New ECHO MOUNTAIN (formerly Squaw Pass ski area)
5 posts
5 users
SeaRide
November 1, 2005
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts

-excerpt from Boulder Daily Camera, 10.29.05

ECHO MOUNTAIN
There is a new Colorado ski area on tap for this season, but forget the $9 hamburgers or valet parking, Echo Mountain Snowboard and Ski Park will be the state's first terrain-park-only ski resort. The new area will have 30 acres of nothing but park, one triple chair and loud music blaring from serious speakers. Built on the site of the former Squaw Pass ski area, the area will blend corrugated metal into their structures instead of logs and is slated to open mid-December.
tommo
November 1, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
While I can fully understand the thrill of terrain parks, I can't imagine anything more obnoxious than "loud music blaring from serious speakers." While this venture will likely be sucessful, I sure hope the blaring speakers trend doesn't take hold anywhere else. Ugh.
therusty
November 2, 2005
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Too late! Whitetail added music to their park last year. Before parks, some reosrts used to pipe in music on their mogul runs.
kennedy
November 2, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
To be honest at Whitetail I could only hear the music while waiting to drop into the park once I got going either the wind was too loud in my ears or I'm too focused on what I'm doing to hear it.
JohnL
November 2, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
I recall hearing the Whitetail terrain park music on other trails last year. Can't remember exactly which trails they were, but they weren't right next to the park. How the noise carries probably depends a lot on the local weather conditions.

But you're generally not going to Whitetail for isolation...

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.