Laurel Mountain Update ???
9 posts
4 users
1k+ views
hockeydave
July 5, 2005
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
Has anybody heard anything about Laurel Mountain ?

I'm beginning to think the silence from 7S is deafening as far as their future with LM is concerned.

Hopefully, somebody else with some cash and a passion to keep that special place open will step forward. If not, I think LM's days are numbered.
JR
July 5, 2005
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
I was just up by there yesterday while me and the wife were on a drive. It was my first time up there and we couldn't see anything really since the road to the lodge was closed. That area is stunning to say the least. I hope I get to try it out now that I'm finally nearby.

Their website mentions applications for season passes so I guess its still just up in the air.
queenoftheslopes
July 5, 2005
Member since 11/15/2004 🔗
143 posts
I was up at 7s over the holiday weekend. I talked to the staff in the season ticket office, and they told me that no decision had been made. Its a possiblility, but so dar no news.
hockeydave
July 13, 2005
780 posts
Thought I'd post a couple of pics I took last year... hope I get to take some this year

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hockey_dave_2000/album?.dir=/5ce8

I can't reveal my source, but rumour has it that Somerset Trust really has sweetened the deal for 7S to take over operations @ LM. Supposedly, 7S management is all for the take over, but the board of directors is against it.

Also, there is supposed to be 2 groups who are very interested in case 7S doesn't bite. Should know the outcome by the end of the month.
hockeydave
August 1, 2005
780 posts
Was @ LM this past weekend mountain biking. Went to the lodge... no sign of life, except the grass around the lodge was cut recently, but the slopes haven't been touched. Also spoke to the unofficial mayor of LM Village who has many high contacts with higher ups @ Somerset Trust & 7S... says a deal is in the works to reopen LM, but the date keeps changing due to legal issues. The late start last year (along with the bad weather) curtailed business. As days go by, I think there is less and less of a chance of a 05-06 ski season @ LM. Hope I'm wrong.
Heather
August 2, 2005
Member since 02/24/2005 🔗
170 posts
Hope you enjoyed the bike ride this weekend HD! Being a full time resident of LM Village, I find it very upsetting that every day the story seems to change in regards to the future of LM. I wish someone, anyone, could put the right amount of pressure on 7S or Somerset Trust to get the deal moving or off the table completely. Maybe if 7S is out of the picture, some other grp would be willing to step up to the plate. Just me being hopeful!
hockeydave
August 2, 2005
780 posts
I'm envious of you Heather, being a full time resident of LM Village!!! What a great place to live, with hiking, biking and hopefully skiing right outside your house. It really is one special place. My fiance and I would love to buy a place there, but until all of the situations get straightened out (reopening (yet again) of skiing , foreclosure of LM Village by Somerset Trust, sewage plant issues), our plans are on hold.

I also understand there may be one more problem with 7S taking over LM operations. If 7S were to take over LM operations prior to PA awarding the gaming licences, and were 7S to acquire a gaming licence, a potential conflict of interest might arise since 7S would have to work with the DCNR (overseer of PA state parks).

Hopefully something happens soon. I'm not optimistic, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Heather
August 2, 2005
Member since 02/24/2005 🔗
170 posts
There are a few homes for sale in the village, and the prices are coming down. Two A-Frames on my road are currently for sale and the larger of the two I believe was just reduced to around 150,000. Maybe if all things work out for LM, more people would be likely to purchase second homes or fulltime homes in my small corner of the world!
hockeydave
August 3, 2005
780 posts
Quote:

I wish someone, anyone, could put the right amount of pressure on 7S or Somerset Trust to get the deal moving or off the table completely. Maybe if 7S is out of the picture, some other grp would be willing to step up to the plate. Just me being hopeful!

I've heard lots of rumours also about other parties being interested in taking over LM.

I think if some other group had serious interest in running/buying LM from Somerset Trust, I don't think they would hesitate for a nansecond to get 7S out of the picture.

Bottomline is that the state of PA needs to help any group (including 7S) that might take over LM operations succeed.

For example, tax breaks, easement of on-site lodging restrictions, etc. Until then, don't expect anyone to be in any hurry to jump up to the plate.

I think 7S mgmt knows this, and may use as leverage to lower the asking price from Somerset Trust, if in fact, they are still interested in running/buying LM.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?