Corridor H Info?
9 posts
6 users
1k+ views
MadMonk
July 12, 2005
Member since 12/27/2004 🔗
235 posts
I think BAWalker made a mention of an update in another thread. I've looked around and can't find anything. Did I miss it or has it not been posted yet?
bawalker
July 12, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Nothing has been posted yet. I'm going to be working with Scott on getting a mainpage article or possibly a series of articles regarding Corridor H. I hope to have that done in a few weeks pending on Scott's schedule of course.
MadMonk
July 13, 2005
235 posts
Cool. I'll look for that and not waste time rereading all the threads looking for the update.
Rickh
July 13, 2005
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts
What is taking so long on the current section? It appears (I don't know the name) they haven't touch the one bridge they are building. I drove under the bridge about a month ago, then again this past weekend. I think there was one more girder placed. Does anyone have a date as to when this section will be open?

Someone looking to shave 15 mintues off his trip to TLine!!!!
MadMonk
July 13, 2005
235 posts
I believe that part of the problem is that the bridge has a curvature to it (and possibly a change in elevation). Someone posted during the winter that they had tried to place the girders a few times and couldn't get them to line up. That and it doesn't seem that they are working on a daily basis.
bawalker
July 13, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Rick - Opening date was scheduled for Aug. 15 but obviously that is not going to be reality. The McCauley bridges simply for some unknown reason are dragging fruther and further behind. I heard from a crewman on the sinks bridges, that the McCauley bridge has maybe 6 guys working total on BOTH bridges. If that really is the case as it appears to be, it won't be until next year until that section is open. I have no idea as to why construction on that bridge is nearly at a halt.
Norsk
July 19, 2005
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts
Yup, Corr H website now says that the current section (Baker-Wardensville) won't open until "Fall/Winter 2005". Applying the standard WVDOH discount, I'd say that means it actually won't be open until next summer.

Q for Brad: I also noticed on the Corr H website that it now says that construction on Bismarck to Forman is scheduled to begin in summer 2007. This is a change; it previously said that construction of this section was contingent on funding. To me, this is the key section for travellers to the CV. Without it, Moorefield to Forman is essentially a road to nowhere (for skiers). With it, the trip to CV is all interstate quality except for the VA/WV line portion and the last bit from Bismarck, which is already a straight and flat (and fast ) road.

Is this true -- is there now a clear plan and funding to build to Bismarck? Or is this just more WVDOH optimism?
Packyderm1
July 19, 2005
Member since 11/8/1999 🔗
36 posts
I noticed that they added years for construction to begin to all sections except one, each section is to begin construction 2 years apart, Bismark to Forman - 2007, Davis to Bismark - 2009, Kerens to Parsons - 2011. I assume this means the last section is projected to begin construction in 2013 if they get all of their approvals. I assume that this is what is on someone's MS Project schedule at the DOH Headquarters, but wonder how much it is really grounded in reality, especially since the completion dates they list are usually off. Its still nice to see some dates instead of the standard "dependent upon funding" tag.

I did also notice that over the next few weeks they are bidding the next two small sections of the Forman-Moorefield section which will take the road up to the bridge to cross the South Branch of the Potomac River.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
July 20, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
For those who must travel all the way to the metro area, this might also make a difference (taken from Dr. Gridlock yesterday):
>
> Bristow, Va.: What is the estimated timeframe for
> the completion of widening
> I-66 in the Gainesville area?
> It looks like they have been making some great
> progress this summer.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ron Shaffer: I believe it is next year for that
> three mile segment from
> Route 234 to the Route 234 bypass, all in Prince