First Snow in WVA/MD highlands early next week?
21 posts
13 users
3k+ views
tgd
October 21, 2005
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
I copied this down from the NOAA forecast discussion:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA
1030 AM EDT FRI OCT 21 2005

(ISSUED 307 AM EDT FRI OCT 21 2005)

LONG TERM (SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY)...

A BROAD CLOSED LOW ALOFT WILL DEVELOP INTO SUNDAY ACROSS THE REGION
WITH CONTINUED SHOWERS. THIS WILL BE FOLLOWED BY ANOTHER STRONG
UPPER SYSTEM WITH A REINFORCING COLD SHOT INTO TUESDAY. SHOWERS INTO
TUESDAY NIGHT WITH SNOW SHOWERS POSSIBLE IN THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF
GARRETT PRESTON AND TUCKER BY MONDAY NIGHT
Snowmakers
October 21, 2005
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
Post of the week!
bawalker
October 21, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
This is bawalker reporting live from Winchester VA where temperatures are dropping fast with light drizzle that could be mistaken for light flurries. We are expecting the storm of the century coming soon giving us catestrophic amounts of snow leading to widespread powder dumps all over the region. With such massive amounts of snow we look for local governments to collapse, law enforcement to be non existant and skiiers to take control and run new governments from Timberline.

OKOK i'm bored and online at circuit city. :P
BushwackerinPA
October 21, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Thread of the week for sure.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
jb714
October 21, 2005
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
Bawalker, you are definitely my kind of visionary!

I am at the cottage this weekend, and it is mighty chilly - the high today was about 46, with lots of drizzle. The forecast for SUn night and Mon night is for possible flurries - unfortunately I have to return to DC SUn afternoon so I won't see it.
Crush
October 21, 2005
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
ohhh sweeet ! You guys are on your way ... sweet dreams and sweet dreamy turns ... for all , goodnite .. sleep tight and don't let the bedbugs bite ... and 1,000 dream turns to all! Onward Dancer, Prancer, Comet, Cupid, Blizten and Looser lol .... oh that one is meeeee!
hockeydave
October 22, 2005
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
From 10/22/05 Johnstown Tribune-Democrat newspaper....

Snow may begin flying next week

By JULIE BENAMATI
jbenamati@tribdem.com

The region could see the first signs of Old Man Winter early next week as forecasters predict wet snow on Monday night or early Tuesday.

With the chance of snow flying earlier than usual, some local hardware stores are seeing the start of winter preparations.

John Feerick, a meteorologist at AccuWeather in State College, said there have been times when the region has seen the flakes before mid-October.

"It seems early, but at this point in the year, our average high temperatures are really starting to crash," Feerick said. "Our average highs have been in the lower 60s. But by early next week, they're getting to the lower 40s."

He does not expect to see any accumulation.

"Monday's surface temps will be too warm, in the lower 40s," Feerick said. "The snow is not going to be a big deal."

Some of the highest elevations could see slippery spots but, in general, the region should expect a light, melting snow.

AccuWeather has forecast lower-than-average temperatures for this year's winter season, and a slightly above-average snowfall.

"Right now, for the Johnstown area, we're predicting average temps 2 to 3 degrees below average, and slightly above-average snowfall," Feerick said.

He said the city of Johnstown averages about 55 inches of snow per winter season, but the airport area and nearby higher elevations average about 90.

"Johnstown could see 55 to 70 inches this year," Feerick said.

Mike Strollo, owner of Strollo's home improvement on Bigler Avenue, Northern Cambria, said the hint of snow hasn't increased business - yet.

"The people notoriously wait until they can walk through (the snow)," Strollo said. "I can't blame them, because the weather is so unpredictable."

But Strollo said his customers are not ignoring the threat of higher heating costs.

"They are just now realizing it's going to get cold, and they're buying what they can afford to supplement their oil and gas bills," Strollo said. "My customers are choosing $30 to $50 electric heaters instead of wood or propane, because that's the cheapest way out right now."

Paul Coughenour, owner of Somerset Outdoor Equipment, 312 S. Center Ave., Somerset, has seen many more chainsaws go out of his door recently than in past years.

"I've sold chainsaws for people who are planning to cut wood to supplement their heat," Coughenour said. "I understand there will be more people buying firewood this year than ever before."

He also has seen a run on snowblowers.

"We've had quite a few people looking and several people buying snowblowers already," he added. "I'm quite pleased with that, and I hope it's not a one-shot deal."

Coughenour said customers are disagreeing with forecasters, though, and are resorting to old tales for predictions.

"Last week, a customer told me he saw three solid-black woolly worms, and that's an indication of a hard winter," Coughenour said. "I've also heard that if you have a year with a lot of acorns, that's another indication."

Coughenour said he has seen a lot of acorns this year.

"I don't usually buy into (the tales)," he said. "But I guess we're in for it this year."
Roger Z
October 22, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Weather Channel just posted a cold weather warning for Northwest NC, southwest VA and south central WV. Looks like Beech and Sugar *might* see some light accumulations by Monday morning (and Mount Rogers for backcountry enthusiasts):

ALLEGHANY NC-ALLEGHANY VA-AMHERST-APPOMATTOX-ASHE-BATH-BEDFORD-BLAND- BOTETOURT-BUCKINGHAM-CAMPBELL-CARROLL-CASWELL-CHARLOTTE-CRAIG-FLOYD- FRANKLIN-GILES-GRAYSON-GREENBRIER-HALIFAX-HENRY-MERCER-MONROE- MONTGOMERY-PATRICK-PITTSYLVANIA-PULASKI-ROANOKE-ROCKBRIDGE- ROCKINGHAM-SMYTH-STOKES-SUMMERS-SURRY-TAZEWELL-WATAUGA-WILKES-WYTHE- YADKIN- 418 AM EDT SAT OCT 22 2005
...MUCH COLDER AIR TO MOVE INTO THE MID ATLANTIC REGION...

A WEAK LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM OVER THE MID ATLANTIC STATES WILL MOVE NORTHEAST AND STRENGTHEN ALONG THE NEW ENGLAND COAST THIS WEEKEND AS A LARGE HIGH PRESSURE SYSTEM BUILDS SLOWLY SOUTHEAST OUT OF SOUTHERN CANADA. THE CIRCULATION BETWEEN THESE TWO SYSTEMS WILL PULL MUCH COLDER AIR INTO THE MID ATLANTIC REGION THIS WEEKEND INTO EARLY NEXT WEEK...RESULTING IN THE COLDEST TEMPERATURES OF THE EARLY FALL SEASON.

SCATTERED SHOWERS ARE EXPECTED WEST OF THE BLUE RIDGE FOR THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS AS UPSLOPE FLOW STRENGTHENS WITH THE ARRIVAL OF THE COLDER AIR. BY SUNDAY NIGHT...TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO BECOME COLD ENOUGH FOR SOME OF THE RAIN TO MIX WITH OR CHANGE TO SNOW... MAINLY AT ELEVATIONS ABOVE 3500 FEET.

WITH GROUND TEMPERATURES REMAINING WARM...MOST AREAS WILL NOT RECEIVE ANY MEASURABLE SNOWFALL. HOWEVER...SOME PATCHY VERY LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS ARE POSSIBLE ABOVE 4500 FEET.
fishnski
October 22, 2005
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
41 degrees at 3750' at 4 pm on oct 22....It will snow above 4000' up on Mount Porte Crayon Tonite! & tommorrow & thru wed.My house which faces MPC is built but I have not got the propane hooked up which is my heat source,so I am not going up there to see my 1st white capped view! It would be hard to go from SE NC where we were swimming in 76 degree surf temps(& catching some good fish out of the surf) & air temps in the low 80's to the canaan area & 40's & 20's at nite! Looking at a very clear satelite view of the West Va highlands MPC & the roaring plains with Haystack & Green knob are the only feature that actually sticks out.You can see the valley(canaan)also.Finding Snowshoe or Spruce knob for that matter is hard to see.MPC rules.......Git er built!!!!!
jonjon
October 22, 2005
Member since 04/2/2004 🔗
70 posts
We already had some wet snowflakes mix in with the rain earlier this afternoon when it was coming down hard here in Davis!!
Roger Z
October 23, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Quick update for NW NC, SW VA and SC WV: NWS (is that enough initials for DC Ski Board? ) has lowered the forecasted potential accumulation elevation from 4500 feet to 4000 feet. Around here, that's the difference between accumulating snow being confined to Mount Rogers and Clinch Mountain above Burkes Garden to accumulating snow spreading to Mountain Lake, possibly Poor Mountain, Buckhorn (Moonshine!), and a number of peaks just north of I-64 in Snowmakers' country.
Snowmakers
October 23, 2005
222 posts
Yep. Confirmed that Ingalls Field (Hot Springs Airport) reported periods of light snow from 4-6pm yesterday. Also rumors that the homestead got some snow, and possibly a dusting on the trees up there.
Snowmakers
October 23, 2005
222 posts
Here is my BEAUTIFUL forecast that just came out!!! I need not say anymore.

--------------------------------------------------
Low Moore,VA

This
Afternoon
Partly Cloudy
Partly
Cloudy
Hi 46°F

Tonight
Chance Rain. Chance for Measurable Precipitation 50%
Chance
Rain
Lo 35°F

Monday
Rain/Snow Likely. Chance for Measurable Precipitation 60%
Rain/Snow
Likely
Hi 38°F

Monday Night
Chance Rain/Snow. Chance for Measurable Precipitation 50%
Chance
Rain/Snow
Lo 31°F

Tuesday
Chance Rain/Snow. Chance for Measurable Precipitation 30%
Chance
Rain/Snow
Hi 41°F

Tuesday Night
Slight Chance Rain. Chance for Measurable Precipitation 20%
Slight Chc
Rain
Lo 28°F

Wednesday
Partly Cloudy
Partly
Cloudy
Hi 44°F

Wednesday Night
Mostly Clear
Mostly
Clear
Lo 22°F

Thursday
Mostly Sunny
Mostly
Sunny
Hi 48°F
--------------------------------------------------------

I think I may be able to fire up my guns for the first time this year! We'll see.
Taylormatt
October 23, 2005
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
This was posted on epicski. Highly unlikely, but interesting none the less. It would be cool if it happened, even more cool if it extended further West.

http://www.proneax.net/pub_img/bestcasescenario.jpg
fishnski
October 23, 2005
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Canaan Hts got a little white last nite.Killington got a foot at there highest peak(4135'?) & if that superstorm developes(Alfa & Wilma merging) then I think that killington might just be open for skiing next week! MPC (4770' West va Mtn) should be white & frosty for the next few days....Good sledding until we can get a chairlift on that badboy! HOW BOUT THEM SKINS??!!!
langleyskier
October 23, 2005
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
My prediction- Alpha and Wilma mix and create a giant super-storm that covers all eastern ski resorts with many feet of snow and all local resorts including whitetail open early next week!!!!!!!!!!
Snowmakers
October 23, 2005
222 posts
Quote:

Killington got a foot at there highest peak(4135'?) & if that superstorm developes(Alfa & Wilma merging) then I think that killington might just be open for skiing next week!

I certainly hope so
jonjon
October 23, 2005
Member since 04/2/2004 🔗
70 posts
Quote:

Canaan Hts got a little white last nite.Killington got a foot at there highest peak(4135'?) & if that superstorm developes(Alfa & Wilma merging) then I think that killington might just be open for skiing next week! MPC (4770' West va Mtn) should be white & frosty for the next few days....Good sledding until we can get a chairlift on that badboy! HOW BOUT THEM SKINS??!!!

I can smell the snow coming!!

And how 'bout those skins!!!
snowcone
October 23, 2005
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Well, actually W & A will probably mix and generate a pretty standard nor'easter. That said, there is a nice bit of cold air heading east .. NEng looks to get the most of it and the snow, BUT read this! ... http://snow-forecast.com/resorts/Snowshoe-Mountain-Resort.0to3top.shtml ...
Lots of snow dreams tonight!
Snowmakers
October 23, 2005
222 posts
Yes, a healthy 4-6" for the shoe. Thinkin about some turns on Tuesday or Wednesday up there.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?