Ski Storage
7 posts
5 users
1k+ views
TLaHaye
April 2, 2005
Member since 02/9/2005 🔗
136 posts
Well, it's that time of year folks. Time to store the gear.

Some years back, we stored boots in an attic in Texas. Oops! Tried them on the next year and they disintegrated. Apparently the heat fried the plastic.

Anyway, does anyone have tips for modern ski storage? I'm a skiing dinosaur, and remember how carefully we needed to block and strap skis in the dark ages, and the need to store them vertically.

What are the current tips and techniques for seasonal ski storage?
therusty
April 5, 2005
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Wax your skis, but don't scrape the wax off. Leave wax over the ski edges too. Store all gear in a cool, dry and dark place. I stand my skis and boards in a corner in the basement.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
April 5, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I have always been told to not let the body of the ski (usually the tails) rest on concrete.
The Colonel
Bill
April 6, 2005
Member since 01/5/2005 🔗
42 posts
I hang mine on ski hangers in my basement, wax them down good, and loosen the bindings. Been doing that for years and never had any problems. Loosening the bindings takes the pressure off and makes me take them in every fall for tuning !
kwillg6
April 6, 2005
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Over the years I have tried different storage methods, however, have found the following to work the best.
Skiis: Make sure the edges have good wax on them, otherwise oxidation WILL occur. I hang them, loosely strapped at the shovel and tail so not to flatten the ski's camber. I sometimes loosen the bindings by 50% and mark on the skiis, with tape, the number of turns I made in backing the dins down. I usually us a degreasing spray agent on the bindings since they accumulate a lot of gunk over the winter, then spray a little penetrating oil into the working parts, and wipe off excess.
Boots: I make sure they have been dried properly so there won't be any surprises in green growing stuff over the summer. I make sure the buckles are fastened tightly to insure the shape of the boot will be maintained. I usually put the boots on in late summer and walk around for 20/30 minutes, once a month, to keep the bladders conforming to my foot. Nothing is worse than putting boots on for the first day of the season and they don't seem to fit due to foot changes or bladder bloat. Store them in a safe, dry, clean place. Most garages, attics, and the basement are not advisable.
therusty
April 8, 2005
422 posts
Yeah - my basement has carpet.
therusty
April 8, 2005
422 posts
I was told by a ski shop a few years back that modern bindings did not benefit from loosening over the off season. Bindings usually get obsolete before they wear out. It does not hurt to loosen them though.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.