(not so) Happy Halloween
17 posts
9 users
5k+ views
hockeydave
October 31, 2005
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
The much anticipated treat (announcement that LM would reopen this year) has turned into a cruel trick because I don't think it's gonna happen this year.

P.S. Wolverine, I saved you the time of posting a response by pasting the smiles below for you, now that it looks like half of your wish is coming true...

wolverine
October 31, 2005
Member since 08/26/2005 🔗
113 posts
Predicting does not equal wanting.
I predict the Wolverines will lose the big ten title to Penn State. I want Michigan do grab the big ten title, and although still possible, not likely.

You guys also think I'm a loyal 7S supporter (currently #1 for me), but that may change if another resort (ie. Wisp, Massanutten) makes it worth my while to spend weekends with my family at a better Mid-Atlantic "destination resort".....
JCHobbes
October 31, 2005
Member since 09/12/2005 🔗
94 posts
Someone, somewhere in another post mentioned that in the past DCNR or someone had cut steps into Wildcat to allow people to ski without the lifts running.

Just a rumor or something?
LMV
November 1, 2005
Member since 06/1/2005 🔗
60 posts
No, not the DCNR. I'm not sure if it was entirely legal, but it wasn't the DCNR, and there were stairs from the bottom to the top of lower wildcat. Being that it is in a state park, I don't see how it would be illegal to be there. When they didn't open in 03-04 someone groomed a path down broadway when they took a snow cat down to check the water lines in the warming hut at the bottom of lower.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
jb714
November 1, 2005
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
Quote:

Being that it is in a state park, I don't see how it would be illegal to be there.

I feel confident that if DCNR wants to keep people out, they'll find a way to accomplish that - a gate across the access road with a 'Closed' sign would be enough to justify a ranger issuing summonses. As a PA native (and current PA landowner) I feel strongly that the Commonwealth has been an impediment to getting LM back in operation. I don't see the need for the state to charge a lease fee to operate a ski area there - LM pumps up the economy of the Ligonier area when it operates and that alone should justify some breaks to get the place up and running again.
hockeydave
November 1, 2005
780 posts
I couldn't agree with you more about the state being an impediment (and frankly, the agreement the state signed with the Mellon family when they took over the land prohibiting on site development/lodging). I've echoed that sentiment in other threads.

Based on a couple of various & reliable sources (newspaper source as well as a member of 7S mgmt), it is almost certain LM will not open this year. Given that, I'm not sure why some official announcement is not being made by the DCNR, Somerset Trust or 7S. People are probably making plans to rent homes in the LM Village area, especially around Christmas/New Year's (I'm one of them). So why not inform the public LM won't open this year. It doesn't make sense, unless there is still a slim hope of a last minute deal. 7S still has the LM website up.

On the bright side, however, there is reason to believe that there is a real possibility LM will reopen for the '06-'07 season... stay tuned.
jb714
November 1, 2005
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
Thanks Dave, that's good new for '06-'07, hopefully.

BTW, my thoughts about the state being an impediment are just the tip of the iceberg - I've long felt that the PA gov't has consistently failed to be a forward-thinking body, and not not just regarding LM. There's probably enough material there for a standalone thread with permanent status.
hockeydave
November 1, 2005
780 posts
JB, correct me if I'm wrong, chances are you're living in Woodbridge not by choice, but by necessity (lack of oppurtunity in PA). I had to, not wanted to, move after college in '86 to Baltimore because of the lack of oppurtunites in PA (however, Baltimore's great... I miss that city and always will).

Thank you to all of the wonderful politicos in Harrisburg who continue to keep PA in the Dark Ages. You guys & gals really deserve that huge pay raise you voted for yourself.

Too bad there's not an instant graemlin with a middle finger salute...
jb714
November 1, 2005
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
Quote:

chances are you're living in Woodbridge not by choice, but by necessity

That's a pretty accurate statement - I've lived here since '85, which was a mighty lean period up there. I entertain fantasies of moving back that way in the next couple of years, if I can dig up an IT company up there willing to have me (thus the property near the Springs with plenty of land to build an addition). I'm still working on convincing the wife of the wisdom of that idea - she's an Alexandria native and she seems to think that Western PA is just about the coldest place this side of Siberia.

BTW, the fact that I moved here due to economic neccessity has nothing to do with my dim view of the PA gov't - I felt that way when I lived there (don't all PA residents feel that way? ) I will say that living in VA has made me even more aware of the shortcomings of Harrisburg, because it's given me a broader frame of reference, so to speak.
RobertW
November 1, 2005
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
199 posts
jb: Not to get off topic but tech/IT hiring is picking up here in Western PA. I don't know what field you work in (Network Admin, Web Dev, .Net Dev.) but I have been seeing a lot of people returning (boomerangs) to the area. Along with the national sites, workpittsburgh.com can give you a feel for what is around. And if your wife works in the medical field, there are endless oportunities here.

I have to laugh when you talk about our "harsh winters". Several people I work with considered last year a harsh winter. For me to even consider a day "winterish", the high temperature can't rise above 35 DegF or so. Using that criteria, we had about 6 weeks of winter weather last year. 6 out of 52 isn't so harsh....of course "harsh winter" does not exist in my vernacular.

And you both are absolutely right about our over-sized, over-priced legislature.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
November 2, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
The situation at LM makes our problems at Timberline seem small indeed.

A couple of thoughts..

1) Have property owners thought of banding together and buying the mountain, perhaps with the help of other small investors? Investors would get lifetime season passes and maybe the hope of some actual return on investment later on down the line.

2) Has anyone floated the idea of running LM as a coop similar to MRG?
jimmy
November 2, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
John, I'd suspect that's where jeff was going with this.
jb714
November 2, 2005
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
Robert:

I've been keeping a close eye on PGHTECH.ORG, but I haven't looked at workpittsburgh.com - thanks for the heads up - I'll check it out, too.

I guess my wife just doesn't truly understand really cold weather, being a native Virginian. She's convinced that the Yeti resides somewhere in Western PA.
Heather
November 2, 2005
Member since 02/24/2005 🔗
170 posts
The YETI does reside in western PA, just ask a Derry Ridger! Derry Ridge has the highest number of BIGFOOT and UFO sightings nationwide almost every year! And people say western PA doesn't have anything to offer! I BEG TO DIFFER!
jb714
November 2, 2005
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
Maybe Bigfoot was hatched from the Kecksburg UFO.....
Heather
November 2, 2005
Member since 02/24/2005 🔗
170 posts
The Acorn UFO....that's a good one!
JCHobbes
November 2, 2005
Member since 09/12/2005 🔗
94 posts
Quote:

Maybe Bigfoot was hatched from the Kecksburg UFO.....

Actually, strangely enough, the year of the Kecksburg crash, there was a major spike in both UFO and Bigfoot sightings. But you know what they say about hysteria breeding hysteria (or something like that)

Anyway, regarding PA State Legislature. A relatively unknown democrat from Monroeville (east suburbs of Pittsburgh) added in an ammendment for the raise to be entirely cancelled before the planned ammendment to push it back could be made. It passed the Senate and moved on to the house, and it was said that they would not be going home until a vote was reached.

Just an interesting tidbit. My mother, a reporter for the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, along with a colleague were actually the ones that broke the original story.

Let's hope the congressman do what's right, and get rid of their pay raise.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?