Timberline construction photos
12 posts
11 users
3k+ views
powderpig
August 27, 2005
Member since 12/5/2003 🔗
63 posts
I recently spent a day hiking in the Dolly Sods via the access above Timberline. After the hike we went to have a look at the new construction. Heres a few photos that I took of the trail work. The photos are relatively large so they may be slow on a dial up.

1) The trail intersection at the top of Dew Drop

2) Looking down from the very top of the new trail

3) Looking up from the same spot

4) Looking down at the first real bend in the trail, large waterbar in the foreground

5) A little further around the bend, nice view from this spot

6) Another shot of the bend, this one shows the left edge

7) Further around the bend shows one of two earth movers hard at work

8) Same shot but the earth mover is backing toward me

9) Access road below the construction area

10) The lower section of the new trail

11) Junction of the new trail and the access road

To my untrained eye it looks like Timberline is trying to do things in an environmentally friendly manner. They have begun to plant alot of grasses and there were alot of water bars in place to control run-off. They also have planted alot of grass in the areas where forest was removed to create construction access.

The trail itself seems to be pretty twisty with some nice views. Definitely not too steep but should be a fun cruiser when they get it open. I didn't see any evidence of snowmaking in the new area but it's early in the process. All in all it was very cool to see a new trail being built and a very enjoyable weekend in the Canaan area.

Cheers!
-Pig
jimmy
August 28, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Pow Pig, Thanks for the pictures and a great report. My untrained eye was also impressed w/the condition of the mountain. I'm pleasantly suprised that this trail will be a pretty nice cruiser. Pictures say it all though. See ya on the slopes SOON!
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
August 28, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Thanks for the pics. The top of the trail looks like fun, but the lower trail near the tunnel is pretty flat. I just hope snowboarders will be able to handle that section without walking.
SeaRide
August 29, 2005
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
Powderpig,
Great photojournalistic report.

Johnmfh,

Someday I will check it out. I am pretty sure that I will be able to snowboard on that section as long as I pole along using my telescopic trekking poles as I have done it before at Lake Tahoe. I don't know if I am the only snowboarder out there poling on the traverses but it works very well for me.

Check out the Timberline ski trail map . I recall there was a little tunnel before the new trail was being carved out. So there are two "tunnels" now? Was there a name picked for the new trail not long ago? On the map, it says "Winterset" [green] on the lower section of the trail.

Upper Winterset? hmm...how soon before the first snowflake hit BAWalker's backyard?
rmcva
August 29, 2005
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts
Good pics - thanks.
bawalker
August 29, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I don't know about snowflakes, but there are LEGITIMATE leaves falling from a walnut tree. It's about a week or two earlier thanbefore, but it'snot drought related. It's the normal time for those leaves to start dwindling and falling.
SeaRide
August 30, 2005
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
Quote:

I don't know about snowflakes, but there are LEGITIMATE leaves falling from a walnut tree. It's about a week or two earlier thanbefore, but it'snot drought related. It's the normal time for those leaves to start dwindling and falling.

Oh my ... now you are talking about foliage. I am having some bad hankering for the first sight of frost. eheh
warren
August 30, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Leaves falling...OK..OK..It's coming....Bring it on!

-Warren-
tommo
August 30, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
Thanks for the update with the photos. The trail looks great, with interesting turns and twists rather than just a straight shot down the mountain.

I am very curious about the supporting infrastructure, though. None of the shots seem to show any snowmaking hydrants, towers or lights. Does anyone know if TL is planning to have snowmaking on the new trail or are they hoping to rely on natural cover?
Glenn_C
September 3, 2005
Member since 11/14/2004 🔗
67 posts
Excellent pics P-Pig!!! Getting psyched for the white stuff...I'll go out on a limb and predict 14 weeks till first flake....just after pearl harbor day.
Murphy
September 4, 2005
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Quote:

Oh my ... now you are talking about foliage. I am having some bad hankering for the first sight of frost. eheh

38 degrees in Canaan last night. It's getting close!
fred
September 4, 2005
Member since 12/23/2004 🔗
59 posts
I don't think the new trail will be to popular with snowboarders if they have to bring trekking poles with them just to get to the bottom. But from the looks of it at the bottom of the new trail your going to either need to pole if your skiing or walk if your on a snowboard.

I guess we will just have to see how it skis or boards...or how it doesn't ski or board.

From the looks of those pictures though doesn't it look like the trail goes uphill out of the tunnel(it looks the same in person). They can only build up so much snow in that tunnel-the groomers have to be able to get threw it.

I have to say I am skeptical about the grade at the bottom as well as the snow making capacity of timberline to open this trail and still be able to open even half of the mountain before january.

Hopefully Canaan gets some powerful early storms.

I spoke with some locals last weekend,who work at timberline during the winter, and they said they wouldn't bet on the terrain parks opening any earlier this season. Infact they didn't know but they said they would guess the new trail and the snowblowing it will take to open and maintain will probably push the opening of the park back even further.

These folks I talked to seem to be reliable source. And I know it is hear say, but that is better info then I have recieved from the timberline office when I've attempted to contact them, and since they have mentioned nothing about terrain parks in there "plans" for the mountains, it seems as though they just don't care about terrain parks for the kids.

My family and I have decided to go with season passes at Canaan this season-I guess the word is that they are going to open some jumps and rails for the kids early this season.I know the word on the street is not going to be 100% accurate, but I'm going to take a gamble. All my kids talk about is jumps and grinds.

I asked the same Timberline winter employees if timberline just didn't have anybody that knew anything about terrain parks or if they were just understaffed in that area. I would be willing to do "something???" to get some jumps and boxes up for the kids to play on, but I'm no jump expert and probably couldn't help much.

But I was surprised when they said that there is actually a guy who worked their during the winter who knows what he is doing and actually put together a "snowboard team", what!. Unfortunately they say he spends most of his time trying to get the management to open the park. They then said that they weren't even sure if he was going to work at timberline this season. They said they actually had rails that were just sitting around in storage last season until february. What a shame..this entire time I just thought they didn't have anybody that knew what they were doing. If they actually do and they still aren't building anything for the kids to play on....what a shame.

Timberline if your reading, sorry but you just lost a family's worth of season passes this year- we are looking for terrain parks at the mountains we take our family to.

Oh well, let it snow!!!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.