mcdonalds in davis?
14 posts
8 users
6k+ views
myrto
June 6, 2003
Member since 10/4/2001 🔗
259 posts
Let's not forget with corridor H's accessibility comes sometimes unwanted developement. With distance you have certain protections.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
June 6, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Yeah, the whole ballgame will inevitably change. Fortunately, much of the land around Davis is already in protected status. We've got two state parks, the national forrest (including a national wilderness area), and the National Wildlife Refuge, which recently took over some additional land from the power co. That does not leave a heck of a lot of room for strip malls. We've also got some strong environmental groups in the area that will fight destructive development.

On the positive side, there are a lot of empty lots and dilapidated structures in Davis that should be developed. We could use a bookstore/cafe. I'd also like to see a Mexican Restaurant come to town.

ski_guy_59
June 6, 2003
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
hopefully the strip malls will stay away. The biggest problem with strip malls, especially in small towns, is that they become dilapidated rather quickly. Landlords don't have the money to make necessary repairs, so things get nasty quick. Thats how it is in our area
June 9, 2003
1,986 posts
I was up in Davis over the weekend and noticed a lot of earthmover activity on 93 just outside of town. Does anyone know what's going on with this development? I saw a US Department of Commerce sign but was traveling to quickly to read it.
canaanman
June 17, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
I need a refresher. Isn't the town of Thomas sinking?
PhysicsMan
June 18, 2003
Member since 11/20/2001 🔗
218 posts
I could be a smart alec and reply that "given its altitude, it has a long way to go before it hits sea level", but I don't think that's what you had in mind.

What are you referring to?

Tom / PM

June 18, 2003
1,986 posts
I never heard the sinking rumor about Thomas but one never knows. There could be mine shafts under the town, but given all the revitalization that's going on there, I doubt it is a serious problem. Has anyone checked out The Purple Fiddle? Great place!
canaanman
June 22, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
I must be mistaken. I guess it isn't... but somewhere I read that it was. Maybe it was Douglas.
June 23, 2003
1,986 posts
I was up in Davis again this weekend--epic hiking on the Sodds on Sunday (Breathed Mountain and Blackbird Knob trails).

Anyway, I am still intrigued by what's happening just outside of town on the right side of 93. Is this the beginnings of the new road (Corridor H)? Final design for the Davis to Bismark stretch is supposed to be completed this summer. Once that happens, I assume they can start building...

lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
July 16, 2003
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
I hope the good people of Davis and the surrounding areas put a strong resistance to the development of the squalid strip malls, McDonalds, KFCs and other chain stores that litter the landscapes of many ski towns. Canaan Valley deserves to resemble Stowe VT, not Fayetteville NC...
canaanman
July 27, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
I only hope that the folks putting together the plans for the sectons of Corridor H from Elkins to Davis/Thomas try to keep that ugly windfarm out of sight.
snowcone
July 27, 2003
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
For canaanman,

Which would you rather have: the wind farm or a petrol cracking plant? I for one would much rather see more wind farms. They represent clear, renewable energy that (hopefully) will keep those beautiful West Virginia mountains clean and pristine for a long time.

myrto
July 27, 2003
Member since 10/4/2001 🔗
259 posts
Yes I agre. It's a small price to pay and is much nicer to look at than the power plant on the lake in scherr.
JR
July 30, 2003
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
I must say, driving in fog and seeing a 50 foot propeller pop right out at you is COOL AS HECK. Plus, being an engineering nerd makes it even cooler.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?