Resorts lost, pinheads, good eats
9 posts
6 users
1k+ views
jimmy
September 15, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Just got my October issue of ski magazine. Pretty neat, Ogden Nutting, guy who lives down the road from me is featured in the Editors column, seems he's skied 475 different ski areas in NA & SA. Ski didn't mention that Ogden is from Wheeling or that he was instrumental in establishing a ski area at Oglebay Park, not once but twice.

That was nice to read, but Ski Magazine lost Western Resorts 23 thru 30 and Eastern Resorts 1 thru 8. Seems that where they were supposed to be got replaced by inserts for heavenly and whistler. I guess Snowshoe was in the top 8 bcause i didn't see them in the last 12. Did anyone else get a Resorts Lost issue or was it just a regional thing?
jimmy
September 16, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Sorry to leave you......ever notice how when u have something really important going on, work intrudes? (Pretty bad he's replying to himself). Work's pretty much all that keeps bums like us from 100 day seasons.

Located a copy of ski magazine that seemed to have all the pages, snowshoe wasn't in that one either?

So anyhow.....i've bin curious about learning telemark, i need to know what's a pinhead? Is it ok for an alpine skier like me to use the term? Who would i b refering to? Are all free heelers pinheads, or just tele or just nordic? Could someone like me ever b one?

What's the best meal you've had within 20 minutes of which ski area in the last 12 months? kwillg6i'll put u down for barbeeque ribs at timber pub, ya?
jimmy
September 16, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Sorry to leave you......ever notice how when u have something really important going on, work intrudes? (Pretty bad he's replying to himself). Work's pretty much all that keeps bums like me from 100 day seasons.

Located a copy of ski magazine that seemed to have all the pages, snowshoe wasn't in that one either?

So anyhow.....i've bin curious about learning telemark, i need to know what's a pinhead? Is it ok for an alpine skier like me to use the term? Who would i b refering to? Are all free heelers pinheads, or just tele or just nordic? Could someone like me ever b one?

What's the best meal you've had within 20 minutes of which ski area in the last 12 months? kwillg6i'll put u down for barbeeque ribs at timber pub, ya?
kwillg6
September 16, 2005
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Ya, Jimmy. Ribs and cold drafts in Timbers this winter! I do have to say, they have really made an effort to get a REAL restaurant going rather than deal with cafeteria gruel. Gotta do the Whitegrass Cafe sometime. Lauri does it right over there, but you gotta have reservations during high season.
Swimmer
September 16, 2005
Member since 02/3/2005 🔗
143 posts
Pinhead is a term to endear 3 pin binding users. Plastic duckbill telemark boots have three pin holes at the front, designed to seat over, and hang onto, 3 pins of the binding. This style of binding is popular for it's super lightweight and least resistance to touring. You may be more familiar with cable bindings of telemark skis. If you use a cable binding, a pin set up is not needed. Very few (I know of only one off the top of my head) companies sell a binding that uses pins and cables in the same set up.

The disadvantage of pin bindings is that they are not as rugged or stiff as a cable binding, so the user cannot "crank" their turns nearly as aggressive. It's fine for mellower terrain, but once things start to get steep and deep, most (not all) tele skiers prefer a cable binding of some sort for the downhill.

The term pinhead isn't really something I use towards other tele skiers that I don't know, but I can't see people really getting their crank out of alingment if they are addressed as such. But then everyone is different.

Steve
jimmy
September 18, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Thanks Steve, Maybe it was the fascination of a child with forbidden words....i thought the term might be gear related but wasn't sure.......it's just, when i'm on the slopes and see someone dropping knee making sweet turns, .."hey P, look at that telemark skier making turns" is so much harder to say than, "P, look at that pinhead rippin it up . I saw the term "teller" used here recently, I think that's the better one for me.

As for good eats, we went to Muttley's in Downtown Davis "too small, too crowded, too smoky, too bad!" a couple of weeks back for dinner and darts. Had the grilled duck...mmmmmm. Half a bird, deboned and nicely trimmed, skin still on it but not greasy at all. Ever notice how food always tastes better in the Mountains?
RodSmith
September 19, 2005
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
You can say pinner. I just say telemarker and point. I would say skier but usually I want to make sure the person I'm talking to knows it's a freeheeler.

There's good food at White Grass, the nordic ski center between Timberline and Canaan. I think you can ski there from the top of Canaan and maybe Timberline also?
POWPOW
September 19, 2005
Member since 05/10/2005 🔗
124 posts
most newish school tele skiers refer to what they do as freeheel skiing.
Heather
September 19, 2005
Member since 02/24/2005 🔗
170 posts
Food is probably my second or possibly third favorite thing to discuss! If you are ever on Rt 30 Near LM, you MUST try WALAT's. It is a local bar right near the main turn off to LM with a bright yellow sign. They have the greatest burgers, ham sandwich(massive), and bar food that you can imagine. Service is not always the best, but who can complain when you get about half a pig on a bun for around $4. Beer is always cold and in the summer you can always find someone to ride your motorcycle with, in the winter the place is filled with skiers and snowmobile riders. ALWAYS A GOOD TIME!!!!!

***THINK LAUREL***

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.