Evidence autumn is here early.
9 posts
7 users
1k+ views
bawalker
September 13, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I *HAD* to get pictures of this for everyone on here. I remember distinctly last autumn when I was taking pictures of the Corridor H bridges on the second and third weeks of September. I was looking hard for changing leaves then, but now I'm seeing them everywhere here around Wardensville. Our elevation is at 1000' and the leaf changing has been going on since the last week of August when the walnut tree's in the yard had started dropping leaves.

Could this be due to some dry weather or early fall, or what? Either way, enjoy the pictures that fall IS here!!

Just a matter of a few cold snaps, turkey eating, and pumping carving and we are on the slopes!!

http://community.webshots.com/album/450623506vBNMZq
rmcva
September 13, 2005
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts
Thanks for the pics. Lets hope its early and for a good winter.
Roger Z
September 14, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
I think the trees are stressed from the lack of rain over the last few weeks. Most of what you see turning in those photos are the early movers- small trees, sicker ones, etc. The leaves are changing here in B-burg, too, a little- but it's the same type of trees that are changing. It's no guarantee that the healthy, mature trees are going to change any earlier or later than usual.
RyanC
September 14, 2005
Member since 11/28/2003 🔗
160 posts
Wow, I didn't notice any changing colors two weeks ago in Canaan.

Nice house and property you have. Just the house on an acre or so here in central/northern Balt. Co. would easily be $500k.
bawalker
September 14, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Actually Roger, I decided to double check today and on our property here there are two huge oak treets (red oak and black oak) that are changing to their normal rustic brown colors. They may be a bit more slower than say the smaller saplings, but the change is very noticeable none the less. The maples are also turning to their pastel yellows as well. Nost just one leaf or two, but lots of leaves are starting the subtle change. I was in Winchester (which is around 500-600' elevation if memory serves me correctly) and their tree's haven't changed a lick yet.

I'm thinking this may be the real deal, even if it is provoked by dry weather.
Kris
September 15, 2005
Member since 03/15/2005 🔗
248 posts
I live around 1800'-2000' and our trees have already started too...I have already had to rake the yard under the maple tree...Oak trees are a bit slower but like you said, you can definately tell...

If anyone is interested, there is a senic train ride (The Tygart Flyer)that starts out in Belington (Around Elkins) and takes you up the cheat river to the "High Falls" of the cheat...Beautiful train ride in the fall...
Here is the main page.. Train Main Page
Here is the page of the Tygart Flyer..Actual Train Page
Murphy
September 15, 2005
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Quote:

I think the trees are stressed from the lack of rain over the last few weeks. Most of what you see turning in those photos are the early movers- small trees, sicker ones, etc. The leaves are changing here in B-burg, too, a little- but it's the same type of trees that are changing. It's no guarantee that the healthy, mature trees are going to change any earlier or later than usual.

I was up at the City golf course in Blacksburg and I could see the trees on the mountains east of town towards Catawba had significant color change. It may well be do to dryness but I wouldn't say it was limited to just weak trees. The mountain looked striped with large verticle bands of trees that were changings.
bawalker
September 15, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Since I took those pictures the other day, I noticed what seemed to be more leaves falling. I took a stroll through the front yard today and there is significant oak leaves already on the ground. I think the dryness is speeding up the transision from green to fall color to remaining on the trees for a significant amount of time, to finally coming off in late October. It appears that they are doing a straight transition and almost instant fall off.

I just wonder... if this isn't a sign of whats to come?

(Hey I'm thinking positive here of 300" and two months of 35 or lower daily temps in canaan.)
jb714
September 15, 2005
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
Bawalker: I've noticed similar things at my cottage (near 7 Springs, 2100' elevation) over the past few weeks.Around the last weekend of August I notised the maples were turning color; then, this past weekend I noticed the maples are dropping leaves at a fairly good rate, and the oaks are now starting to change color.The drought in Somerset County might very well have played a part in this - and I suppose the drought does not bode well for the water levels in the snowmaking ponds.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?