Anticipation of the season
11 posts
10 users
1k+ views
kwillg6
September 8, 2005
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I've read everybody's plans of what they did or didn't do in the "non season." Now that the days are cooler, the air is crisp, and less than three months to kickoff, I am bored stiff with the green, growing things in my yard . My wife's flowers are finally beginning to "rest" which means they are turning brown, my color of choice before things are covered with beautiful white fluff . It would be interesting to know what others are doing in anticipation to their first turns of the season. The ski mags just don't cut it, and doing the UVA season tickets is a meaningful diversion as long as they win. Hitting the running/biking trail to get ready is required....not anything special. Any other suggestions? I am going NUTS
SeaRide
September 8, 2005
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
Well, I am bursting with excitement since I just bought a house on the hill last month. Longest part of the driveway is 120 feet straight down with adjacent uphill yard on both sides. I think I am getting used to walking uphill on my property after getting the mail daily or pushing lawnmower every week. Aside from paddling and hiking, I will try to find time to go biking or something to get me in shape for you-know-what.
Swimmer
September 8, 2005
Member since 02/3/2005 🔗
143 posts
I've broken out the mountain bike and started discovering trails around my suburban house. We bought a house in Germantown last fall with a walking path along the lake to Black Hills Park across the street from my door. I've been having a hoot exploring back in the woods and finding little loops I can burn an hour or so on. Being a dad with a weird work schedule, sometimes finding the time can be a challenge.

I'm not a very aggressive rider, nor can I pound the pedals hard from start to finish, but if anyone wants to do some trail riding around Germantown, drop me a note. Schaffer Farm can also be reached via a few miles of road riding. I also recommend the path from Lake Needwood into DC along Rock Creek. Nicely shaded, easy terrain, gets the heart rate up without beating you to death.

I work a strange work schedule and take care of my kid on the off days. Most riding I do is either weekend mornings or weekday afternoons after 5 pm or so.

Steve
firemt@yahoo.com
snowcone
September 8, 2005
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Black Hills is a really nice park with lots of nicely paved trails. Still there are a few dirt single tracks there that can be fun, especially after the wet stuff.

Don't forget to try the Seneca Creek Park single tracks .. there are a couple of gradients there that can really test you. You don't mention what type of bike you have; hybrid or mountain. Seneca is easier with a mountain bike but can be done with a decent hybrid with knobby tires.

Tips:
-- Park outside the entrance and ride in .. saves a few bucks. Plus if you ride in the evening and are late getting back you don't have to worry about your car being locked in the park. [happened to us!]
-- Take a GPS if you have one .. the trails are pretty well marked but it can be confusing and there is no trail map. There used to be a sort of trail map available but I haven't seen one in ages.

We live in Germantown a few blocks off the lake, so send me a private message and maybe we can do a few miles of an evening.
POWPOW
September 8, 2005
Member since 05/10/2005 🔗
124 posts
i have bought new skis
Bought my season pass
Practiced all summer on this
booked two trips here
and have a few of these
All in anticipation of another glorious winter.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
September 8, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
really great post. I really liked the key word at the end of each remark
The Colonel
jimmy
September 9, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
POWPOW you really have a way with words, the flow of your post gave me a good laff, enjoyed the really strong finish .

kwillg6, You've been given the gift of cloud skiing, what more could you ask? Seriously, the only difference i see between the first 1/2 (depression due to snow withdrawl) of the unseason and the second 1/2 (anticipation of snowfall) is my state of mind. I told Crush a while back that the the unseason is aka The Money Season, as in making money to spend chasing turns.......does that make ski season The Unmoney Season??.......Nah, it'll always just be The Season . Be brave, it'll be here b/4 u no it.....be brave, drinklookdrinklookdrinklook, cloud ski with someone u love to nite, no helmet .
JimK - DCSki Columnist
September 9, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
Great post powpow. Somewhere I have seen a set of "wood veneer" skis on the slopes. Very cool look.

For coping with "anticipation" I've started to watch old ski flicks. Also starting to get a trickle of ski related junk mail. I enjoy perusing new ski area brochures. Hanging out on this board stokes things too.
Murphy
September 9, 2005
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Quote:

i have bought new skis
Bought my season pass
Practiced all summer on this
booked two trips here
and have a few of these
All in anticipation of another glorious winter.

Mmmmm Dogfish beer. That's some good stuff.
kennedy
September 9, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Arbor snowboards make wod veneered decks, kinda cool. I'm going to try to ride every ounce of life out of my current board though, it's awesome.
kwillg6
September 9, 2005
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Murphy, where can we find Dogfish? I've heard raves about it but haven't see it in our northern piedmont stores.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?