what $5/ gallon gas will do for '05/'06 season
11 posts
9 users
2k+ views
myrto
September 1, 2005
Member since 10/4/2001 🔗
259 posts
If they can change their signs that fast I don't see why we can't.
So fuel costs go up it is not like driving is the only transportation affected. All costs will go up. So what are we gonna do. Stop skiing? oh, I forgot, that won't happen with global warming here to stay.
So we will hit the slopes a little lighter and who knows, we may just learn how to conserve again.

Now wouldn't that be a nice legacy for this administartion
Ha! maybe when Hell freezes over.
jimmy
September 1, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
That's funny. Way to drive a point home myrto. Couple of things could happpen.......bottom drops out of 2nd home market, buy a place cheap and move closer to the slopes....work weekends so u can ski 5 days during the week, ammortize the cost of fuel over five days instead of two crush, maybe you'd want to adopt me, i'm housebroken, fairly adept at eating with utensils, could walk to the slopes............
tgd
September 1, 2005
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
Expensive gas just adds to an already expensive hobby. A gas shortage is a whole other story! I don't think $5 gas will change my skiing much - except I may try to finagle more "telecomuting" time from our house in Canaan.
Mountain Masher
September 1, 2005
Member since 03/13/2004 🔗
541 posts
I think that EVEN $3 per gallon will hurt the skiing industry in the mid-Atlantic, particularly some of the more marginal ski areas and ski areas known for unreliable ski reports. For example, I think that some skiers are going to think twice about making the expensive drive to places like Blue Knob UNLESS they know that BK has just received a big snow dump. I think that the Canaan Valley ski areas, Snowshoe and 7-Springs will be the least affected because most skiers know that, if they spend the money to get to those places, the skiing is highly likely to be good. Plus, the snow reports at those ski areas tends to be farily accurate.
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
September 1, 2005
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
MM- I was wondering if you think that Blue Knob is the cause of the slow relief efforts in New Orleans.
Ullr
September 2, 2005
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Quote:

MM- I was wondering if you think that Blue Knob is the cause of the slow relief efforts in New Orleans.

Heck I bet he blames the Hurricane on BK too!!!!!!!!!!!!

POWPOW
September 2, 2005
Member since 05/10/2005 🔗
124 posts
Quote:

I dont know why he keeps mentioning them. If you hate them why give them any attention at all. Maybe water could be pumped from New Orleans to BK instead of building the ponds?
Roger Z
September 2, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
BK is also the cause for the high gas prices, too! And when you think it's just a shade too warm out to mow the lawn- Blue Knob's fault. Did your kid get a B on his or her report card? We all know why that happened ("B" is for BK!). I woke up with a crick in my neck the other day and the first thing I thought was- darnit, Blue Knob struck again!

It's amazing the amount of insipid evil that oozes off that ski resort.
bawalker
September 2, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
LOL That is just too classic.
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
September 2, 2005
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
Roger - that is hilarious! I'm in pain from laughing.
Mountain Masher
September 2, 2005
Member since 03/13/2004 🔗
541 posts
HA HA, very funny snowsmith. On a more serious note, the current snowmaking pond status at Blue Knob is as follows: According to a recent article in the Altoona Mirror, the new large pond will be ready by the start of the ski season. The combined water holding capacity of all 3 ponds (located near the summit of the mountain) is projected to be 15 million gallons. I was at the top of BK yesterday and observed the following: The small pond at the very top of BK (next to the maintenance building) was dry; however, a liner has been placed in it, which, to my knowledge, is the first time that a liner has been placed in a snowmaking pond at BK. The new large pond appeared to be completed, but there was not a significant amount of water in it.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?