where to buy skies?
11 posts
10 users
1k+ views
langleyskier
August 25, 2005
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I want to get a new pair of skies this year but w/o ski chalet where do i go?

I live in Mclean near tysons corner and sugestions?
wojo
August 25, 2005
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts
I bought my Crossmax 8 at Extreme All Sport, www.extremeallsport.com, at 50 and 28 in chantilly. Decent price, owner is fun to talk too. I checked the prices on the internet and he was comparable.
Swimmer
August 25, 2005
Member since 02/3/2005 🔗
143 posts
I don't ever see anyone mention Ski Center, or if they do, it's rare. This is located in northwest, just off off Mass, close to River Road. Are they just not worth it? In my very limited experience, it seems they had as much ski inventory as Ski Chalet in Gaithersburg, plus a small tele section. What's the more experienced word on this place?

Steve
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
August 25, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
First off, Ski Chalet is back (albeit under new ownership). The "BIG ONE...The Dilly in Chantilly" will be held Sept 16-19 this year. Alpine Ski Shop is a great place out in the Sterling area. Eddie and his crew are long time experts. And Willi's is openning a new shop in Fairfax in the near future...So, in addition to Ski Center in Washington, there are a lot of choices.
The Colonel
langleyskier
August 25, 2005
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Quote:

First off, Ski Chalet is back (albeit under new ownership).

The ski chalet in Tysons Corner is out of buissness and right now there is a big for sale sign outside the old shop.
But where is ski center i think i have actualy heard of it and if it is not too far away id love to give it a try.
comprex
August 25, 2005
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Quote:

But where is ski center i think i have actualy heard of it and if it is not too far away id love to give it a try.

Mass. Ave and 49th st, near American University. Rte 123 then across Chain Bridge from you.
Otto
August 26, 2005
Member since 11/19/1999 🔗
176 posts
Ski Center is an excellent shop. They are not cheap, but who is? They provide great customer service and know their stuff.
Pro-Fit in Leesburg is also a great shop if you want to make the trip. Both are great for bootfitting as well.

Please don't buy skis if you are in rear entry boots...
snowcone
August 26, 2005
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
We do our hardwear buying at Ski Center in DC, soft goods there are outrageous. Their women's ski wear is almost all high end stuff ... $600 jackets anyone? ... so for outerwear we have always bought from Ski Chalet. Ski Center's boot and ski guys are the best in the area. We have never been disappointed and we will be going back this fall for new expert boots for my daughter and Shadow. They are not cheap but you get what you pay for ... and then some.
JohnL
August 26, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Echo what Otto and Snowcone said about Ski Center. For boot and ski service, they are the best in DC/inner suburbs.
ScotS244
August 26, 2005
Member since 01/29/2004 🔗
122 posts
What the Colonel said. Ski Chalet is back. Big four day sale in Chantilly serving as the grand "re-opening" and shortly after that the other area stores - Arlington, Shady and Chantilly will be open. Hard good selection to be scaled back slightly but there'll still be plenty of options.
Crush
August 26, 2005
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
Swimmer - Ski Center is awesome a freakin' great boot fitting and ski staff. They were the first ones to point out to me that I need shims in the *front* of my boots on the tongue to keep my heels in the heel pockets... and they have a lot of good skis with a staff that can make "real" recommendations, not just parrot back the brand-x sales rep's line.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.