Atomic Metron B5 162cm review(very long)
6 posts
4 users
12k+ views
BushwackerinPA
April 10, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Skis -04-05 Metron B5 162cm aka the one ski quiver
Binding - Neox 612
Dimensions - 127-76-115 11m sidecut
Days used - 10

My ability level strong level 9,
Year skiing-3
Ave days a year - 93(i only got 73 days in this year lol)
21 years of age, 170 pounds, 5'9"

Ok you have more than likely seen the metron line up at ski shops and on the slopes, and i am here to tell believe the hype. There is not a better mid fat(well i am not even sure it can be called a mid fat a class of it own IMO) on the planet and i have skied alot of different skis. So hear is the review.

Short Raduis/ Fall line turns

Some people may not like the large waist, the dampness, or the weight, but these thing can do short turn very easily, the sweet spot is larger than excepted for 162 ski, So basically what i am saying almost no rebound unless you are really angulateing your turns, but they will hold on anything( including glare ice), and are not chore at all in short turns.

Carvered Turns - thing thing are hoot! They will carve on any type or types of snow and never be upset or lose a edge. Carving down some cordury and ice patch shows up, no problem, See an entire slope of death cookies/ crud go for it, spring condition you wil be able to anglate more on these than you other carving skis due to the wide waist and almost no risk of booting out. Basically it feel like a slow transitioning Sl ski, with more edge grip and versatilatey. They have no speed limit as far as I know. And yeah great All mountain carving skis, cant say anything more about them.

Powder- I got to ski this ski at jaypeak with about 10 inch of sun baked wet snow in the glades, these skis are the first mid fat i have skied that will float this stuff,i also got to skis 10inch fresh at Okemo, and on April 3rd at 7 springs when they got 6-12 inches of wind packed snow that day. This ski rocks in powder, i was able at 7 springs to carve and not sink in much at all, but spent most of are day skiing some weird lines on the right side of avalanche and the bumps of goosebumps(which buy the way seem so not steep after being to blue knob and VT), they do almost any turn shape you want hell even skid on top of the snow if you want, i cant wait to get a 2 foot snow day on them to try them out in some real powder but they should do great. At 7S 2 of my friend got to take a couple runs on them and were very very impressed with this skis powder snow ablitiy, A 120lb girl racer(every day ski 160cm R11), and a 150lb jibber(every day ski 170cm Amarda twin tips) they were very impressed by this skis powder skiing ablitiy and it edge hold on the ice that was around, if you are lucky enough to be this light i am willing to bet you would never have a problem in any powder snow condition on this ski.

Moguls/Glades - For such a stiff(and heavy) ski, with alot of sidecut, this ski is a surpriseing bump ski. It does not have the catchy feel of Sl skis in bumps and i think it is due to the torsinal stiffness. I skied bumps at killington(outer limits included), Jay peak, Okemo(flat groomed ego bumps), and even MRG. As long as this fat ass ski fit in the troughs or there was no troughs it preformed exceptionally well. even at Mad River Glen were there bump runs have ledges and trees throw in to the mix, Chute in to lift line was a blast even threw a 360 on one of the natural jumps on lift line. In glades they handle all the variable condition great, and are quick enough to turns.

Overall one hell of a ski, only downsides are the weight(only really noticed when caring them around) and going straight they do not like to go straight i have had some some of my scariest moments on these were a on flat trail going straight, the edges can catch and make it very well scary i have just learned to RR turn on all flats. Give these or even the M11s a try you will not be disappointed.
Glenn_C
April 10, 2005
Member since 11/14/2004 🔗
67 posts
Great review. I have a pair of R:8's with 412 bindings and love them. They are a heavier ski but that combined with the torsional stiffness makes it a virtual power plow when hitting ice and crud. I have noticed compared to my Fischers they are a little slower to initiate than the lighter skis but overall, I've been very pleased. Great hearing someone sing the praises of Atomic....seems like all I ever hear these days is Volkl Volkl Volkl. Great manufacturer but it's nice to hear somebody running different lines for a change.
skier219
April 10, 2005
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I'm skiing on Fischer RX-8 right now, and love them. But a lot of RX-8 owners on Epic Ski forums are raving about the Metrons. As far as I can tell, the only downside is the weight and even that might not matter for most people. I am looking forward to demoing some Metrons next season. I'd be glad to hear more feedback from other people who have tried them.

CRaig
tromano
May 27, 2005
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
"Short Raduis/ Fall line turns

Some people may not like the large waist, the dampness, or the weight, but these thing can do short turn very easily, the sweet spot is larger than excepted for 162 ski, So basically what i am saying almost no rebound unless you are really angulateing your turns, but they will hold on anything( including glare ice), and are not chore at all in short turns."

Nice review. Obviously the radius at 11m is pretty short. My one question, if they have no rebound as you said how come they are so good in short turns? I guess the big shovel just engages real quick.
BushwackerinPA
May 27, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Yeah no rebound(in short turns) is not acurate now that i look at this but it very little compared to my SL-9, the shape of the ski literally makes the turn for you, just dont expect Red Bull type movement unless you willing to work. Now for Long raduis park and ride sking they can generate a fair amount of rebound.
BushwackerinPA
May 5, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
whats funny is just went back on read this, and although I still like the Metrons, out at the bird I have been sking Gotamas nearly everyday.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.