Hurricanes and Global Warming
29 posts
14 users
3k+ views
jb714
September 20, 2005
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
I found the article linked to below (no registration required) via the AccuWeather site. Basically the article punches holes in the theory that the recent hurricane-intensive years are attributable to Global Warming.

Considering that some of the recent active hurricane seasons have been followed by snowier-than-normal winters, perhaps we could have a few decades of snowy winters on tap?

In any case the article is an interesting read:

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/09/13/Worldandnation/Storm_frenzy_is_not_a.shtml
queenoftheslopes
September 20, 2005
Member since 11/15/2004 🔗
143 posts
Most of the research I have read points to more extreme storms as opposed to more active hurricane seasons as the real issue with global warming. (i.e more catagory 4-5 hurricanes.)
Roger Z
September 20, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Favorite ski runs and global warming: these are definitely two annual themes in the Fall on this board. This year, I'm recusing myself from discussions on global weather. Think I've already mouthed off enough for one or two seasons (years? decades?).
fishnski
September 20, 2005
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
I got you beat Roger! I am the mouth that moved south! Hurricanes are just a way that mother nature balances the temps on this earth.The way they mix the atmosphere,sending warm air north & leaving a trail of cooler water & air in its wake.Check out the sea surface temps after a hurricane & you will clearly see the path it took.The earth must be trying to cool itself off with all the hurricanes,& it will & life will go on.Lets hope for another great year in the highlands...Think Blizzards!
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Roger Z
September 20, 2005
2,181 posts
Maybe you and I should conspire to fill this page with about 70 posts before anyone gets a word in edgewise, Andy.

Speaking of global warming... where the heck has fall gone??? It was in the 40s two weeks ago for overnight lows here in B-burg, 50s last week, and this week I'm tempted to turn the A-C back on. It was muggy and our lows are flirting with 60. At the rate we're going, we're gonna be at 100 by Oct 1.

And why isn't it raining??? And why is the air hazy? And why have so many people been driving their cars along the dirt road connecting my apartment complex to school? And why doesn't Sam Adams Octoberfest taste as good in a bottle as it does on tap? It's a conspiracy, I tell you...
tromano
September 20, 2005
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
I think the scientists should stop futzing with the thermometer and work on some really important research! I had an idea reading through the MSM project that what we could relaly use is brew snow. There is noble prize in it for the first egg head to figgure out how to make beer into snow. Eh? Eh!!!

And I know of aat least one resort that will line up to purchase a fleet of as yet to be designed "brew gunz"!
You could make million doallrs for that invention@@@#!!!! And besides all that the y should do it for the species! I mean we need answers to the age old questions that man has asked since he beging of time when the first cave man picked a hop an threw it in a vat of rotten barley, such as:

How many kegs would it take to cover lower wildcat? Or for startes... how much volume of snow does one keg produce?
Do beer flakes get skunky or go flat?
Does a typical run off collection and recycling system work or do we need to spike the mixture to maintain alcohol content?
queenoftheslopes
September 20, 2005
Member since 11/15/2004 🔗
143 posts
Please excuse this, tromano was unsupervised and broke into the liquer cabinet.

sorry for this nterupption of this thread.

Please procede with global warming talk.
vtskifreak
September 21, 2005
Member since 07/20/2005 🔗
8 posts
Quote:

I the article punches holes in the theory that the recent hurricane-intensive years are attributable to Global Warming.

Yes, there is no evidence of Global Warming... It's all a well financed communist plot, as we know it, organized by Move-on.org and the environmental lobby to take cars away from the American people and make us all dependent on European-built mass transit and thereby create the New World Order... We can all certainly agree on that....?

I am sure then we can all agree that the earth is flat, since in the Bible (Psalm 24:2, Daniel 4:7-8, Genesis 11:4, God tells us that the earth is flat, and in Psalm 104, we have scientific evidence that there is a dome above the flat earth covered with water and whenever Adonai wants it to rain, he opens up the dome and....

OY Vay!!!! How mant Cat 5 hurricanes over a Gulf of Mexico with 90-degree superheated water will it take to have us face reality?
jimmy
September 21, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING!!!! Read the article again vtskifreak. A natural cycle in ocean temperature = Global Warming? 3 oz. of R-12 (cfc) leaks out of your refrigerator = a hole in the ozone layer? What's next, flatulence causes cancer? You think we should have signed the Kyoto Treaty even though none of the grossest polluters on the planet will? Yup, then we can send summore jobs overseas. CFC's banned, did you know that they were invented in the 1940's we must have produced a billion tons of the stuff since; if they were all gathered up and released at once, that release would amount to 1 ONE MILLIONTH of the ozone depleting agents released into the atmosphere by the mount st helen's erruption.

I do believe that we should take what we need and be good Stewards; i just get a bit , when someone proposes that all of the bad things happening with mother earth are our fault, that man is the highest power. When u talk to God or Krishna or whomever tonight, please appologize for me for not getting it. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

vtskifreak, I am curious where's your favorite place to ski up there in VT?

Queenoftheslopes, Did Tim find out where you hid the key or did you forget to lock the cabinet again?
jb714
September 21, 2005
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
VtSkiFreak, the article did not remotely question the existence or non-existence of Global Warming - it simply pointed out that sea water temps have a natural up and down cycle.

I posted the link to the article simply becuase I found it an interesting read, and I thought others might as well.I was not trying to make any political points one way or the other.
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
September 21, 2005
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
Jimmy-imagine that you took 100's of millions of years of stored solar energy (oil, natural gas, coal) and burned 60-70% of it over a period of say 70-80 years and released the by products to the atmosphere. Now, would you say common sense (an basic physics) would suggest to you this drastic release of gas by products by buring 100's of millions of years of fossil fuels might have some effect on our atmosphere and possbly our climate? Now I am not suggesting I know what effect it may have. There have been billions of dollars spent researching the subjest by folks who know a hell of lot more than we do. So I'll trust that they at least have an informed opinion on the subject. Denying that it exists for economic reason does't mean that it doesn't exist. I guess we can just bury our little heads in the sand (or snow in our case) and say "hooey".
vtskifreak
September 21, 2005
Member since 07/20/2005 🔗
8 posts
I was trying to be amusing... please...

But still the fact is that the earth is getting warmer, and even if Mt St Helens discharges gobs of ozone into the atmosphere, we're compounding the problem if we don't do anything or worse, keep on buying SUVs. I have a Subaru by the way.

Kyoto was a bad treaty and both US parties wanted it dead even when they were fighting among each other. That's politics. Kyoto was a bad treaty because only the developed world is supposed to lower emissions. India, China, Brazil and Mexico, and the other developing countries, were exempt.

We need to go back to the drawing table and make a worldwide treaty. Sounds idealistic but it has to happen. Take the train to CV and Liberty

By the way I grew up in Underhill and we used to have our own ski bowl that went defunct in the early 80's My favorite is of course, MRG (still have coop shares). Second choice Stowe - it's a life style. Kton rocked when I was in college, and Stratton is always good but My God what an attitude...
comprex
September 21, 2005
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
How many of you heard today's Diane Rehm show?
JohnL
September 21, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

My favorite is of course, MRG (still have coop shares). Second choice Stowe - it's a life style. Kton rocked when I was in college, and Stratton is always good but My God what an attitude...

You may be the only MRG shareholder who thinks that Stratton is good. Just don't mention that in the lift line, the liftie may not let you on the single chair.

But it's all better than a day at the office.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
September 21, 2005
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
John L, I also like both MRG and Stratton. I guess I like both my granola AND my Perrier... Seriously, both areas offer some awesome skiing in their own right, and variety is the spice of life...

But you're totally correct... I'd never wear my totally-matching Spyder outfit to MRG...
tromano
September 21, 2005
998 posts
Quote:

Please excuse this, tromano was unsupervised and broke into the liquer cabinet.

sorry for this nterupption of this thread.

Please procede with global warming talk.

To quote our drunken tzar, "don't misunderestmate me!" And I will have you know the booze in our aparetment is kept in a book cae not a cabinet! And no I hadn't been drinking... much! But what about the children? We need a beer snow machine now or else future generations will continue to go to college to get plastered instead of becoming ski bums!!! Its for the good of the sport! Global... warming ... isn't... not the real danger!
jimmy
September 22, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Thanks snowsmith, Your explaination of the physics puts the magnitude of the situtation in perspective; You & I will stick our heads in the snow soon enuf. I don't know if "they" can agree on the effects either.
jb714
September 22, 2005
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
Speaking of beer snow machines, I saw a blurb in yesterday's Washington Post Express about a brewery in Tirol that is offering a 'beer bath' - sort of a hot tub with beer.

Perhaps we've reached the point where we should petition Scott for a Forum area dedicated specifically to beer/alcohol?
jimmy
September 22, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
jb, this snow beer, is it like eisbock? should be pretty strong come spring....

Quote:

Perhaps we've reached the point where we should petition Scott for a Forum area dedicated specifically to beer/alcohol?

I not sure that's such a good idea.?.?.......the beer worshipers might never visit any other forums ....scott would have to change the website name to DCBeer.com......jb do you have a favorite autumn beer?.......what's beer got to do wit hurricanes? Whenever a hurricane is imminent, you've got to have an evacuation plan. Only been involved in one, we waited out Hugo in OBX NC. Ended up making land fall in SC...anyway, we packed & fueled up the cars, fired up the weather channel, ready to leave on a moments notice. All good plans need a "trigger", an event that causes the plan to b implemented. The wives were most concerned about that. after much discussion, it was agreed that if the power went off or we ran out of beer , we'd evacuate. we then decided that two triggering events might be confusing, so we went to brewthru and got more beer!
jb714
September 22, 2005
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
Jimmy:

That's quite a story about the OBX....but getting more beer is always a good idea....

My beer of choice recently seems to be Grolsch, although I consider that to more of a Summer beer as opposed to Autumn....if it ever starts to cool off I'll probably migrate back to Bass Ale....part of the inevitable return to Guinness when the snow finally flies.

If we can talk Scott into a Beer-specific Forum thread, do we have to ID folks as they come through the door?
Roger Z
September 22, 2005
2,181 posts
I think this is the first time I've ever seen a global warming discussion move to beer. But hey, let's face it: beer is the solution for all your climatological needs. Ice age coming on? Pull out a thick, dark Guinness and watch it snow! Global warming? God bless Mexico and pass the Corona.

As Homer Simpson says: Beer, the cause of- and answer to- all of life's problems.

While we're off subject, how about that Moonshine Mountain?...
Murphy
September 22, 2005
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Code:
 I think this is the first time I've ever seen a global warming discussion move to beer.  

A discussion on your favorite ski run turning into a discussion on alcohol, that's easy to see. But global warming to beer...that takes some imagination.
jimmy
September 22, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
I'm sorry Murphy, but Tromano started it . Actually he's maybe onto something.....lots of questions i'd like to know the answers to...........u bin cloud skiing lately?

Quote:

I think the scientists should stop futzing with the thermometer and work on some really important research! I had an idea reading through the MSM project that what we could relaly use is brew snow. There is noble prize in it for the first egg head to figgure out how to make beer into snow. Eh? Eh!!!

And I know of aat least one resort that will line up to purchase a fleet of as yet to be designed "brew gunz"!
You could make million doallrs for that [Email]invention@@@#!!!![/Email] And besides all that the y should do it for the species! I mean we need answers to the age old questions that man has asked since he beging of time when the first cave man picked a hop an threw it in a vat of rotten barley, such as:

How many kegs would it take to cover lower wildcat? Or for startes... how much volume of snow does one keg produce?
Do beer flakes get skunky or go flat?
Does a typical run off collection and recycling system work or do we need to spike the mixture to maintain alcohol content?

tromano
September 22, 2005
998 posts
Quote:

I'm sorry Murphy, but Tromano started it . Actually he's maybe onto something.....lots of questions i'd like to know the answers to...........u bin cloud skiing lately?

LOL. I am just giving the people what they want. Besides the title was misleaingI mean huricane was right in the title. Thats the fruity drink the have in New Orleans no? :P
fishnski
September 22, 2005
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
The OBX are a great place but with this global warming thing going on, we down here in the Southern banks of NC will be swimming thru oct! + we got the Bahama light thing going on down here...clear water & white sand....Flounder basket at the Oceanic pier Wrightsville beach ...$7.99 Dozen crabs...$6.99 a dozen....Eat Your Heart Out!!!!
Roy
September 23, 2005
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
Beer = Flatulence = Global Warming

We're all just another form of cow.
Kris
September 23, 2005
Member since 03/15/2005 🔗
248 posts
Hurricane?

Thats the big bottle of malt liquor...They have it here in WV too...I think its like a dollar for a 40...Terrible Terrible drink...Tastes about like Smirnoff Ice, BUD, Bud Light, MGD, Jack Daniels Hard Cola, Bacardi Silver, Nattie Light, and Yengling mixed together...lol...But hey...its a cheap drunk while in college...
Murphy
September 23, 2005
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Quote:

Don't worry about it. Beer if very important. A wise man once shared a story about beer with me and I'd like to share it with you:

Quote:

A professor stood before his Philosophy 101 class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full? They agreed that it was.

So the professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles, of course, rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He then asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with a unanimous - - YES.

The professor then produced two cans of beer from under the table and proceeded to pour the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students began to laugh.

"Now," said the professor, as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things - - your family, your partner, your health, your children, your friends, your favorite passions - - things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full."

"The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house, your car. The sand is everything else - - the small stuff."

"If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for your life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your partner out dancing. Play another 18. There will always be time for me to go to work, clean the house, give a dinner party and fix the disposal."

"Take care of the golf balls first - - the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand." One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the beer represented. The professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of beers!"

Sorry, hadn't been cloud skiing recently. Too much sand in my life recently. But I have had a few beers...
Roger Z
September 23, 2005
2,181 posts
We never studied that in my philosophy classes.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.