You ski alone?
16 posts
9 users
7k+ views
jimmy
May 27, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Part of the joy of skiing, i think, is enjoying a day on a snow covered mountain with friends/family. Finding a new line, making a great run, blowing up under the lift and people laff at you, all good when you have someone to share the experience with...........but once the tips turn down the fall line it's just, always, me ande the mountain.

I saw a survey in one of the ski mag's that asked who do you ski with or who do you like to ski with most, something like that. "Myself", suprisingly to me, was 20%.

I'm curious how many days or what % you ski alone and why? Me, I skied 34 days, 7 alone. A couple of those days, I was sooo sick, I just couldn't make it to work , a few more because on the last day of a multi day trip, no one got out of bed but me, one day it was just to be alone.

So, who ski's alone?
jimboc
May 27, 2005
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
all the time - especially when conditions are good - no waiting around for other people - shorter lift lines - your not as obvious when your "duckin" to your favorite runs.....
if its sunny out and normal conditions - then skiing with fam and friends is tops!
Roger Z
May 27, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Define "alone."

Between the ages of 17-27, I skied alone a LOT because I could never find anyone to go with. So I'd drive myself, ski myself, drive home myself, even vacation out west myself. The full alone thing is fun to do once in a while but after a few years it really starts to suck.

You're right, skiing is a family/friends event. I spend a lot of time skiing with either and/or both now, but even then it's that we take a trip together while often I'll ski most of the day by myself. That's mostly because my family and friends are intermediates and I'm advanced, so our run tastes don't coincide. But in the afternoon I always try to take several runs with whomever I'm skiing with so we can swap horror stories, grab a beer together, etc.

Only a couple of times have I ever spent the entire day skiing with someone, run after run. Both times were quite fun. Ideally it'd be good to find someone at about your level so you can ski together the whole day. Makes backcountry exploration much, much safer too.
Tick
May 27, 2005
Member since 05/27/2005 🔗
41 posts
For me skiing alone is about 50% of the time. It's not the preferred method, but there are several reasons why it happens:

Guys (or girls) can't get off work for a weekday trip;
Friends can't afford a trip out west;
Skill level or slope preference is different.

I end up skiing runs that aren't very challenging for me sometimes when I ski with some friends. I'll try to break away for a few "solo" runs here and there. I'm a carving boarder, so there aren't too many of my type around.

However, with that said, I did a trip to Vail the first week of April with a childhood buddy that I used to surf with. It was the best trip ever. Always great to share in the elation after an epic run!
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Roy
May 27, 2005
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
Quote:

Ideally it'd be good to find someone at about your level so you can ski together the whole day.

Finding that person that is your level is what makes me ski alone. I have ski buddy's but not many in this area. And this is people that are at or slightly above me. Sometimes, especially when you take that spur of the moment trip, you know it's great conditions and if you can't find the right person to go with, you want to ski it by yourself.

That being said, I have a group that takes a trip someone each year. The levels are mixed but more and more of the group are getting better. There's still some that want to go in the trees (ME!) and those that just want to stay on groomers. But we can typically ski the same lift out west and we keep meeting up at the bottom of the lift.

Now that I'm an instructor, it's great because you always have someone to ski with. There's always someone ready to go and always at your level. Plus there are so many your constantly finding new people to ski with.

Ok I'm rambling. Overall, I wind up about 50-50 when not working. But I try and make sure to enjoy every run no matter if I'm alone or not.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
May 27, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
For me skiing with friends/family is much more fun than alone. It sort of depends on where you're at, both for the day and in your life. Slipping away for a few hours at Whitetail is something I'd consider doing alone and at our busy local mtns you're hardly ever really "alone". But it would be kind of strange/selfish for me as a family man to continually enjoy a time (and $) consuming pastime like skiing and not engage my kids as well.

Before kids I usually skied with buddies. In my teens and twenties I had a season pass and used to ski by myself 40 or 50% of the time working on skills or blowing off energy, but best times were with others. In distant past I've done two western trips alone. You got to do what you got to do, but its not something I'd repeat often especially now that I have family that wants to ski with me. Even if going it alone, when skiing big/dangerous western terrain I think you should try to keep someone within hailing distance whenever you can. I don't do backcountry, but would not generally think of doing that alone, although I have gone on one or two hour cross country ski outings alone in semi-remote areas of PA, CO and VA.

Not that I'm any hot skier, but I've occasionally been in the situation where I want to try tougher terrain than my companions. Usually I would just dumb down my skiing, this gets easier to rationalize as you get older. Sometimes I break away for a few runs/hours, esp if at a new place I want to explore. Sometimes I'd talk companions into joining me on tougher terrain, regretted that more than once; for example when I saw my buddy sliding out of control on his head & tail most of the way down an icy double black (White Nitro) at Sugarloaf, ME in '97. Another time me and an Austrian guide rushed a buddy down three back to back runs of 3000' vert to get back to a base area by certain time. Buddy was not happy camper. Oh well, it's all good.
Roger Z
May 27, 2005
2,181 posts
In honor of Moonshine Mountain, we should also ask if anyone here drinks alone. That will be the core of the skiing community at Moonshine Mountain, the drink-ski-alone crowd.

On the ski alone subject, I took a trip by myself to Lake Tahoe two winters ago and spent the better part of my day at Northstar in the woods. At the base of the mountain, I was chatting with someone who works at the ski area and they said you are never supposed to enter the woods alone. I appreciate the reasoning behind it and understand where they're coming from, but that would virtually prohibit me from glade skiing out there, so it is a rule I choose to ignore (and also, because I know why they have that policy, should something ever happen to me glade skiing I would not sue anyone over it. Doesn't stop family members from suing if they want to but hopefully I won't die and open that possibility up). Skiing alone out of bounds, however, is a definite "no" in my books.
jimmy
May 27, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Hey Tick, Welcome to DCSki! Where do you ride?
jimmy
May 27, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

In honor of Moonshine Mountain, we should also ask if anyone here drinks alone. That will be the core of the skiing community at Moonshine Mountain, the drink-ski-alone crowd.

LOL, yeah my drinking alone rule is kind of like my skiing in the rain rule, I never ski in the rain unless it's raining...."Moonshine Mountain, the drink-alone, ski-alone least family friendly ski resort in America" ski it if you can (stand that is)......and I NEVER drink alone unless no one else will drink with me.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
May 27, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Every morning just before breakfast,
I don't want no coffee or tea
Just me and my good buddy Wiser,
that's all I ever need
'Cause I drink alone, yeah,
with nobody else
Yeah, you know when I drink alone,
I prefer to be by myself

The other night I laid sleeping,
and I woke from a terrible dream
So I called up my pal Jack Daniel's,
and his partner Jimmy Beam
And we drank alone, yeah,
with nobody else
I prefer to be by myself

-G. Thoroughgood
Tick
May 27, 2005
Member since 05/27/2005 🔗
41 posts
Jimmy, thanks for the welcome. Kind of weird for me to get onto this list server at the END of the ski season huh?
I live outside of Christiansburg and it's about 3 1/2 hours to Snowshoe (and I am NOT a Hokie, in case you were wondering). A few of the Virginia resorts are closer, but the conditions at Snowshoe make that extra drive worth it. How about you?

My whole family dun give up on me,
and it makes me feel oh so bad,
the only one who will hang out with me,
is my dear old grandad.

George
jimmy
May 27, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Tick, I'm a 7 springs & Timberline fan. No one calls me to see if I'm skiing just to ask where .

The other day I got invited to a party,
but I stayed home instead
Just me and my pal Johnny Walker,
and his brothers Black and Red
And we drank alone, yeah,
with nobody else
I prefer to be by myself
GT
tromano
May 27, 2005
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Now that it's may it seems all those DC skiers who ski alone are now drinkin alone.

I deffinately had a few wild years in College but since then my drinkin has been pretty tame. Now that I have to pay rent, food, skis, lift tickets, car, etc... who has money left for beer?
Murphy
May 27, 2005
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Quote:

Jimmy, thanks for the welcome. Kind of weird for me to get onto this list server at the END of the ski season huh?
I live outside of Christiansburg and it's about 3 1/2 hours to Snowshoe (and I am NOT a Hokie, in case you were wondering). A few of the Virginia resorts are closer, but the conditions at Snowshoe make that extra drive worth it. How about you?

Welcome to the board. I'm from just a few miles up the road in Blacksburg. I'm not a Hokie either but it is growing on me. (I at least would capitalize NOT in that sentence). You should catch up with RogerZ and I next winter and take a road trip up to Snowshoe. Maybe then I wouldn't have to ride the slopes alone
BushwackerinPA
May 27, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
I almost never ski alone for whole day, A couple skiers/ boarders that are near you alibiltiy(alittle better than you is better IMO) and have great attidude are invaluable to me(or anyone).
Roger Z
May 27, 2005
2,181 posts
Tick welcome and glad to hear you're down in God's country with the rest of the DC ex-pats (and Louisiana ex-pats in Murphy's case). Unfortunately I'm in DC right now and will be for the summer- we should get together to introduce in August.

Jimmy I'm liking you more and more with every post. A man who drinks alone and skis alone can't be all bad!

To quote another great George Thoroughgood remake:

"One bourbon, one scotch, and one beer!"
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?