Snowshoe Trip Report
8 posts
4 users
Snowmakers
October 26, 2005
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
A few pics and a brief summary of my evening yesterday.

We left town at 3:40pm, as soon as the bell rang. Not long after we got west of town, we were greeted by snow. Traveling north, we saw a steady moderate snow, nearly all the way to marlington. Not a thing on the ground. Until you get north of marlington to about 3000'. As soon as we started up the incline of the mountin south of snowshoe, we saw the first white ground. Nothing significant until we hit the western base of snowshoe. There, 3" on the ground at the raven golf course. The roads were clear, until we crossed 3500'. We then encountered slush on the roads, and a good 5" on the grass. But at the split of the road (One goes to snowshoe, one goes to Silver Creek) there was a good 1" of pack on the road, and approaching 6" on the sides. The winds were blowing a good 30mph, and the powder snow (It was 25) was drifting crazy. Decided to hit the camp 4 area. Up there at 4400', there was 3" on the roads, gusts to 40, and 7" on the grass and runs. Started sessioning the camp 4 run, but it was getting dark fast, so I was not able to get further down. But I was pleasently surprised when lights came on from the camp 4 condos parking lot. This lit up the camp 4 run, and I rode until a lil after 8. Built a nice 2-3' ramp, and sessioned it for a while. It was epic. Never in my dreams would I have thought of riding 10" of powpow in october, and before my trip to the NE just 4 days away. Wow. Enough talk- How bout them pics?

JimK - DCSki Columnist
October 27, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Outstanding. Thanks for sharing.

Where you going in NE? I heard Jay Peak, VT got 20" on 10/25&26.
Snowmakers
October 27, 2005
222 posts
Well we are stayin at smugs, but they wont be open. But I plan to hit the big ones (open or not). Certainly Sugarloaf with their 40", K-Mart, Jay, and Okemo plans to open on the 5th. Also mt. washington is a possibility. Ill be sure to take pics for you guys.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
October 27, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
I'm a bit behind on catching up with the New England snow totals. Apparently Mt. Wash summit got something like 6', summit of Wildcat 4' from the good old fashioned Wilma-nor'easter. Supposedly Killington and some others may scurry to open some lifts this weekend? Don't know about Smuggs, Jay, Stowe, MRG, etc. but I'm sure their websites will post something if they plan to operate lifts.
You should have a wild time.

btw did you plan this ahead and get lucky or spontaneous trip?
BushwackerinPA
October 27, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
IF killington Opens there lifts i might do one of the stupidest thing i have ever done and do a killington Day trip.
Chances of this happening are much less than my chance from tuesday.
jimboc
October 27, 2005
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
you can do it in about 8 1/2 hours - try the happy bear motel - cheap and on the access road....
BushwackerinPA
October 27, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Wildcat Right now is the only ones saying they might open.
Snowmakers
October 27, 2005
222 posts
Okemo on the 5th.

And this trip was planned early back in july. I must say, luck is on my side.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.