-Carbonation (a mogul run)/Snowbird
-Ballroom/Alta
-Superstar/Killington
-Been There & Done That/Steamboat?
-Moonshine/Snowshoe
-Where's Joe?!/Whistler-Blackcomb
-100 Turns/The Canyons
-Know You Don't!/Deer Valley

That's all off the top of my head... some ski run names crack me up.
comprex
June 9, 2005
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Kangourou/Sutton
BouBou/Sutton

You're using too many turns at the Canyons.
Roy
June 10, 2005
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
Dick's Ditch/Jackson Hole

The name drove me to ski it and it is one of my top 3 trails.
BushwackerinPA
June 10, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Lies and rumors at gore
Quacky and paradise at MRG
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
jimmy
June 10, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Here's a combination for ya

Temptation & Climax, Park City UT
Roger Z
June 10, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Omigosh - Cataloochee, NC I think.

Glory Hole- Big Mtn. MT (and elsewhere)

Anyone ever thought up names for ski runs? I've always liked "Wailing Wall" and "Quitcherbitchin" for a couple of expert runs. That and with my "Ski Buckhorn" (aka Moonshine Mountain) campaign, Buckhorn just provides endless opportunities for puns. "Buck up," "Buck this," "Buck and run," "Buck buck," etc.
MadMonk
June 10, 2005
Member since 12/27/2004 🔗
235 posts
Yeah, Park City has a Gloryhole trail as well.

It's been a while, but I believe Breck has run called Pscyho.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
June 10, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
As Mack surely knows Bassackwards takes on add'l fun meaning because founder of Snowbird is Dick Bass.

Some trail names just sound cool in the abstract like Organgrinder at Sugarbush, but others are cool when you get to personally find out how well they match the terrain of the trail.

-I always thought Extrovert at Blue Knob was a pretty classy name for a tough trail that can be closely observed by riders on two lifts directly above.
-Eye Opener at Wisp is aptly named for its great view of pretty lake/mtn landscape. The first photo in this link of two kids shows that view, which was really great that particular day with ice on trees but packed powder on trails.

http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=388&mode=headlines

-Rebel Yell at Massanutten is perfect for a popular run at a Virginia ski area not far from a number of historic civil war locales. I can picture in my mind numerous under qualified southern ski novices screaming bloody murder the first time their friends dragged them down this one which is kinda steep for the first few hundred yards.
-Cascade at Killington tells you a thing or two about the run without ever seeing it.

Here's a fun epic thread on ski areas with trail name themes which can range from fun to tacky to bizarre: http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=25778&highlight=trail+themes
Roger Z
June 10, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Thanks for the post Jim. I had forgotten about Mary's Nipple at Grand Targhee. But of course, just over the pass there are the Hobacks at JH, named for exactly what you think they're named. Jackson Hole also has Bird-n-the-Hand.

Dithdigger Glade- Blue Knob, right?

Squaw Valley- KT22, named for the 22 kick-turns it required the first skier to get down it.

Mammoth has some good names- Murphy should be able to enlighten us about a few of those.

At Mission Ridge Washington there's the innocuous-sounding Bomber Run. But it's named for a bomber that crashed into the side of the mountain during a training mission in 1944. The trail goes right by the wreck; very cool.

Cloudspin at Whiteface.

Here-Be-Dragons at Solitude.

This is an awesome brainstorming thread!
Kris
June 10, 2005
Member since 03/15/2005 🔗
248 posts
I always liked "Dark side of the Moon" - CV

Not a real technical trail, but nice name..
Murphy
June 10, 2005
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Quote:

Mammoth has some good names- Murphy should be able to enlighten us about a few of those.

Huevos Grande at Mammoth looked appropriately named. Paranoid Flats is another. They scared me from 3,000 feet below .
Crush
June 10, 2005
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
comprex - yup 6 more turns than 94 Turns at The Canyons (actually when I ski it is is like 18 but that is just me).

We like Canis Lupus at the same resort ... or as we call it "Cannabis Lupus" ;-)

Or @ The Canyons off Dreamscape ... "7-sisters" obviously a Mormon family har har! The new ASC expansion will include the double-blue run "3-wives" and the black-rated "Polygamy Powder"..... yahahahah (boy I am lame today).

... and ASC plans to re-name The Canyons ... first it was Park West, then Wolf Mountain, now The Canyons, ... next ..... (drum roll) Wolf Valley (Deer Valley look out)

... god thank goodness Snowbird is still open I have way too much time on hand!
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
June 10, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I have always liked the name "Widowmaker" at Snowshoe, and "White Lightening" at Bryce captures the Appalacians rather well.
The Colonel
comprex
June 10, 2005
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Quote:

We like Canis Lupus at the same resort ... or as we call it "Cannabis Lupus" ;-)

Is that what Mikey and I just finished (next to my right shoulder) in this pic?
Mack
June 10, 2005
Member since 12/19/2004 🔗
34 posts
Quote:

comprex - yup 6 more turns than 94 Turns

Heh. 94 Turns is good, but 100 Turns is better. Its way over by Boa.
Ullr
June 10, 2005
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Ullr's Dream

Jay Peak

canaanman
June 10, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Hmm... just a few of my personal favorites

The Canyons, UT
The Abyss
The Tube
Thunder, which is right below Lightning
Fright Face

A-Basin
Powder Keg
13 Cornices

Mt. Hood Meadows
Rock Garden (it is)
Elevator Shaft
1/2 Moon Bowl (it's half open, half trees)
Superbowl

Kicking Horse, BC
Stairway to Heaven
Knee Deep

Whistler-Blackcomb
Doom & Gloom
In-Deep
Yard Sale
Bark Sandwich
Backstage Pass
Black Magic

Other
Widowmaker-Snowshoe
Nightmare-Winterplace (which was subsequently closed because of a death.. sweet dreams)

Bike Trails
90 Steps (more like switchbacks)
Brake Burner
Dop's Drop (my private trail)
Waterfalls
Poo Plateau (you will lose at least one shoe)
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
June 11, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Quote:

At Mission Ridge Washington there's the innocuous-sounding Bomber Run. But it's named for a bomber that crashed into the side of the mountain during a training mission in 1944. The trail goes right by the wreck; very cool.

This picture;
http://www.biglines.com/photos_large.php?picid=41942
is Airplane Gully on Mt. Washington taken last weekend whern I was there with my grandson. It got its name the same way; used to be Clay Col Gully until a plane crashed there in 1992. I skied it 2 yrs. ago but not on this trip. Friends who were skiing it that day said it still had 1100 vertical feet of continuous skiable snow. It ought to make July this year with 500 ft. or more.

Another of my favorites is Teardrop at Stowe, one of the original racing trails cut by the CCC in 1933. Later lifts were built on the other side of the mtn. and it fell into disuse. A handfull of backcountry skiers kept it cleared just enough so it can still be skied. In recent years it has become more widely known so you must hit it early on a powder day. It's about 2200 vertical over a bit more than a mile, ending at Underwood State Park where you must either have a car spotted or skin up. Mt. Mansfield resembles the face of a man sleeping on his back. The prominent rock features are the forehead, nose, chin and Adam's apple, all of which are 500 ft. or more above the lifts. Teardrop begins between the forehead and the nose. Sorry but I don't have a picture to post.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.