Laurel Mountain Article
26 posts
13 users
3k+ views
hockeydave
September 19, 2005
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
From today's Tribune Democrat (Johnstown, PA)

JENNERSTOWN -
Just two months before snow returns to the ridges, Laurel Mountain once again is mired in uncertainty.

Seven Springs has not decided whether it will continue operating the troubled resort after a one-year trial plagued by an unusually tepid winter, state officials said.

"We have not had confirmation that Seven Springs will be returning, but we have not heard word that they will not," said Terry Brady, a spokesman for the state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources.

"The approach here is no news is good news."

Last year, Seven Springs, the largest ski resort in Pennsylvania, rescued Laurel Mountain, which is located off Route 30 between Jennerstown and Ligonier.

Seven Springs struck a deal with Somerset Trust Co., which had acquired the ski area through foreclosure. That action came after the state, which owns the land where the resort is located, terminated its lease with Pittsburgh businessman George Mowl, Laurel Mountain's previous operator.

No decision has been reached on whether Seven Springs will return for another season, said Scott Bender, the resort's president and chief operating officer.

"We are still evaluating the options for the upcoming ski season," he said.

Mowl, who still owns the neighboring Laurel Mountain Village housing development, speculated the resort will not open.

"I tried myself to get a ski pass, and Seven Springs said it's good for both places. When I said I just wanted Laurel Mountain, they said again it's good for both places. That's a non answer," Mowl said.

"I'd say it's probably not going to open. Any work or any improvements you want to do, the summer's when you want to do it. That's one of the things that had me wondering. There's nothing going on up there."

Somerset Trust President Henry Cook declined comment, citing the confidentiality of ongoing negotiations.

Mowl, who operated Laurel Mountain since 1998, had suffered through years of lukewarm winters, declining attendance and mounting debt. Laurel Mountain did not open its slopes two years ago.

After a whirlwind of repairs, Seven Springs opened Laurel Mountain in late December. It offered skiing, snowboarding and snow tubing, along with food and beverage outlets, a full-service equipment rental shop, a small clothing retailer and a ski and snowboard school.

But a month later, when skiing should have reached its peak, warm weather and persistent rain forced Laurel Mountain to close temporarily while Seven Springs and Hidden Valley dramatically reduced skiing.

HockeyDave's take... everything that I have heard so far is reflected in the above article in that 7S most likely will not operate LM anymore (see 7 Springs for sale thread in local resort discussions), however, what is not mentioned is that Somerset Trust is supposedly in negotiations with some other party... LM might be on life support but as long as the beautiful inverted lodge is not put up for sale as firewood by Somerset Trust and the snowmaking and grooming equipment is not auctioned off, there is still hope for the "Classic".
LMV
September 19, 2005
Member since 06/1/2005 🔗
60 posts
I think it's time for us to get over "the springs at laurel mountain". It's not like they did much for the mountain.
The only good piece of information that came out of the is:
Quote:

Somerset Trust President Henry Cook declined comment, citing the confidentiality of ongoing negotiations.

Do you really think they are still negotating with seven springs? I really don't understand why they would even bother talking to George. As far as I know he hasn't even been on the mountain in close to a year. This is the same George that defaulted on his loans and had his lease revoked by the state. I know George, and I wouldn't believe anything he tells you. The important thing is that the bank is still in negotiating with someone. The last little nugget of imformation I heard was the best one yet. I even heard who the possible new owner would be. Someone you would never expect. I don't really want to say any more. Just be paitent...
I think everyone will be pleasently suprised.
JohnL
September 19, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

I think it's time for us to get over "the springs at laurel mountain". It's not like they did much for the mountain.

Well, operating Laurel Mountain for even one ski season is good enough for me.
hockeydave
September 19, 2005
780 posts
I agree with JohnL that at least 7S did open LM for 1 season...thanks 7S... it was nice, but if someone who is sincere and has the cash to upgrade LM and turn it in to a top notch, family oriented ski resort, then 7S, don't let the proverbial door hit you in the @#$ !!!

LMV... you've got the LM diehard in me very curious... can you at least drop this propective person's initials as a little teaser???
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
September 19, 2005
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
I think we can rule out Jim Kettler. How about Ben Rothensbergerwhathisname?
LMV
September 19, 2005
Member since 06/1/2005 🔗
60 posts
If I knew for sure I would, but I don't. I hope it's not just another of the laurel mountain rumors. If it's true it's someone you wouldn't guess in a million years.
wolverine
September 19, 2005
Member since 08/26/2005 🔗
113 posts
Why is it that people create their own rumors that are merely wishful thinking. Kiss LM goodbye
JCHobbes
September 19, 2005
Member since 09/12/2005 🔗
94 posts
LMV, we love rumors here...

Even if it's just something you heard and you're not sure, I think everyone would like to hear what you have to say. I think everyone enjoys speculating on a rumor.
jb714
September 19, 2005
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
Quote:

I even heard who the possible new owner would be. Someone you would never expect.

Joe Hardy?
Taylormatt
September 19, 2005
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
Quote:

Quote:

I even heard who the possible new owner would be. Someone you would never expect.

Joe Hardy?

Hardy has no interest in HV, 7S or LM, his plate is full with other things.
Heather
September 19, 2005
Member since 02/24/2005 🔗
170 posts
LMV I agree that maybe you should keep your keyboard quiet for a little while longer. If you heard the same thing I heard maybe waiting a few more days would be a great thing! And as far as 7S goes...and I take the liberty of speaking for the true die hard LMers... I appreciate everything they tried to accomplish last year. It was rather unfortunate that lowsy weather all but put the nail in the casket lid for LM in the eyes of the controllers of the loot. Had we had a cold and snowy winter, maybe we could all be speculating on who is interested in purchasing HV instead. According to local news, there are 5 interested parties and that piece of news could mean great or terrible things for the future of LM.

At the most recent Home owners meeting, which I did not attend, there was disscussion of a new developer interested in LM Village,who was willing to upgrade H2O system and put money into road maint. and upgrades. Could this be the same inerested patry for LM. There is no real money in skiing, only in real estate surrounding the resort.

***THINK LAUREL***
shearer519
September 19, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
149 posts
Well I am going to throw my hat in the ring for a potential guess of who it might be. When my family first got our place close to Seven Springs the big rumor was Disney was going to buy the resort and turn it into a winter wonder land. So I am think the potential buyer has to be Disney. I can see it now; the mono rail will go from the village to the main lodge where you will be greeted by Mickey and the gang. They will install a gondola with cars made to look like tea cups. At the bottoms of the lifts there will be fast pass so you can come back at a designated time and skip the lift lines. On top of the mountain will be Skitown USA designed to resemble what a real ski town would look like right down to the overpriced goods. Finally for a thrill ride they will install a new type of ski lift. This lift will go from 0-60 in 5 seconds and get you to the top in only 15 secs.
Roger Z
September 19, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Disney is a perennial rumor. They have been floated as a lurker at a number of resorts up north too.

I'm going with Warren Buffett.
queenoftheslopes
September 19, 2005
Member since 11/15/2004 🔗
143 posts
If we are really throwing out guesses, I say Michael Jackson. No one would ever expect it, and I heard he is looking for a place to escape for awhile.

I can picture the Neverland-type resort now.
\\
JCHobbes
September 20, 2005
Member since 09/12/2005 🔗
94 posts
Just my completely unrealistic guess:

Westmoreland County Department of Parks & Recreation. That area of the county really is devoid of any county parks, even though it has like a million different state parks.

Another strange thought, what if the Rolling Rock Club bought it and turned it into their own private resort. That is how Laurel Mountain started isn't it?
hockeydave
September 21, 2005
780 posts
W.R.T. the following quote about a prospective operator of LM, you stated to LMV...

Quote:

I agree that maybe you should keep your keyboard quiet for a little while longer. If you heard the same thing I heard maybe waiting a few more days would be a great thing!

OK Heather (& LMV), it's been a few days since this quote. Is your keyboard still quiet? How about just a little crumb (initials of the person(s) or company would be fine)? The 2 of you have piqued my curiousity!!!
wolverine
September 21, 2005
Member since 08/26/2005 🔗
113 posts
Please stop these "a big announcement is coming soon..." about LM, HV, 7S if you really have no clue when and what info (if any) is really coming.
hockeydave
September 21, 2005
780 posts
Because of my contacts with people in the know, I was the first person to start a discussion last year on this forum, even prior to the official announcement, that 7S would run LM for ski season '04-05'.

If there is any rule on this message board that says myself or others can't discuss items we've heard from people who have close contact with the operations of 7S, HV, or LM, please cite them or have Scott instruct us to stop. Otherwise, here's a simple suggestion for you, Wolverine... don't read any of the threads pertaining to LM, HV, or 7S.

Following is a quote of yours from a previous post, seeming like you might be wishing for the closure of Laurel Mountain.
Quote:

Seems LM is at the end of its world as we know it and I feel fine about it.

Any reason or was it in jest ??? There happens to be many people who would love to see that place succeed. If it closes for good, just remember, even longer lift lines @ 7S on weekends, higher lift ticket prices and season pass prices await.
SeaRide
September 21, 2005
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
Copy and paste from the other thread.
Quote:

Hi folks,

I had to edit out a couple of the posts in this thread, and wanted to explain why. I encourage open discussion on the DCSki Forums and hate to delete posts, but there are some situations where I must step in. Anytime a specific individual is named and criticized openly, that raises the risk of slander and I can't allow that. Please feel free to offer constructive criticism about area resorts when appropriate, but avoid calling out specific individuals.

A few posts in this thread began to move in this direction (although they otherwise had good content in them), so I had to remove them. This is never an easy decision because the posts are often borderline, but I err on the side of caution. To the posters -- please do not be offended by this; hopefully my rationale above makes sense, but if you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks,

- Scott

hockeydave
September 21, 2005
780 posts
Please provide a reference specifically to any place in this thread or others where I have slandered anybody or have had Scott delete any of my posts. I'm not sure what you're getting at with copying the above quote into this thread ???? That quote was from a prior thread that I started where he deleted posts from users other than I. I have always added constructively to this forum and have never engaged in slander. Apology accepted.
SeaRide
September 21, 2005
237 posts
Quote:

.....There happens to be many people who would love to see that place succeed. If it closes for good, just remember, even longer lift lines @ 7S on weekends, higher lift ticket prices and season pass prices await.

There ALSO happens to be many people who don't give a damn whether that place succeed or not. Many ski areas have come and gone. Click here Lost ski areas

If many people are out there that would love to see LM to succeed, surely it can happen.
JohnL
September 21, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

There ALSO happens to be many people who don't give a damn whether that place succeed or not.

Then those people should choose to ignore any threads on the status of Laurel Mountain. They'll save on wear and tear of their keyboards and conserve Internet bandwith. Pretty simple solution.
hockeydave
September 21, 2005
780 posts
BTW... no offense was intended to Wolverine (and no mention of any real, specific name was made)... some of us just like bantering about what might happen, and what we would like to happen @ LM.
hockeydave
September 21, 2005
780 posts
Thanks, JohnL, for reading my mind...
SeaRide
September 21, 2005
237 posts
Quote:

Then those people should choose to ignore any threads on the status of Laurel Mountain. They'll save on wear and tear of their keyboards and conserve Internet bandwith. Pretty simple solution.

And those people may choose to read any threads on the status of Laurel Mountain. They'll will not save on wear and tear of their keyboards and not conserve internet bandwidth.
hockeydave
September 22, 2005
780 posts
Quote:

Please stop these "a big announcement is coming soon..." about LM, HV, 7S if you really have no clue when and what info (if any) is really coming.

Please see taylormatt post in "7 Springs for sale?" thread in Local resort discussion... my within 2 weeks announcement is for not, but something's going on.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?