New ski friends.
10 posts
6 users
1k+ views
Kris
August 4, 2005
Member since 03/15/2005 🔗
248 posts
I just started skiing last year, and i felt pretty confident on any slope in WV...I think i hit everyone at CV, TL, and Winterplace...Love the sport...Im hooked already...But, Ive been a member of this forum for about a year now and have never met any of you guys...Most of my friends like to ski, but they dont like to pay to ski...lol...So they dont want to go as much as i would like to...I would go by myself, but it is much more fun if you have someone to ski with....so on those days when the "cheap" crew bails out on me...im countin on some of you guys to take up their slack...

Oh yeah...you can tell winter is almost here...forums are getting a little more active now...
wvrocks
August 4, 2005
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
Hey Kris, a couple times last year several of the members here met at Timberline. Keep an eye out for posts about get togethers. Its a pretty informal thing and its nice to put some faces with the names.

Where are you located in Tucker Co? Have you ever considered joining one of the local ski patrols or ski schools? Its a good way to make skiing cheaper, especially since you are local. Sure there is work and time involved, but there is also a lot of time on the snow. I think Timberline Ski Patrol is offering an OEC (outdoor emergency care) class sometime this fall. That would be the first step toward patrolling if you are interested.
gatkinso
August 4, 2005
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
Perhaps an agreed upon meeting place and time - like be at the Silver Queen lift at 10:30 on weekends and holidays - would work.

That way no planning is needed: just make it there in time.

This is what they do on other boards, anyway. Also, they have an agreed upon radio channel (that you can only get at the meeting place - no posting it).
bawalker
August 4, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I like the radio channel idea, DCSkier's can agree upon a different channel per resort, then when everyone starts getting there and if like myself, run 15-20 min behind sometimes, then can radio ahead and everyone else who is at the meeting spot can get a run in, and meet back in 15 min.
EasternSkiBum
August 4, 2005
Member since 08/20/2004 🔗
68 posts
Kris... I don't know what your age is but there are ski clubs around that will give you just what your looking for. If there's not one in your area, just look some up on the internet... Blue Ridge Ski Council www.skicouncil.com is one source of clubs. Colleges and some high schools usually have them too. Look at my trip in the ski club area of this forum to see what I mean. Happy skiing

PS...Clubs can almost always find you a roomie for the trips. Lots of singles/ or people whose spouses don't ski go on these trips.
Kris
August 5, 2005
248 posts
wvrocks...I used to be in Davis...but a few months ago i moved to Philippi...Guess i need to update my profile..Its just one county over though...Got a better job around clarksburg...With this new job, I dought i would have time to do the ski patrol thing...I would love to try that though when things slow down...
I'll probably just stick to the meeting places and try my best to be there...
Ski bum...im 22 yrs old...still a young pup...
thanks for all the ideas...I'll catch some of ya on the slopes this year...
wojo
August 15, 2005
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts
Was/is there any interest for establishing DC Ski radio channels for the "local resorts" like Whitetail, Liberty, TL, Canaan, . . .

I do several "nothing big on the schedule today" half days at Whitetail and go up by myself. Wouldn't mind radio'ing in and have someone to ski with. Do people ride share up to the local places for day trips??
bawalker
August 15, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Interesting. I'm someone that has lots of those 'do nothing important days today' and can head to TL, Canaan, Wisp, or other local resorts. I think that'd be a good idea.
Kris
August 16, 2005
248 posts
Brad,
How far are you (time wise) from TL, CV, or Wisp?
bawalker
August 16, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
(1hr 40min) TL/CV using the following route: Wardensville to Baker to Moorefield to Petersburg to Seneca Rocks to Harman to CV.

(2hr 5min) Wisp using the following route: Wardensville to Baker to Moorefield to Keyser to Westernport, MD to Oakland, MD to McHenry, MD. Although I'm looking to alter that to a new route for me which would save about 40 miles.

(45min) Bryce using the following route: Wardensville to Strasburg to Mt. Jackson.

(1hr 35min) Whitetail using the following route: Wardensville to Gore to Winchester to Martinsburg to Hagerstown to Whitetail.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?