Buckhorn - AKA Moonshine Mountain
22 posts
8 users
2k+ views
Murphy
October 31, 2005
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
I did a little aerial recon of a potential sight for MSM and I thought I'd share a photo. Image quality isn't that great because the glare inside the airplane was terrible but here it is anyway. Feel free to check out a few more pics in the album from elsewhere around the New River Valley.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/462771540/490966933LkxyiG
tommo
October 31, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
Those are GREAT photos! Looks like you were on a bombing run towards Lane Stadium in a few, though... Did you by any chance get any of SML to the north east? That's another very cool place for aerial shots down in that neck of the woods..
BushwackerinPA
October 31, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Wow that is steep
Roger Z
October 31, 2005
2,181 posts
SML? Smith Mountain Lake? Can't put a ski area over there son.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Murphy
October 31, 2005
618 posts
Quote:

Those are GREAT photos! Looks like you were on a bombing run towards Lane Stadium in a few, though... Did you by any chance get any of SML to the north east? That's another very cool place for aerial shots down in that neck of the woods..

Thanks, it was a lot of fun.

I took over 100 pics but 3/4 were out of focus or the glare from the windows was too strong. It was hell trying to get my little point and shoot digital camera to focus on the intended target and not the glare on the windows. Worse thing was that I really couldn't tell until I downloaded them.

SML was about 50 south east of the airport where I took off but we flew in the opposite direction.
tommo
October 31, 2005
303 posts
Quote:

SML? Smith Mountain Lake? Can't put a ski area over there son.

Well, granted, you could only get 1100' vertical...but you sure could make a LOT of snow

And the terrain would be awesome - black diamonds only....

http://www.smithmountainhomes.com/smith_mountain_lake_lots/photos_smith_mountain_lake.html
Murphy
October 31, 2005
618 posts
Smith Mountain Lake is 5-10 degrees warmer than Blacksburg. They're on the wrong side of the Blue Ridge. But then again, if any community had deep enough pockets to fund the necessary snow making equipment, it would be them.

Do you have a place there?
tommo
October 31, 2005
303 posts
Oh, I'm not serious about a ski area there - agreed, it's much too warm. But the pitch of Smith Mountain near the dam is very, very impressive - it'd be one of the few true cliff areas in the east. And, heck, it's not like the power would be hard to get - the frigging generating capacity of the SML dam could run some serious snow making and cooling equipment.

Yeah, I do have a piece of property there (a nice campsite, really), and I know quite a few other folks that own houses. It's probably one of the nicest (if not THE nicest) lakes in the country, but people don't talk about it too much. Trying to keep that way, I imagine....
Murphy
October 31, 2005
618 posts
Quote:

Oh, I'm not serious about a ski area there - agreed, it's much too warm. But the pitch of Smith Mountain near the dam is very, very impressive - it'd be one of the few true cliff areas in the east. And, heck, it's not like the power would be hard to get - the frigging generating capacity of the SML dam could run some serious snow making and cooling equipment.

Yeah, I do have a piece of property there (a nice campsite, really), and I know quite a few other folks that own houses. It's probably one of the nicest (if not THE nicest) lakes in the country, but people don't talk about it too much. Trying to keep that way, I imagine....

Well SML is in the heart of the Moonshine capital of the world. Maybe it's something we should explore further.

I don't have any property there but my in-laws do and I try and make it down there about 6 times a year. Its shoreline makes is truly unique. But it can be a bit of zoo during the summer weekends. Still a nice place to get away. Great place to drink, golf, ride around in the water and do a little cloud skiing.
gatkinso
October 31, 2005
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
What is this about Moonshine Mountain? Is there a link about this anywhere or is it simply wishful thinking.

On the off chance that it is real, I will simply say "BRING ON MOONSHINE MOUNTAIN!
Murphy
October 31, 2005
618 posts
Quote:

What is this about Moonshine Mountain? Is there a link about this anywhere or is it simply wishful thinking.

On the off chance that it is real, I will simply say "BRING ON MOONSHINE MOUNTAIN!

Wishful thinking....Homemade spirits induced delusion...call it what you will.
Roger Z
October 31, 2005
2,181 posts
Gat, believe in the power of Powerball and Moonshine Mountain will be. Why is there air? Why am I poaching Jimmy's lines? Only because since Moonshine Mountain doesn't exist, it must be invented... live the zen of Moonshine...
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
November 1, 2005
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
928 posts
We're getting a lottery here in NC next year. I'll allocate a few tickets to mythical mountain development, though I have a different site picked out

Moonshine looks good, though I think you were experiencing the spirit a little too much when you designed those southwest facing slopes
Murphy
November 1, 2005
618 posts
Quote:

We're getting a lottery here in NC next year. I'll allocate a few tickets to mythical mountain development, though I have a different site picked out

Moonshine looks good, though I think you were experiencing the spirit a little too much when you designed those southwest facing slopes

What southwest facing slopes? The main face is due North and the bowl turns a little to have an easterly exposure. This plan may have been conceived with some help from the happy juice but it's gonna happen. Especially when you donate you're winnings.
Roger Z
November 1, 2005
2,181 posts
those west-southwest slopes do face a shade north, if you notice. However, the main reason they're there is to provide something resembling intermediate skiing for intermediate skiers. Most of those runs will be warm and sun-soaked- rough to keep snow on but marvelous for skiing so long as the temp is under 45F. Besides, with the billion odd dollars from various lottery winnings it won't bother us to blow extra snow on those runs for no particular reason.
Murphy
November 1, 2005
618 posts
Quote:

those west-southwest slopes do face a shade north, if you notice. However, the main reason they're there is to provide something resembling intermediate skiing for intermediate skiers. Most of those runs will be warm and sun-soaked- rough to keep snow on but marvelous for skiing so long as the temp is under 45F. Besides, with the billion odd dollars from various lottery winnings it won't bother us to blow extra snow on those runs for no particular reason.

Ahh, I forgot about the backside you drew up.
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
November 1, 2005
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
928 posts
if i'm investing, i'm gonna insist on some design changes. i need some glades and a terrain park for the kids. a landing strip for the gulfstream. and forget those beginner and intermediate slopes, its not like this thing is going to be funded by lift tickets anyway. think a-basin of the south.
Roger Z
November 2, 2005
2,181 posts
We're only accepting silent partners. And a Gulfstream landing strip? At Moonshine??? Our good ol' boys would have that thing disassembled and sold for scrap before you taxied to the terminal- which would consist of a trailer with the meanest pitbull you've ever seen covering our "homeland security" requirements. The hound dog on the front steps would be the equivalent of current airport security.

Come to think of it, Roanoke airport is already a lot like this...
jimmy
November 2, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Steady higgins, that gulfstream could take shine running to a higher plain. Moon light flight, proofmasters delite! Man, four more weeks til money season is over, can't wait to be a SKI BUM again .
JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 2, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,987 posts
Recommend the Moonshine Mtn Consortium acquire a quantity of surplus Russian devices, resurrect Edward Teller's Project Plowshare concept, and initiate an aggressive earth moving program to "enhance" regional geography. Use this as excavation blueprint: http://community.webshots.com/photo/64465494/64465494JYfVpD
jimmy
November 2, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

Quote:

Wishful thinking....Homemade spirits induced delusion...call it what you will.

Gatkinso, DANGER DANGER Will Robinson! Proceed with caution, these (we) folks are more serious than they let on!U don't want to end up like woodie? and snowmakers.
Roger Z
November 2, 2005
2,181 posts
I think all we need is $100-$150 million dollars and a good inside contact at the USFS, as well as a shady eminent-domain economic development con artist- and we're there. Really, I don't see how this is unrealistic.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?