Follow up on Southeast route to 7S
7 posts
5 users
tromano
July 4, 2005
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Went up to 7S this weekend to spend the long weekend at the new condo. We have been working on a route to access 7S via 68 from DC and have finally come up wiht a winner.

I270W-I70W-I68W-219N

Take 219N to Garret,PA turn onto 653W. Follow this all the way until you hit 281 in New Centerville. Continue straight across rt-281 (leaving 653W) Continue straight all the way to the 7S gates (about 7 miles). No truck traffic noted on backroads. We were able to make this form our condo in NW to 7S in 3:15. No tolls and little traffic on I-68 compated to the PA TPK. No difficult ascents or switchbacks
in PA highlands.
jb714
July 5, 2005
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
My wife and I recently bought a cottage 6 miles East of 7 Springs (near the village of Trent)- I've been using the route that you describe for a few months now. It prevents tons of PA Turnpike/Breezewood headaches. A couple of points worth noting: on one of my recent trips there was a Summit Township police car sitting in the village of Garrett, where the speed limit is 25 mph. I was surprised to learn that a rural township even has a police force of it's own. When I'm that close to my destination there is a strong temptation to drop the hammer for the last few miles, but fortunately I was only doing 25 at the time.

Also, one one my recent return trips I was on Rt 219 South and had just crossed from PA into MD - apparently the speed limit drops from 55 to 40. Thee was a group of 3 MD State Troopers with a speed-trap, and I was snagged doing 52 mph in the 40 zone.
Ullr
July 5, 2005
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Either of you ever rent your places out? Looking to take the family up for a weekend this year and would rent from a Fourm member first if interested.
tromano
July 5, 2005
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Some of the towns on that route are actually larger than a PO and gas station / country store. I guess they grew up a few decades ago in the minign days or whatever.

You have to watch for the cops. They seem to love to catch outsiders. I think they literally have nothing better to do. And over the holiday weekend they were all over the place. the 55 --> 40 swithc was a big one. I guess its alyways good to watch out when you cross the state line.

Another problem with speed limits is the lack of adequate signage. In some sections the signs are so far appart you can forget what speed you are supposed to be going. Also some of the signs say something like "End 45 MPH zone" what does this mean?
rmcva
July 5, 2005
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts
On a recent trip, turning off 68 onto 219, a few miles north they had a speed trap set their also. There were two officers with radars at the crest of a hill and curve. If you were speeding, by the time you saw them they already had you.
BushwackerinPA
July 6, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
drive a really fast car with changable plates and dont pay attention to the signs. .
jb714
July 6, 2005
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
rmcva, the spot that you're describing sounds like the precise spot where thay snagged me. I was coming south on 219, about 3 miles before I got to I-68.I've decided that it simply isn't worth it to speed, at least not after I'm off the interstate. It's 197 miles door-to-door. Driving like a Bat out of Hell I can make it in 3:05; driving just a little over the limit on the interstate, and at the limit on the rural roads, it takes me about 3:25. To my way of thinking the 20 minutes saved isn't worth the $75 that speeding has already cost me.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.