Timberline Environs
12 posts
6 users
1k+ views
(Anonymous)
January 21, 2003
My family and I are headed to Timberline for a long weekend. I've not been there before, but look forward to plenty of skiing.

I'd like recommendations on two items, if you would:

1) Where off-site should we rent, and where in relation to the resort is that?

2) Where should we head out to eat at night?

ski_guy_59
January 21, 2003
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
Well I'd say try John's condo, but it's on site! Right off the slopes in fact!
EnkinTheMan
January 22, 2003
Member since 01/15/2003 🔗
4 posts
OnTheRoad, you might want to call Canaan Realty at 800.448.0074, they might have some ideas for you. As far as dining goes, I'm not too sure, as we always bring our food and eat at the house we rent. The realty company I'm sure can recommend something for you. Good luck.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 22, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Dining:

White Grass, Deerfield's, Golden Anchor (moderate)

Mr. Tucker's, Big John's, Sirianni's Pizza Cafe (cheap)

Cheaper hotels can be found in Davis, but it's a 12 mile drive--not worth it given the snowy road conditions we've had up there during the past week. Call Canaan or Mountaintop realty and try to book closer to the mountain.

If you want more info, feel free to e-mail me at johnfmh@yahoo.com

(Anonymous)
January 23, 2003
Hey, thanks for the info! You talking about food, or rentals, or an inside joke? What's the story?
canaanman
January 24, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Yeah... give the folk'll at Canaan or Mountaintop Realty a quick call, see if you can line anything up.

As far as food goes, you've got in the Valley Big John's, White Grass, Gigi's Pizza Cafe, Deerfield Village Restaurant, and if you drive about 15 minutes down the road to Davis you can go to Siriani's and other places.

I would suggest that you want to avoid the Golden Anchor at all costs. Service there is poor.

February 3, 2003
1,986 posts
I was going through the Mountaintop Realty listings today and noticed that the Golden Anchor Restaurant is for sale: $325,000.

"Beautiful setting with mountain views, thriving restaurant and bar, with space available above for 3,000 sq. ft. living quarters, refurbished 1800's barn."

http://www.mountaintoprealty.com/

Are there any great DC chefs looking for a lifestyle change? This would be a great opportunity. The restaurant features stunning views of Mount Porte Crayon.

Rich
February 3, 2003
Member since 11/30/2000 🔗
194 posts
If it were a: "thriving restaurant and bar" - why is it out of business? It wasn't really any good anyway! You won't find any "fine dining", but I am just as happy at the Canaan Resort resturant.
February 3, 2003
1,986 posts
Selling and going out of business are two different things, but I agree with you that the food was nothing to write home about.

Hopefully, someone will buy it and improve it. The seafood theme doesn't really work in WV. We could use another Italian restaurant or maybe even a Mexican place. I love burritos after a long day skiing. Yum

canaanman
February 4, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
john, you're forgetting that Porte Crayon is across a valley, meaning when that fog and snow and low visiblity rolls in like it often does, bye, bye view.
February 4, 2003
1,986 posts
I went over the summer. What I remember was sitting on their nice deck and enjoying late day views of Porte Crayon. The food was ordinary but the views were extraordinary. I still feel that someone could turn that restaurant into a hit, but that someone should start by dumping the seafood theme.
canaanman
February 7, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Well that and improving service. The last time I was there it took a full 3 hours to get service. The owner was out apologizing to people.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.