Vermont April 17-21?
5 posts
4 users
1k+ views
jiboo
March 12, 2003
Member since 02/12/2003 🔗
10 posts
Anyone know if anything up there will be open April 17-21st? I know Killington usually has a few trails into May but I was wondering if anyone has experience with Vermont this late in the season. Its a long drive to be disappointed.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 12, 2003
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
I skied at Killington during an April Easter break a long time ago and it wasn't bad, though very little off slope action was going on. It's got to be your best April bet in the East because they make such a concerted effort to not just stay open late in the season, but offer a decent variety of slopes too, on one ticket. BTW, I got an email from them saying this Friday, 3/14/03 they're offering $1 dollar lift tickets to all comers just to publicize how good the spring skiing/boarding is.
This year could be so good that you might be able to hit a couple of additional areas if you have your car with you. Sugarbush is only about an hour north of Killington and Mt. Snow is about an hour south. Both are also possible good April bets with the kind of season Vermont's had this year.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 12, 2003
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
Of course a lot could happen between now and April 17. A big meltdown could spoil the best plans. Keep tracking conditions on the websites of areas that interest you.
Otto
March 13, 2003
Member since 11/19/1999 🔗
176 posts
I skied Killington for a week in late April two or three years ago. Frankly, I am not sure they should have been open. Very little terrain was available, it was tough to get around the mountain and had I been paying instead of getting paid, I am not sure that I would have felt the investment was worthwhile.

That year was not a snow year like this one. However, bear in mind that all the things that make spring so depressing - sunshine, april showers, the cherry blossoms, etc. are all part of the relentless warming trend that leads to summer. Even in Vt. the mud eventually takes over.

Unless there are some deals you need to be locked into to save a buck, play it by ear. If you have rock skis and things hold up, you could go and have a blast.

(Anonymous)
March 13, 2003
I'll be in Stowe the weekend of April 12. I grew up in VT and in big dump years like this one, the resorts will stay open as long as there are skiers. Lack of snow or rain will not be a problem (it was 18 degrees in Montpelier yesterday). I would say that your big guys like Sugarbush, Stowe, Killington, Mt. Snow will stay open until at least the first weekend in May -Killington will probably try to stay open until June, they like to brag alot about their length of season.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.