Avalanche in May
6 posts
4 users
2k+ views
4 users
2k+ views
I know JimK normally does the news but I heard on the weather channel there was an avalanche inside the ski resort at A-Basin. I'm not finding a lot of information on it. Seems the Summit County Tourist Board is trying to keep this one quiet (yes I'm a conspiracy theorist).
CBS4
CBS4
http://geosurvey.state.co.us/avalanche/Default.aspx?tabid=383 -- Where the avalanche occured.
http://geosurvey.state.co.us/Avalanche/Default.aspx?tabid=44#AB05202005 -- Lots of news on the slide
http://geosurvey.state.co.us/Avalanche/Default.aspx?tabid=44#AB05202005 -- Lots of news on the slide
I like the avalanche sight. Much better than any news media could have done.
That death at Arapaho Basin is scary, especially because it occurred on open, in-bounds terrain not far from base lodge and parking lot. Apparently a current warm spell in Colorado raised the level of avalanche danger in a way even ski area patrol personnel weren't able to easily detect. Fortunately, deadly in-bounds avalanches are rare. According to the second site listed by WP Employee "In the United States -- prior to this accident -- there have been only 4 other skier-deaths (by avalanche) on open terrain since 1985." Nonetheless, it goes to show avalanche danger is not just in the realm of extreme back-country adventurers.
Now the real danger is that they may get washed away... http://www.fema.com/emanagers/2005/nat052305.shtm
Too much snow during the winter can have adverse side effects. How strange that Colorado has been in a drought for so many years and now they are worried about floods.

