When is it coming?!
6 posts
6 users
1k+ views
antipod
October 20, 2005
Member since 10/18/2005 🔗
6 posts
I found this great site and forum last week and I've been back constantly since. I'm an aussie who's been living in England for the past 4 years (so NO snowboarding!!). Just recently moved to DC...I'm dying to break out my board, but when does the mid-atlantic season start!! I hope it absolutely blizzards around here all winter!!! I need snow...
JimK - DCSki Columnist
October 20, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,987 posts
Welcome! We'll look forward to your insights about non-US ski locations.
Start of local season is very weather dependent. Some of the aggressive snowmaking areas like Snowshoe WV, Wisp MD, Seven Springs PA may open around Thanksgiving, but usually its in early to mid Dec. Most all areas try very hard to be open all or part by Christmas. Finish comes in early to mid March. Although Snowshoe often makes it into Apr.
Snowmakers
October 20, 2005
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
Backing up Jim-

Season is on average Dec 1 - March 21, as ive noticed alot of resorts like to make it the whole official winter.

But almost always, snowshoe is the first to open, usually having 4-5 trails open for thanksgiving. Then comes a rush of them like Wintergreen, Timberline, Winterplace, and other decent size resorts. Usually all are open by the 20th.
BushwackerinPA
October 20, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Agreed beside the finish, for every year I have skied I have skied the last weekend in march at Hidden Valley, and at least one day in April at Snowshoe or springs, hell April 3rd of last yeah I skied 14 inches of fresh snow, and april 23rd?I hike for turns at 7springs again.

Welcome to the sight hope to see you out there this year!!:)
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
October 20, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,992 posts
Welcome Antipod. Check out the Q&A section of the site. There's an entire section devoted to those who are new to the area. It should answer most of your DEEP questions about DC area skiing, the length of the season, etc:

http://www.dcski.com/faq/index.php
POWPOW
October 20, 2005
Member since 05/10/2005 🔗
124 posts
i skinned and skiied highlands at wintergreen for 2 weeks after they closed. the first week and a half you could run almost the entire 1k vertical non stop. Get in 4 laps and bag it each day. 2 times were at night with headlamps

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?