Passes
19 posts
9 users
3k+ views
Snowmakers
October 1, 2005
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
I havnt posted in quite a while, but yuo are the people that would have the best knowlege for my question.

Im lookin through passes for area resorts. This year, I will be given one for christmas from my family, and am looking to buy another.

I live in covington. Alleghany county is 20 miles south of the homestead. I attend AHS, and am released at 3:00pm.

I have been looking, and Wintergreen seems to offer a good deal. $169 for the midweek pass. Yet I am really wanting to get one to Snowshoe. It is 2.5 hours from me, and wintergreen is just under 2. The homestead is about 35 minutes, yet they offer no night skiing, so the midweek would do me almost no good. Their standard pass is a outrageous $395.

Wintergreen- Pay $165 for midweek pass- 2 hour drive.

Snowshoe- Pay $287 for midweek, or $455 for a standard- Almost a 3 hour drive when weather is taken into thought.
(Pss rate goes up in 30 days)

Homestead- Pay $395 for standard pass- 35 minute drive

Winterplace- Pay $599 for standard, $399 for midweek, and $209 for night only.-2 hour drive.

Im looking for some opinions as to what I should do.

Thanks.
Heather
October 1, 2005
Member since 02/24/2005 🔗
170 posts
Sorry Snowmaker, but it has been five or more years since I have purchased a season pass, and I am not familiar enough with your surrounding area to offer you any guidance. Hopefully someone out there in DCSki land will pony up with some info that may be ofhelp to you. Again sorry I couldn't help!
snowcone
October 2, 2005
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
If you want to ski Snowshoe cheap, you have to buy your pass before June/july 1 (they change the date every year). this year the pre-pre-season price was in the $350 range for full season .. a pretty good deal. Next year, watch their website April/May for season pass announcements.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
October 3, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
In your shoes/boots I think I'd lean towards that $169 midweek Wintergreen pass, especially since it includes Friday nights and allows skiing after 1230pm on Sundays. Doesn't Wintergreen have a pretty high percent of their slopes lit for night skiing? Do they maintain a pretty good park?

Also, I took a look at your website. Where'd you learn all the stuff about making professional quality snow in your backyard?
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Roger Z
October 3, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
That is impressive knowledge of snowmaking... you're in high school? You've got a job as Moonshine Mountain snowmaking manager if you want it...
Murphy
October 3, 2005
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Quote:

That is impressive knowledge of snowmaking... you're in high school? You've got a job as Moonshine Mountain snowmaking manager if you want it...

Of course an engineering degree from a good engineering school like...I don't know...maybe VT would help insure that job is yours.
Snowmakers
October 3, 2005
222 posts
Yeah, I am leaning towards that wintergreen pass alot. Be a nice after-school session. Cheap too.

And about my site, I learned it back in 1998. Been doing it ever since. I love the look of my neighbors when they look up at my slope and see the massive 4' piles my machines made overnight. I love it. Got my own park from December through midMarch.

Thanks to everyone for the comments about it.
Snowmakers
October 3, 2005
222 posts
Quote:

Also, I took a look at your website. Where'd you learn all the stuff about making professional quality snow in your backyard?

I learned by checking out how the snowguns worked at real resorts way back in grade school. But about a year ago after I had been doing it for a while, I found a really good snowmaking forum. I have learned quite a bit, and am in the process of building a fangun like one that you would find at a resort.

Website -> www.snowguns.com
Roger Z
October 3, 2005
2,181 posts
Murphy's got a great point there Snowmaker. You go to UVA to be a lawyer. You come to Va Tech to do something useful with your life- like build the mother of all snowmaking systems. We could get grant money for you... come to the Dark Side...
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
October 3, 2005
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
not to stir the pot, but there is a nice graduate engineering physics program at UVA, and it's awfully close to wintergreen.

but really, i wanted to add kudos for the website and the trail map is just too cool. i wasn't doing anything nearly that productive when i was in high school. you have a great future ahead of you.

oh yeah, there is an article in Powder about "widow moses free ski area" that a high school physics teacher put up in his backyard in vermont. no snowmaking needed up there, but it seems like you could get some pub for this also. heck, last year the today show even showed a guy in Charlotte making snow in his backyard.
Murphy
October 3, 2005
618 posts
Quote:

not to stir the pot, but there is a nice graduate engineering physics program at UVA, and it's awfully close to wintergreen.

but really, i wanted to add kudos for the website and the trail map is just too cool. i wasn't doing anything nearly that productive when i was in high school. you have a great future ahead of you.

oh yeah, there is an article in Powder about "widow moses free ski area" that a high school physics teacher put up in his backyard in vermont. no snowmaking needed up there, but it seems like you could get some pub for this also. heck, last year the today show even showed a guy in Charlotte making snow in his backyard.

You don't need a graduate degree in Physics to make snow. Have you ever met a physics graduate student (you aren't/weren't one were you?). Spending to much time thinking about the space/time continuum will mess you up. Used to know this 6'5" German grad student. Had a bald head with lightning bold shaped sideburns and lots of piercings...neat guy.

Snowmaker, if you ever were serious about an engineering degree from VT, PM me. My boss is a professor in ME there and every other engineer in my office is a VT grad
Snowmakers
October 3, 2005
222 posts
Quote:

but really, i wanted to add kudos for the website and the trail map is just too cool. I wasn't doing anything nearly that productive when i was in high school. you have a great future ahead of you.

Yes we do. Sorry tech guys but im a wahoo... A wahoo for life.

My rents did some prepaid tuition stuff, so I can choose from any college(s) for my 4 years. Im looking at liberty (Great hockey team) and UVA where I plan to magor in meteorology or engineering.

One day, Ill be puttin the white stuff down that all of us will ride on at Snowshoe. From there, who knows.

No disrespect to tech whatsoever, but I have been looking at UVA for a long time, and really like it.

Thanks for the comments too.
Roger Z
October 4, 2005
2,181 posts
So not only are you going to UVA but you won't make snow for Moonshine Mountain? The only possible explanation for this plethora of errors is youth...

Jimmy how come you're not trying to talk him into being a Mountaineer? There's so many great Appalachian schools with so much illicit liquor in such need for a great snowmaker, and he's looking at the Piedmont instead. Jimmy, at times like this you and I have to look in the mirror and ask "where have we gone wrong?" Our youth have been led astray, indeed.
jimmy
October 4, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
While we're on the subject , this young man, snowmakers, seems so bright and curious, but his "cavalier" attitude, idunno, i can't explain it. I look at his great accomplishments in developing his own resort and snowmaking system......wow it embarasses me that my greatest invention to date was the "gondola with a good ventilation system" . Where have we gone wrong u ask? We have failed to lead our youth astray, i say..........follow in my footsteps,......a mother's nightmare .
Snowmakers
October 4, 2005
222 posts
Quote:

While we're on the subject , this young man, snowmakers, seems so bright and curious, but his "cavalier" attitude, idunno, i can't explain it. I look at his great accomplishments in developing his own resort and snowmaking system......wow it embarasses me that my greatest invention to date was the "gondola with a good ventilation system" . Where have we gone wrong u ask? We have failed to lead our youth astray, i say..........follow in my footsteps,......a mother's nightmare .

That was deep man...
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
October 4, 2005
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
Something tells me this young ladd isn't really going to spend his career making snow. maybe something else in fluid dynamics, but probably not snow. this could be a nice hobby.

More importantly, though a mostly impartial observer in the friendly tech/uva debate, I do have one thing to add: choose either one over Liberty in a heartbeat. Odds are good that one day you'll be glad, really glad. Whether you ever know it or not, it does matter.

Now, back on subject. Where do I get a pass to moonshine mnt?

ps: nah, I only got my undergrad in physics, grad school went to stats. its all good. physics is only slightly less fun than sex or skiing.
TLaHaye
October 5, 2005
Member since 02/9/2005 🔗
136 posts
Back on topic here ... it's a no-brainer. Have the family buy a full pass for Snowshoe, and buy your own mid-week pass to Wintergreen.
Murphy
October 5, 2005
618 posts
Wintergreen will be selling passes at the Swap at Freestyle in Roanoke the weekend of Oct. 15th. Not sure if they'll be offering a special deal.
Snowmakers
October 15, 2005
222 posts
Well, I am now an official Wintergreen season pass holder. Looks like it will be good

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?