When is season likely to start in US West/Canada
11 posts
8 users
2k+ views
KevR
August 15, 2005
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
I know its a tad early but I have a window of opportunity for a long ski weekend in either Sept or early Oct... Yes -- that's SUMMERTIME ... still just out of curiosity, any chance something might be open in the US or Canada?? I mean besides a snowball in hell sort of thing...

???
JimK - DCSki Columnist
August 15, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
That's a tough time. I'm not sure if even the lift served summer skiing/glaciers around Mt. Hood or Whistler are open then, but you could check those two. Last Oct 2004 I believe a couple Tahoe areas opened with very freak heavy snow around Halloween, but that's too late for a hundred-to-one-shot recurrence for your dates.
Maybe you could do some back country out of Anchorage AK??
Swimmer
August 15, 2005
Member since 02/3/2005 🔗
143 posts
I suggest you post that same question to

http://www.turns-all-year.com/

Its a site of dedicated people finding the goods during al the months. May have to hike for it, but its better than nothing.

Steve
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
August 15, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Silverton opened in Sep. in each of its first 2 years, 03 and 04.
KevR
August 16, 2005
786 posts
Well thanks for giving it a try -- Denis: Silverton looks truly awesome! ever been? http://www.silvertonmountain.com/index.php

I think realistically my friends couldn't handle it, and it may out of limits for me as well...
JimK - DCSki Columnist
August 16, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
Six years ago I had to go on a business trip to Vienna, Austria, which was great, but the timing was mid-Sept. First time in Europe in 15 yrs. While there was some lift served skiing at a few glaciers, it was pretty much the low ebb period of the year for skiing possibilities. As much as I wanted to try to fit in some skiing, I just couldn't justify the logistical effort to stay extra days and travel several additional hours to ski on half baked snow on a flat, melting glacier. If it had been late Nov or later I probably would have given it a try. We have far less fringe or off season ski possiblilities (lift served) in North America.
Norsk
August 16, 2005
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts
Re the glacier/snowfield skiing at Mt Hood or Whistler/Blackcomb, it will depend exactly when you are there. Both places do close for maintenance for several weeks in the fall. I believe that in early September one or both would still be open.

Colorado areas have opened as early as mid-October with some regularity (and I believe even earlier on occasion), but its basically one run off of one lift, all manmade. Loveland and Keystone usually compete for the "first open" honors. Still, not worth going out of your way to ski, usually.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
August 16, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I can't recall ever hearing about Silverton Mountain. A mite expensive, but wow!!! Wonder if my 64 year old of shape body could survive Silverton?
Anybody out there ever skied this thing? Is there a trail map?
The Colonel
Roger Z
August 16, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Silverton was/is an experiment in extreme skiing opened up a few years ago in CO. Skiing Magazine ran some articles on it if I remember right. 4000 vert and several thousand acres, one lift, and I think everything is black diamond or higher. Is there a base lodge? Can't remember- pretty sure they have an outhouse for toilets.

The town of Silverton is another piece of work. 75 people live there, old mining town. Supposed to be real charming, but absolutely nothing going on economically. This ski area was something of a boon for the area.
jimmy
August 16, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Colonel, Read about a guy's experience there,, said there was a good bit of hike to lines.

Roger, Drove thru silverton a couple of summers ago, It's three changes of underware over the mountain from ouray springs, really neat old town. Can't imagine even getting there in the winter. Silverton looks like a wild west movie set, be a cool place to hide out.
KevR
August 17, 2005
786 posts
The website says guided tours only and the message i got from the lack of trail map is -- that's exactly right: NO TRAIL MAP. If you want a trail map, go elsewhere please. Way out of limits for me i think... still VERY intriguing!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?