Cloud skiing without a helmet? (Mostly BS)
18 posts
12 users
4k+ views
jimmy
August 11, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Murphy, u bin cloud skiing yet? Did you wear a helmet? I went tonight, didn't have time to apply the Tromano method but did test JohnL's theory that there's no such thing as summer/winter berr. ........i tihnk he's right....anyway u remember the drill .....lookdrinklookdrink....all of asudden i see fright gully, 9990 lift at the canyons.......morning icy, how do i get outta here???got scared and went back inside for my helmet....go ahead and laff Crush i know u only wear a helmet when ur are racing......sorry murphy, i forgot to tell you to wear a helmet.

Any way, who's wearing a helmet, who's thinking about it and who never will? If ur wearing one , do u wear it all the time and what color is it?
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
August 12, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Jimmy,
I am a helmet man, been one for about 4 years. Decided to try to keep my 64 year young head in one piece when skiing, especially with the crazies one hinds at some of the local mountains. My helmet is a blue Giro (sp?).
The Colonel
TLaHaye
August 12, 2005
Member since 02/9/2005 🔗
136 posts
I've been wearing a helmet for a year. Did it largely to counter my kid's arguments for not wearing one. I wear it whenever I'm skiing (not even BD wears his all the time anymore) and can't really imagine skiing without it anymore.

It's black.
snowcone
August 12, 2005
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Helmet on. Always.

After a couple of not-fun falls and being taken out several times by punks on boards, I bought a helmet. My sister, the expert skier, used to scoff at me and my helmet until she took a bad fall. After a concussion and a world class headache for the better part of a week, she decided I wasn't so dumb after all. Bought a helmet and now she is ...

Helmet on. Always. Too.

Added advantages:
Warm and toasty in foul weather. Head doesn't get wet when skiing in snow.
Doesn't blow off in windy weather, aka., Snowshoe on occasion can get quite a blow going at the top. You can actually ski uphill backwards on Skidder given the proper conditions .. its freakie!
Add those speaker ear flaps from Giro and you have tunes without the ear buds falling out at speed.
Keeps your goggles in place
Protects your noggin when the other guy on the lift drops the bar without warning. [thunk!]
Great place to stash your gloves, goggles going inside for carb reload.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
jimmy
August 12, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
This is very important, snowcone, what color is it?
snowcone
August 12, 2005
589 posts
Color? Hmmm ... dunno .. light shade of something? And why does that matter?
Murphy
August 12, 2005
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Quote:

Murphy, u bin cloud skiing yet? Did you wear a helmet? I went tonight, didn't have time to apply the Tromano method but did test JohnL's theory that there's no such thing as summer/winter berr. ........i tihnk he's right....anyway u remember the drill .....lookdrinklookdrink....all of asudden i see fright gully, 9990 lift at the canyons.......morning icy, how do i get outta here???got scared and went back inside for my helmet....go ahead and laff Crush i know u only wear a helmet when ur are racing......sorry murphy, i forgot to tell you to wear a helmet.

Any way, who's wearing a helmet, who's thinking about it and who never will? If ur wearing one , do u wear it all the time and what color is it?

I tried to go cloud skiing that day you suggested it to me but the skies were clear. Best I could find was a wind blown contrail. Made for a nice long meandering run. Very relaxing. Had to unstrap once and push a little but it wasn't too bad. No helmet necessary.

Never actually used a helmet on the land-based slopes either but I imagine I might start as I advance to more difficult terrain. Or when my wife bugs me about it enough. But it may be too late. I've cracked my head open on a bike, climbing trees and standing too near a guy swinging an hatchet . Not to mention that time I fell out of that tree. By the way, you know what's really fun on a lazy summer day.... cloud skiing. You should try it.
jimmy
August 14, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Cloud skiing, mmmmmm, i'll have to try it . Do you need a helmet?

Got my Boeri this March, wife made me promise to wear it in utah, talked her into paying for it .......banged it around pretty good first day at alta..high rustler.....flat skis, don't go in the trees..... all fall down. Anyway, wore it five days there and one more in wv, i don't find it uncomfortable, did I mention it was silver, keeps your head dry if it's snowing or raining, i'm more likely to go in the trees....maybe not a good thing?? It's a apain in the a s s when i have to take it off though, won't fit in pocket.

I'd rather wear a hat.
warren
August 15, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Jimmy,
You already know this since you met me at T-line but... Both by daughter and I always wear ours (when skiing that is ). We have matching copper colored Giro Fuse helmets. I'll have to try that cloud skiing to get me through the rest of this nasty un-season.

-Warren-
jimmy
August 16, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Warren, TLH, seems to make sense that it's easier to convince the kids it's cool to wear a helmet when you're wearing one too. Just look at The Colonel, he's either starting his second childhood, or maybe never left his first . Doesn't seem like too many folks on the board wear helmets.
therusty
August 17, 2005
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
I've been wearing a black Boeri for many year snow. Mostly to set a good example when teaching (lots of parents have pointed out my helmet to their kids), but also because I started riding the board in the pipe and park. I usually take it off when the temp gets over 45 due to my hair catching on fire, but I bought a white one for spring skiing over the off season.
ridenski - DCSki Supporter 
August 19, 2005
Member since 04/11/2004 🔗
82 posts
I also wear a black Boeri; I'm thinking of going to the Giro with earflaps for the tunes. I don't know if my head is big or just shaped funny, (probably both), but I've never found a hat that will keep my ears covered. A few times I've almost frozen them off, which takes a lot of fun out of the day for me. With the helmet, I never even think about my ears, I'm just always comfortable. I could maybe use more air vents like the newer helmet designs have, because as Rusty says it gets hot on a warm day, but for the most part the helmet neutraizes what used to be a significant problem for me.
I've also seen a good number of smushed heads in the trauma bay, (although none from skiing), and anything I can do to minimize the chance of that happening to me I'm going to do (except stay out of the trees and off the steeps, ski slowly, etc., of course...). A helmet doesn't prevent head injury, but it surely must decrease the severity of the head bonk in some situations and that plus warm ears is good enough for me.
The helmet also gives me a place to put some totally rad stickers, so when I snowboard I feel more like a shredder and less like a "gray on a tray"! Not that I'm fooling anyone....
snowcone
August 19, 2005
589 posts
Definitely check out a Giro. We switched to Giro ski helmets 5 years ago based on our experience with the brand in biking helmets. They are great helmets and you can fit them to almost any size head with fillers that come with. Shadow, who is big-headed [physically!] upgraded to the tunes version last year and loves it. I'm jealous, but can't justify a new helmet ... yet!
Crush
August 19, 2005
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
Jimmy - I *have* to ask you dude ... your original message was so funny ... how much of what substance did it take to get you that way so next time you're here I can insure a replay and witness it for myself lol !

.. and I *never* think it is unwise to wear a helmet. True my trusty Jofa "football helmet" mostly gathers dust in the closet, but that's just me. I like the Carrera (sp?) line personally. I just don't wear them ... I guess for me (just like not using condoms) skiing is a little more fun when it is risky. Plus it feels better. But here is a story that votes pro-helmet (but not pro-condom ... yuk):

I was doing gate training runs (actually at Ski Libery) and was very motivated to go as fast as possible. I *reaaaallllly* tightend up my line and was going to totally crush the next gate (hence my nickname/handle). I put my head down to the right and waited for the "clack" sound but to my surprise I experienced an impact right on the top of my head that felt (and sounded) like someone hitting me with a baseball bat... I actually hit the non-breakaway side of the gate with my head. Because of the speed, it made me see stars and I sort of started to pass out a little while still skiing. I just kind of sat down and slide down the rest of Whitney's on my side .... whew that goodness for the helmet! ... wait a sec .... didn't I tell that one on here before?! Gee I guess all those head impacts can have a cumulative effect!
jimmy
August 19, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

Jimmy - I *have* to ask you dude ... your original message was so funny ... how much of what substance did it take to get you that way so next time you're here I can insure a replay and witness it for myself lol !

Crush, a lot , i'd rather not say on this forum but u probably don't have to go to wyoming to get it....."it's a good thing, plant that bell and let it ring!" .
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
October 21, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
I bought a helmet about 8 yrs. ago, the day after getting hit by a snowboarder coming out of the woods into a busy trail with no spotter. I believe the biggest risk of head injuries is on crowded blue and even green slopes, not the expert slopes and not the woods. I am also protecting a 64 yr. old head. Do you remember the Beatles song, When I'm 64?
SeaRide
October 22, 2005
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
My friend did cracked his own boeri helmet at Telluride but that didn't stop from protecting his head. He shipped it to Boeri co. for replacement at no charge. Before I was convinced to buy a Boeri, I was wearing a Bell helmet.

I wear Boeri Kameleon and the color is Blue.

My friend and I always remind each other to wear helmet by saying "load and lock" before snaking the virgin snow!
BushwackerinPA
October 22, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Wear a Giro 9 all the time, I ahve been for 2 years now.

For me i never had a head injury in the one year i skied without. But wear it now cause i generally like helmets more than hat. Hell mines nearly as light, warmer, drier andmore comfortable than any hat i ever tried to ski with.

It has helped with minor run ins with gates and tree branchs so far. At MRG this year i actually took a 3 inch branch(I awas in mid air and could not avoid it) of a tree with my head barely felt the impact and just kept skiing.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?