Colorado ski forum
9 posts
6 users
1k+ views
donm
October 10, 2005
Member since 10/10/2005 🔗
1 posts
I am moving from Centreville, VA to Colorado Springs just before Thanksgiving, and am looking for a message forum that focuses on Colorado skiing. Any help would be great.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
October 10, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,987 posts
Check out the thread below from www.epicski.com At the very end it mentions www.coski.com Maybe that will help, but if these don't help ask your question outright on www.epicski.com for a good CO forum. Good luck in snow country, I think you're going to get to know Breckenridge, Ski Cooper and Wolf Creek??

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php...orado+ski+forum
comprex
October 11, 2005
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Don't forget Monarch!
nakedskier
October 11, 2005
Member since 02/3/2005 🔗
93 posts
I just moved to Denver back in August and I'm starting to get to know the mountains on my own before the season starts (camping, biking, hiking) but that plan has been all blown to pieces (woohoo!!!)....

Not to blow smoke up anyone's hole but the people on this forum, even though they're not local, know a hell of a lot about skiing out west. I'm definitely going to be taking up some of their suggestions that I've read about in previous posts. Good luck with the move and if you want to hit the slopes sometime, let me know....

Ohh and get the Colorado Pass!!! It's unbelievable, unlimited access to A-Basin, Keystone, Breck and 10 days at Vail and Beaver Creek. All for $369!!! That's what everyone has around here. They'll ask you if you got your pass yet and you'll catch on soon enough...
JimK - DCSki Columnist
October 11, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,987 posts
Yeah Monarch's a good suggestion. Believe only 100miles/2hrs from Colorado Springs. For some reason I was thinking it might not be operating anymore, but that's not correct. Here's a mileage chart with link to a map of areas near Colorado Springs:
http://www.cheriseselley.com/ski.htm

Question for naked: do you think it would be quicker to get to Loveland than Monarch from Colorado Springs on a Sunday morning?
nakedskier
October 11, 2005
Member since 02/3/2005 🔗
93 posts
That's a good question and probably one that will be posed for generations down the line. However, I do not have any experience with Colorado Springs (yet) and getting into the mountains from the Springs. I was just in the Springs on Friday watching the University of Maine hockey team crush Air Force! Go Maine!!!

Let me offer you this instead. It's easier to get to the mountains on a Sunday morning than a Saturday morning because you have the weekend traveller's crowding the roads on Saturday morning and staying the night into Sunday. Usually, the weekender's will be starting to leave around 1 or 2 in the afternoon on Sunday so it behooves the daytrippers to stick around a little while on Sunday to let the crowds die down on the roads. I haven't experienced this myself yet, this is coming from my roommates boyfriend who owns a condo in Breck.
comprex
October 11, 2005
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
On bluebird weekends I would be sorely tempted to use 24W to 9 north to Breck.

I haven't driven that way in 10 years, it was a very lonely road with lots of climbing until the actual turn onto rte 9 then it got really busy. Let us know if you find anything about it, more recent that is?

Hmm. JimK I just clicked through to your map page. Take a look at the Breck distance and the Eldora distance. No way Breck would be closer if they were using I70 for both calculations.
Roy
October 13, 2005
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
You roommate's boyfriend is right. I70 on Sunday at 1pm is worse than the beltway in rush hour. Either leave early Sunday (and not ski) or leave Sunday night. The traffic to Colorado Springs is not the issue, it's always coming down the mountain.
jimboc
October 13, 2005
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
Loveland to Open Friday

The Loveland Ski Area is opening Friday at nine a-m -- the first ski resort to do so this season.

The ski area moved its snow-making guns to the base area early this morning in final preparations for customers.

Loveland wanted to be sure it could maintain about a 20 inch base after opening for the season. Once employees could guarantee that, the decision to open Friday was made.

The early winter storm that hit Colorado Monday helped move up the opening date at Loveland, which reported about 18 inches of fresh snow afterward.

Arapahoe Basin Ski Area hasn't changed its plan of opening on October 21st, while most other ski areas in the state are planning to open next month

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?