The hands down best ski trip packing list ever
15 posts
9 users
2k+ views
myrto
July 27, 2003
Member since 10/4/2001 🔗
259 posts
I thought we could use our collective genious to come up with the "best ski trip packing list" ever.
For the purpose of this excersise let's assume this is a driving trip for 4 - 7 days in the US or Canada.My personal opinion is the lighter the packing the better.

Lets see what we've got. (we've got to do something to keep ourselves busy)

ski_guy_59
July 27, 2003
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
Ok...let's see:
First, the essentials:
-boots
-poles
-skis
-gloves
-mask
-snowboard pants/jacket/cool hat
-3 pairs wool socks
-one t shirt per day
-3 pairs zip off pants
-clean boxers for EVERY DAY...boxer briefs if you're hiking
-comfortable shoes
-appropriate accessories for the skiing
-chap stik
-camera/film/batteries
-snow shoes
myrto
July 28, 2003
Member since 10/4/2001 🔗
259 posts
Ok...let's see:
First, the essentials:
-boots
-poles
-skis
-gloves
-mask
-snowboard pants/jacket/cool hat

So far so good but here I would depart

-3 pairs wool socks

DOn't care for wool socks they're too thick

-one t shirt per day agree

-3 pairs zip off pants---any outer layer is fine and I have never neede more than one

-clean boxers for EVERY DAY...boxer briefs if you're hiking

I definitely go faster with the whitey tighties, plus they fit under my long underwear much better. I also tend to bring 1/2 a supply and do a load of laundry

-comfortable shoes agreed

-appropriate accessories for the skiing

This is where I would put the walkie talkies, chocolate (for energy on the lifts)and tunes.

-chap stik----agreed
-camera/film/batteries---agreed

-snow shoes ----we are skiing here not walking. Way to much excersise without the assistance of gravity I personally would find no room for snow shoes.

I would add the following
Two Pair of Ski Socks
Helmet
Sunscreen and sunglasses
few trash bags to place dirty clothes in
deck of cards
Waterproof matches
Swim suits

ski_guy_59
July 28, 2003
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
I use the wool socks as ski socks. They keep my feet dry and warm, and insulate my shins. As far as pants, I like the boxer/pants/waterproof shell combo best, so thats why I included the zip off pants. SNowshoes definately would be kinda bad.
Roy
July 29, 2003
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
Ok this is personal but....

I don't even bring underwear at all. If you want to pack light, just use the long underwear, in particular Hot Chily's. It's the only one for the slopes.

Since this is a driving trip, where's the tunes???!! You have to pack at least 100 of your favorite CD's so you can listen to one and then wonder what's happening locally and forgot about the other 99 CD's.

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
July 29, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Don't sweat the details. Bring what you think you need and rely on Mr. Visa for the rest. I've never been to a resort where you can't purchase missing gear at the local ski shop.
Scott - DCSki Editor
July 29, 2003
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Pack 100 CD's?? Yikes.

Run out and get an iPod. My entire music collection (several hundred CD's) is on my iPod, which is the size of a pack of cards. And it's not even half full.

www.apple.com/ipod/

They're not cheap, but the iPod is one of the coolest and most useful gadgets I own.

XM Radio is also pretty cool for long drives to a resort. (I really enjoyed XM Radio for the drive to Colorado in January, for example!)

www.xmradio.com

snowcone
July 29, 2003
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
We prefer Sirius satellite radio. It has more stations that are advertisement-less, at least 60, which is about 35 more than XM. We had Sirius on a rental Ford Expedition for our trip to Tahoe last winter and loved it. We drove from SanFran to Incline to Heavenly and had music all the way. We like it so much in fact, that I had it installed in our truck. Sirius service is a bit more expensive than XM (by 3 bucks/month) but I feel its worth it .. especially in mountainous areas where normal radio reception is spotty at best.
ski_guy_59
July 29, 2003
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
Another option for your tunes is to purchase a Mini-Disc player. Sony makes several models that are capable of storing 5 hours of music on one $2.00 disc. The disc is slightly smaller than a 3.5" floppy, and a little bit thicker.
myrto
July 29, 2003
Member since 10/4/2001 🔗
259 posts
As for the tunes ROY ther were on my list with the chocalate and walkie talkies.
Call me a sentamentalist but one thing I love about a road trip is finding the local radio stations. They get get pretty quirky and in these days of cable TV where no matter where you go you can see the same thing and read the USA today independent local radio is one of the last true free forms with down home roots. If you have neverenjoyed this audio culture enlightenment, next time you are in WV and the Steelers are playing find the game on the radio and check out their color man. John Waters would be proud.
Hell if your driving late night then AM can't be beat. It is amazing what you can find out about UFO's, cloning and frogs.
PhysicsMan
July 30, 2003
Member since 11/20/2001 🔗
218 posts
> ... Tin of Cat Crap ...

?!?!?!?!

OK, you got me on that one. What in the world are you talking about?

Tom / PM

JohnL
July 30, 2003
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
> ... Tin of Cat Crap ...

Cat Crap is the actual product name (may have been changed in recent years but packaging is the same). Comes in a small tin similar to the small tins of sun screen lip goo. Looks the same as sunscreen. You apply to the inside of your goggle lenses to prevent fogging.

Seriously.

JohnL
July 31, 2003
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Sad to say, the rat's nest in my car always seems to have the essentials for any road trip: plenty of loose change for tolls et al, sunglasses, spare beers & Mountain Dew, bottle opener, Swiss Army knife, road maps, assorted CD's and party tapes, aero bed, etc. When my nieces ride in my car, it's like being at an Easter egg hunt as they're squealing when they find (and keep) some more change.

Some of the most useful ski gadgets in my permanently packed ski bag:
- Mini google squeegie (fits over finger). Won't be slowed down by snow guns or blizzards.
- Tin of Cat Crap (the kind you buy not the kind from your pets). Best goggle antifogger around.
- Camelback. Hydrate or die.
- Rub on ski wax. Especially useful when you remember you should have had your skis waxed last week.
- Pocket ski tuner. It's amazing how grabby your ski edges can get when you hit a rock or two.
- Electric boot dryer. Fits in the palm of your hand. Hate to start the day with cold, wet feet.

warren
July 31, 2003
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Yes, Cat Crap is actually a brand name of a line of products. I was in Utah last season and bought some Cat Crap lip balm as the Canyon Sports shop on the way to the slopes. I'll have to try the goggle stuff, sounds great.

-Warren-

PhysicsMan
July 31, 2003
Member since 11/20/2001 🔗
218 posts
What a name! Thanks for filling me in. Somehow, I never ran across / paid attention to it before this.

Tom / PM

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.