what % of us really have boots that fit?

Tell us more about zipfit?
comprex
December 23, 2005
1,326 posts

Can't tell you much more about those yet: my lace up liners were done the hard way.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?