Montage
7 posts
5 users
gatkinso
October 19, 2005
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
I am thinking about trying Montage out this season. I drove past a few months ago and could see the slopes from I-81. The distance (from Baltimore) is about the same as 7Springs, but the terrain *looks* better and there are no back roads to contend with.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Ullr
October 19, 2005
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
If your going to drive that far go an extra 1/2 hour and ski Elk.
tommo
October 19, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
Montage has good vertical and, usually, pretty good snow cover. The "lower" trails are all good. On the other hand, it's the about the nearest thing to "urban" skiing (if there is such a thing) as you'll find. It's sort of like ice skating at a suburban rink compared to on a rural pond. Both good, but definitely different. Oh, and be careful on 81 through Harrisburg - heavy speed enforcement on weekends and at nights
gatkinso
October 20, 2005
316 posts
I was thinking that about Elk, but *on paper" they look about the same but one is a bit closer.

They areally aren't that far from me, I can be to either in the same amount of time as I can to Canaan Valley. I was just wondering how they measured up and if my search for variety would be worthwhile.
gatkinso
October 20, 2005
316 posts
That as good to know - I hate the roads thru H-burg anyway with their 1940's designed on ramps and two lane "freeways", thanks.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
October 20, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
First, a disclaimer, I have not skied at Montage, but have read a lot about it.
I would not hesitate to go to Elk. A wonderful mountain with lots of trails for all abilities. It really is, as advertised, "a little bit of Vermont down Sourth."
The Colonel
RobertW
October 20, 2005
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
199 posts
I agree with The Colonel. I have skied both (it has been awhile). Montage splits its vertical between the upper half (green/blue) and the lower half (black). Beginer terrain is limited. Most people end up sliding the upper or the lower half which makes it feel like a much smaller mountain. Elk is worth the extra drive. Its slopes are well laid out with top to bottom runs for everyone. Nice mountain with a lot of personality.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?