suggestions for cheap lodging for Boy Scout Troop
6 posts
5 users
1k+ views
mwg
August 24, 2005
Member since 08/24/2005 🔗
46 posts
Our Scout troop got behind and didn't make reservations at Timberline early enough(our usual ski place.) The Bunkhouse is now full during Jan and Feb. Any suggestions for cheap lodging for a group of 30+ people? We are open to other resorts, not just Timberline. All levels of skiing ability represented. Any help appreciated! Thanks.
tommo
August 24, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
Seven Springs has a series of bunkhouses/cabins that they rent to groups such as Scouts, etc.... The are located just behind and downhill of the high rise hotel. Each sleeps quite a few kids on bunks and cots and typically has 3 bathrooms across the back. There is also a psuedo kitchen with a large table on the entrance level. My wife booked her G.S. troops into 2 units last year (we had about 26 people, as I recall) with a package deal for the bunkhouse, breakfast and lift tickets. It was an excellent deal and was very convienent to all of the amenities in the lodge. The only catch, which may be an issue for you, is that you have to book very early. If you are interested, I would call TODAY and see what dates, if any, are still available. Good luck....
jb714
August 24, 2005
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
Although they're located right at Seven SPrings, you might want to consider the Camp SOles YMCA camp. They're located about 10-12 minutes East of the Springs. I took the wife and kids horseback riding there a couple of weeks back, and we had a great time. As an added bonus you can check out the site of one of our lost ski areas - they used to offer skiing on the other side of the lake.

Their numbers are:
814-352-7217 or 1-800-677-1811
jb714
August 24, 2005
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
I meant to say that Camp SOles is NOT located right at Seven Springs. That's what I get for not previewing before I post.
EasternSkiBum
August 24, 2005
Member since 08/20/2004 🔗
68 posts
There is a group of wonderful "cabins" in Canaan Valley State Park. I think they book early as well though.
There are bunk house type places up around Killington too if you want to make a longer road trip.

It's to bad that Village Square Lodge is no more up at B.K.
tgd
August 25, 2005
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
Winwood Fly-in Resort at Canaan Valley has a bunkhouse and will cater to boyscouts and other large groups. I've never stayed there, but a pilot friend flew with his club up there a couple years ago and seemed to really like the place and management. I can't imagine there would be too many large fly-ins up there in the dead of winter - but your scouts might get a kick out of watching planes land in the snow! Here is the contact info:

Windwood Resort
304 866-7456 or
888-359-4667

http://www.windwoodresort.com/
http://www.windwoodresort.com/Internet-Brocure.pdf

Tom

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?