WIntergreen by turkey day?
11 posts
9 users
1k+ views
langleyskier
September 21, 2005
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I am going to wintergreen with the family this year for Thanksgiving and was wondering if they are normally open by then (by open i mean at least an intermediate that is skiable). Last year i was there the same weekend and there was nothing but i know last year was a late winter. I know they claim they will be open by that weekend but i am always skeptical about resorts claiming to be "open" and having one 150 vert. green slope "open." Any ideas?
tommo
September 21, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
Wintergreen will be a great place to spend Thanksgiving weekend, but it's highly unlikely that there will be any skiing. Snowshoe and Wisp try to be at least minimally open that weekend, but most years it's just one or two green slopes (at best). And those are places that are almost always 12-15 degrees cooler than the DC area. Granted, the top of Wintergreen is at a pretty high elevation, but you're far more likely to be playing golf or hiking than to be skiing.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
September 21, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Quote:

Wintergreen will be a great place to spend Thanksgiving weekend, but it's highly unlikely that there will be any skiing. Snowshoe and Wisp try to be at least minimally open that weekend, but most years it's just one or two green slopes (at best). And those are places that are almost always 12-15 degrees cooler than the DC area. Granted, the top of Wintergreen is at a pretty high elevation, but you're far more likely to be playing golf or hiking than to be skiing.

If my memory is correct, I don't think any Mid-Atlantic resort (with the possible exception of Whitegrass and maybe Sugar) has nailed a Thanksgiving Opening since 2001. In 2000, Snowshoe opened with 31 trails, which was big! From a quick search of the DCSki archives, it appears that some resorts opened for Thanksgiving in 99 and 97, but warm weather seems to have plagued the early season since 2001.

Does anyone else have any Turkey day ski memories from this region to share?
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
September 21, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Snowshoe opened on the November 25th in 1998:

http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=464&mode=search

http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=465&mode=search

But then had to close:

http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=472&mode=search

Sugar bagged a 15 November opening in 2003 (but I think they had to close shortly thereafter due to warm weather):

http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=363&mode=search

I think it's obvious from a search of the DCSki archives that Thanksgiving is sort of a pipe dream in this region.
BushwackerinPA
September 21, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
In 01 I skied springs ,the 15th Of nov, with all of front face open. In 03 Hidden Valley was open in late nov and i skied on my birthday(the 26th).
jimmy
September 21, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Hey John, I've got 11/23/2000 at 7 Springs, it was Thanksgiving, moons lined up i guess.............and 11/27/2002 at snowshoe

langley, how'd u entertain yourself last year?
langleyskier
September 21, 2005
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
My dad bro and i went and hit some balls at the driving range, went swimming, went to their ski patrol ski swap (great deals!!) and dreamed of skiing the run behing the condo we rented that had 1000' vert and a nice slope to it! It was alot of fun even w/o snow but some early season skiing would make it much more fun! Pray for a pre-thanksgiving storm/cold snap!!!!!!
Also, tow years ago i stayed at a neighbor's house in wisp for the same weekend and it snowed 8 inches the day after thanksgiving and the temp never got over 22! I ended up skiing their green that was open ($5 for a lift ticket since only that one run was open) for an hr or two and that was alot of fun. But the sleeding on the side yard of the house we were staying at was definately the highlight of that weekend!
tromano
September 21, 2005
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
If you want to ski on turkeyday on the east coast I suggest Kmart. They usually have the best early season conditions in the east. Strangely they dont have any turkey day specials on their site but here is one that I have found.
Linky
RobertW
September 21, 2005
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
199 posts
I can remember a few "day after Thanksgiving" trips. The most recent (and the one I have proof of), November 29, 2002 at 7 Springs. They had North Face slope and all the front face open after a few days of intense snowmaking.

Picture taken about half way down North Face:
http://www.leacar.com/11292002_7sp.jpg
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
September 21, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
I have family in Massachusetts and for the last few years we have done "dawn patrol" at Wachusett on Thanksgiving morning; skin up at 7:00 take a run or two and then go back to my bro & sister in law's and gorge myself without guilt.
vesty
September 25, 2005
Member since 02/28/2004 🔗
48 posts
I skiied with my family last Thanksgiving (2004) at Hunter and Windham in New York. It was worth the trip.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?