T-Line trail maintenance
7 posts
4 users
jimmy
August 29, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
bawalker wrote:
"You know, speaking of trail maintenance, it's a wonder a ski resort wouldn't pick up on the hard core people like us, offer a program where if we were to show up and help clean trails, pick up rocks, cut small limbs that they'd give away a free lift ticket for every 2 days or so of volunteer work. That wouldn't cost them but a dozen or so lift tickets ($500+ peak season prices) but probably get them over $500 worth of work done on the trails. I know I would drive 2 hours to get a free lift ticket "

Let's assume that they were interested, to the point of putting a crew up in the boyscout lodge for two nights and providing breakfast & lunch, and maybe some discounted or free tickys.....

Who'd be interested,

What area of the mountain do you think we should concentrate on?

These questions are the product of an idle mind.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
August 29, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Quote:

bawalker wrote:
"You know, speaking of trail maintenance, it's a wonder a ski resort wouldn't pick up on the hard core people like us, offer a program where if we were to show up and help clean trails, pick up rocks, cut small limbs that they'd give away a free lift ticket for every 2 days or so of volunteer work. That wouldn't cost them but a dozen or so lift tickets ($500+ peak season prices) but probably get them over $500 worth of work done on the trails. I know I would drive 2 hours to get a free lift ticket "

Let's assume that they were interested, to the point of putting a crew up in the boyscout lodge for two nights and providing breakfast & lunch, and maybe some discounted or free tickys.....

Who'd be interested,

What area of the mountain do you think we should concentrate on?

These questions are the product of an idle mind.

Nice idea and I would love to volunteer. However, the resort needs to stop hosting dirt bike and ATV races before I devote precious time to trail maintenance. There's no way even the most dedicated volunteers can keep up with maintenance as long as the resort insists on destroying its trails twice a season with those races.
kwillg6
August 29, 2005
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
But, John, in retrospect, wouldn't you think that a group of us could clear some of the glade areas so those of us and others wouldn't be taking the risks of catching debris with out skiis when doing a litle off piste? I, for one would love to see cherry bowl open again like it used to be. It would take a dozen or so of us to clear the major debris from that area and do so in one or two days. We would mark the larger stumps so we don't get stumped and get to know the best lines for that section. Ten or so years ago, we used to go into the glades and compact the snow prior to a big dump of pow. The experience was much better with a little base under the skiis. Anyway, the motorbike/atv races are another issue. Doc and company should consider doing away with them for the very reason you state, but the lure of $$$$ is probably too great at this time.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
August 29, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Kim:

I have no problem with ATVs and dirtbikes. I just don't think that ski slopes are the best place for them to race, but like you said, the thought of cool hard cash during the offseason is quite alluring. I'm just sorry that the skiers and boarders then have to pay the bill in gouged edges during the snow season.

I have no idea how difficult it would be to clear parts of Cherry Glades. It would be nice to get rid of those stumps as well as rocks and underbrush. It might be possible to organize some kind of volunteer day via DCSki, the Ski Patrol, the Race Team, and the various HOAs on the mountain. Just a thought.
jimmy
August 29, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Guys, I don't believe that timberline charged anyone anything except for lift tickets and whatever they bought inside, the promoter agreed to put the mountain back the way they found it; maybe they did, maybe they didn't, i don't know about this one but it looks like they IMPROVED the track from the last one. I just happened to be there while this was going on, found it interesting.....wouldn't miss it if it was gone.

I'm just curious who thinks what about investing some time into clearing/cleaning up some terrain that only 10% of Tlines clientele would ever even think of skiing?????
JohnL
August 30, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Jimmy,

Your new tagline just confirms the fact that you are evil with a capital "L".
jimmy
August 30, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?