Snowshoe - March 29-31!
1 post
1 user
1k+ views
Colonel
April 5, 2003
Member since 01/12/2003 🔗
15 posts
I too was at Snowshoe the weekendof March 29th, and got snowed in and had to extend through Monday March 31. I echo Ray Stevenson's comments, but if he thought it great skiing on sunday, he should have stayed until Monday. Over 18 inches of snow from the storm, and cold temperatures (low of 11 degrees)! Conditions were awesome on Monday, all had been groomed and it just kept snowing anearly all day, and of course no crowds. SWEEEEET!!!
I also stayed at AlleghenySprings, and the staff there was wonderful. I sis not think my Jr. Studio much different from those at Rimfire, but the attentive staff, the on-premisis pool and hot tub, the lounge area, especially the always present and attentive staff,etc. made the extra cost worthwhile. I do think they should keep the outdoor pool a little warmer, it was 88 degrees, but felt mush colder than those I am used to elsewhere - same for the bigger pools that serves the entire Willage. I also think that some coat hooks would be useful in the ski storage/locker area. In short, I had a wonderful stay and Snowshoe exceeded all my expectations for the last weekend in March. In fact, I think Joe Stevems and Snowshoe managers should offer me free passes and trips for in 30 trips to the Shoe since it openned, I have never not had it snow on me while there!!!!! I also bought a new book at the Village "Pulp and Paper" bookstore called "SNOWSHOE - A Journey Through the Early Years" by DeWitt C. Fillmore. It is fascinating reading about the foundeers of Snowshoe, and their dreams and up and down adventures of starting up and operating a ski resort in the Mid-Atlantic region. The book covers the entire period of Snowshoe's existence through Intrawest, but the bulk of this most enjoyable and easy reading covers the period through 1984. If you like Mid-Atlantic skiing, especially Snowshoe, this book is a must read!
The Colonel
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?